Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

When will she deliver?

jaschwartz123

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I owned two piggies around two years ago when they passed from old age. We recently adopted two new female piggies off of craigslist and took them to vet for a check up and found out they are both pregnant. The girls are about 1 1/2 and are very sweet and my kids adore them. Just wondering how to check to see when they will deliver and about how far along they are. Will try to post some pics later. I know that they say to check their pelvic bones but not really sure where to feel. Any suggestions?

meggymoomoo

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are pregnant for 10 weeks and that's about all I got. Oh and they tend to give birth early in the morning or in the evening. Sorry that's really all I got. :(

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
@YourSoJelly
That link has a lot of information in it that I would never recommend:

Extra Vitamins: It talks about adding more Vit.C and Calcium during and after pregnancy. I would suggest *maybe* adding more Vit. C because that could never hurt but DO NOT give a calcium table or anything along those lines. If you want to add more Calcium to her diet I would recommend higher calcium veggies, alfalfa based pellets or alfalfa hay, which is much safer than a tablet.

Removing Sows from other sows: In that link it talks about removing the sow away from other sows prior to delivery. It states that its dangerous to have her in with other sows, this is completely untrue. In most cases and from personal experience, other sows will mother and help care for the babies. I think that if what the writer of the site says is true, that this is very rare.

Handling Pups and Sow: It says not to for the first 2 weeks, again untrue. You can handle them right away. Just make sure they are still getting plenty of time with mom and remember that they are babies and very fragile.

Heat Lamp for Pups: This is not only not needed but it has potential for a fire. Some fleece bedding like a cozie/sack or some draped fleece works perfectly and is safe.

Weaning: There is no real "weaning" period that I am aware of. There is a time where you need to separate any male pups from the mother and sister, which is 21 days. Once separated, if they are all in good health you can rehome them. You don't have to do that right at 21 days, that is up to you, but the earliest is 21 days.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Jeeze, sorry. I looked Over the first couple of paragraphs and I though it wa the one I read when Sarabi was expecting. Sorry. Let me go find the other link.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
@YourSoJelly
That link has a lot of information in it that I would never recommend:

Extra Vitamins: It talks about adding more Vit.C and Calcium during and after pregnancy. I would suggest *maybe* adding more Vit. C because that could never hurt but DO NOT give a calcium table or anything along those lines. If you want to add more Calcium to her diet I would recommend higher calcium veggies, alfalfa based pellets or alfalfa hay, which is much safer than a tablet.

Removing Sows from other sows: In that link it talks about removing the sow away from other sows prior to delivery. It states that its dangerous to have her in with other sows, this is completely untrue. In most cases and from personal experience, other sows will mother and help care for the babies. I think that if what the writer of the site says is true, that this is very rare.

Handling Pups and Sow: It says not to for the first 2 weeks, again untrue. You can handle them right away. Just make sure they are still getting plenty of time with mom and remember that they are babies and very fragile.

Heat Lamp for Pups: This is not only not needed but it has potential for a fire. Some fleece bedding like a cozie/sack or some draped fleece works perfectly and is safe.

Weaning: There is no real "weaning" period that I am aware of. There is a time where you need to separate any male pups from the mother and sister, which is 21 days. Once separated, if they are all in good health you can rehome them. You don't have to do that right at 21 days, that is up to you, but the earliest is 21 days.

Calcium is very important for bone development of the pups during pregnancy, as well as milk production of the mother post pregnancy. My exotic vet recommended upping both intake of vit c and calcium and I've read plenty of articles on calcium uptake being vital in almost all animal species for the same exact reasons aforementioned. I up'd calcium and vit c through vegetable preference though and not in a tablet form. HOWEVER that being said, a lot of the other information isn't accurate.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The increased need for calcium during pregnancy is why pregnant sows are given unlimited alfalfa pellets and other high calcium vegetables. There's quite a bit of research showing that calcium from biological sources is less problematic than pure supplements as far as stones are concerned.

jaschwartz123

Cavy Slave
I have been giving both alfalfa and timothy hay. They tend to eat that better than their food. They had other guinea pigs there running around on the floor so pretty sure they just didn't care about the girls and if they did end up pregnant. They said they had to move and that was the reason they were getting rid of them. My main concern is if they go into labor and I'm not here. I know that according to a rescue that I've been talking to they may not have any problems giving birth but I don't want to take that chance and then have something happen as I don't know if they have had a previous litter. My American guinea pig, Willow is huge and the vet said that she was only having one. Starting to wonder if the vet is crazy, but they are the closest cavy vet within 50 miles. I have been able to feel the baby move and kick and can also see the movements on the outside of mom. My Abyssinian Lily is much smaller, so thinking she got pregnant shortly before I got her. I've felt a little flutter but she doesn't really like to be handled, even to come out of her cage for exercise. Going to go look at materials for a C&C cage this weekend. I have them in their own cages right next to each other but they shared a little one when I got them and it was just too small. I will definitely check out the guinealynx page. Thanks!

laurie8504

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
i found this diagram on pregnant guinea pig stages helpful...just be very gentle. Cup your hands around the bulbs on her sides gently to feel for the babies.

(broken link removed)

hope this helps

forgot to mention...i don't hold mine upside down like is shown on the diagram because my pig doesn't like it.

jaschwartz123

Cavy Slave
Took Willow in tonight to the vet because she hasn't been eating as much and found out that she is having four babies, not 1 but 4. Wow.

laurie8504

Cavy Slave
aww, that's exciting! I hope you'r piggy starts eating better. I would love to see pigtures!

jaschwartz123

Cavy Slave
Lily had one little one today. Little orange and white fuzzball. The first baby guinea pig they have seen at the vet office here in town. I will have to figure out how to post on here from my phone so you guys can see!

jaschwartz123

Cavy Slave
Willow had four babies today, but one didn't make it.

NormaS

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your babies. So sorry one of the little ones didn't make it. Post pictures.

jaschwartz123

Cavy Slave
DSCF0065.jpgDSCF0069.jpgDSCF0066.jpgDSCF0067.jpgDSCF0068.jpgIn the last pigture from left to right is Ginger, Jack, the one that we haven't named yet and Two Face. Two face has a half white and half black face.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
Cute!! Are you able to keep them all?

NormaS

Cavy Slave
Cuteness overdose! They are absolutely adorable!

laurie8504

Cavy Slave
they are so cute! :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.