Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior identify this sound

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
hmm? - YouTube

i'd like help with identifying the sound my piggy is making :) i know for sure its not her 'durrrr'/go away noise. my husband says it sounds like a drowning squeaky door........

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'll take a crack at it, but I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions. Our pigs make this sound when I'm petting them, usually right after I get them out for laptime and before they are comfortably settled (mentally, at least). It's kind of like, "What are you doing? What are you doing? Should I be alarmed? I kinda' like it, but, what's next? Should I be alarmed? What are you doing now? Where is that hand going?" When I take my hand off them, the sound immediately stops (it's very funny), and when I pet again, it immediately starts again.

They also make a similar sound when I pet their underbelly, which they seem to be concerned about, but not enough to be making that durring noise.

When they are settled comfortably and really like what I'm doing (I think), they make sort of a soft putter-y noise that is also quietly squeaky. If that makes any sense.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
when i get mine out for laptime, before they're comfortably settled one will make the 'durr' noise if i pet her. this happens after she's had her veggies and is getting some pats. i really can't tell if she likes it or not, because i definitely give her room to escape if she doesnt :p

thanks for sharing your opinion, can't wait to see what others have experienced with this noise too! :D

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
My computer is being tempermental and wouldn't let me listen to the last one. Though I've been on some of those sites before.

I think the body language is equally important to figuring out what they're saying. Bella & Layla are our first gpigs; sometimes it's really hard to figure out what they're saying to us. Although nipping is pretty clear! lol

I would assume their language is universal, but maybe not. Maybe a bonded pair have their own language that is their own (to a degree). Like you and I both speak English but have cultural influences that affect the way we say certain things. Hmmm...things to ponder. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think it's a nervous or stressed sound. It's not like a purring sound that means they're agitated or showing dominance. Mine make this squeaky sound if another one comes close to them when they're eating their veggies. They aren't warning the other one but are concerned that the other one might try and take it.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
My male guinea pig will sometimes make this sound at his cage mate and at me when he is scared or stressed. A "go away" of sorts, not too different from an annoyed whine a toddler would make.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i'm guessing this is sounding more like a whiney sound ^^
there really should be a sound guide for this forum :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
i'm guessing this is sounding more like a whiney sound ^^
there really should be a sound guide for this forum :D

I think you have to assess what the situation is and read their body language when they make sounds because with the limited number of vocalizations they make, they use the same sounds for different things sometimes.

Skfrpb

Cavy Slave
I think it may depend on the guinea pig. When my pigs get out for floor time they squeel like its the end of the world running around popcorning but i've read every where the sound they're making means they're scared, when I know they're not.
My pig armani makes that same exact sound when I first pick her up, she hates the process of being picked up, but once I sit down with her that noise dies down and she starts chilling and purring and going to sleep in my lap.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
I have one pig with a whiny grumbley squeak and she makes that noise when I stroke her chin and she starts rolling over so I can reach her tummy too which I assume means she likes it.
I have another girl who makes that noise if you go near her back legs. If you then touch her back legs she will then break out into a shouting, screaming and stamping fit so I guess she doesn't like that!

I think it could depend on the piggy, watch her and see if there are any other signs to tell you if its good or bad.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
oh WOW @Iklepink you've got some piggies with personality! sounds like lots of fun, mine REFUSE to be on their backs or lie sideways much.

good points though about body language. she's only started making this sound yesterday and i don't get nips/kicks/rumbles so i was really unsure and i don't want to keep doing something she hates :guilty:

i'll continue to see if she makes that sound in other situations :) thanks for the help everyone!

LC Kiko

Cavy Slave
My pig makes this noise when he isn't particularly happy or a bit nervous. He usually does it when I pet his belly, which he doesn't like at all, or if he is around new people.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.