Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any Writers Out There?

@cavykaitlyn Thank you so much! I'm glad you like my drawing. :D

@madelineelaine
It used to be all handwritten, but then I typed it (AGONIZING) and it is 23 pages on OpenOffice (Word for Macs). I'll pick up THREE at the end of July (when I finish my camp novella) and elaborate on the diner a bit. I'll ask my grandmother if we can go. It's a real place! I love it so much. It's where we first came up with the idea from a game we were playing. The characters (three because of me and my two sisters) have many of our traits. Ruth is so tiny because the girl she's based off of is 7 and like, 4'8".
So yeah, I'll do a little throwback in August.
If anyone wants to read the whole thing just PM me your email if it's okay (kids need to check with their parents) and I'll send you the document. Thanks guys :)

Just noticed this thread. Nice to see other writers out there! I do non-fiction myself, including a pet supplies column for About.com, a theme park column for Examiner.com, and some print work in magazines like Animal Wellness. I also sold a counseling career guide through a traditional publisher and do my own line of ebooks. Not as exciting as writing fiction, but it pays the bills.

That's cool @mufasa ! I don't think I could put up with nonfiction. It would have to be in a special interest field. I could do a column on piggies :p

I actually have a writing site, if any of you guys are interested. I am the admin, so just let me know guys! :D (broken link removed)

@YourSoJelly I would like to join, however, it doesn't seem very active, even from the staffing side. I can't find anything new. Have you made posts recently that I can't see? The ones on the sidebar say "over a year ago".

That's a good idea though. Maybe once you show me the newer posts (because I'm just not smart atm) I'll join up! I'll probably go by either my Camp NaNo name (Camp Char) or Charybdis. I don't think I'll be sharing anything that doesn't have a copyright :) how do you get one of those? Just say you have one? Yours on the site needs to be updated as well (not to be rude but to prevent stealing) as it says copyright 2012. Thanks so much Jelly! Sounds really fun :D

@YourSoJelly I would like to join, however, it doesn't seem very active, even from the staffing side. I can't find anything new. Have you made posts recently that I can't see? The ones on the sidebar say "over a year ago".

That's a good idea though. Maybe once you show me the newer posts (because I'm just not smart atm) I'll join up! I'll probably go by either my Camp NaNo name (Camp Char) or Charybdis. I don't think I'll be sharing anything that doesn't have a copyright :) how do you get one of those? Just say you have one? Yours on the site needs to be updated as well (not to be rude but to prevent stealing) as it says copyright 2012. Thanks so much Jelly! Sounds really fun :D
I am actually current doing re-doing everything! :D

Ahhh okay. That makes a lot more sense :) tell me when you're done, I'll join for sure! :D

@cavykaitlyn, there is also going to be an animal section! :D My site is an all rounder!

Like a boss Jelly! I love animals! Joining now! :)

I like non-fiction writing also, to be honest.

Fascinating @TheMuffinPiggy . I like reading it, but sometimes writing it is just a pain. There's so much research to be done. I prefer to read things on Ancient Egypt, anything will do. I read a book that was translated from French to English (and therefore was not as consistent as it should have been) that was on the medical science behind Ramses II and other famous mummies. I believe Amenhotep IV was in there as well. As was Tutankhamun, of course, but I just hate learning about him. His story just makes me want to kill Howard Carter over and over again. And I HATE IT when people call him "King Tut". Give the full name, please. He has one, you know. It's like calling Jacqueline Jack. It's simply disrespectful. No one seems to get that you don't use nicknames for royalty, and even those you respect and honor. Especially when they tell you not to (or can't tell you not to).
I saw black-and-white pictures of the mummies, which were fascinating as well. Crumbling, of course, but interesting. The book was published in English in 1989, so no color. It was written by a French doctor. I loved it! Anatomical subjects and descriptions of ancient wounds on the mummies, sometimes created by tomb robbers...all of it I took in. BUT they should not put Tutankhamun's things in a museum. Beautiful as they are, they are HIS. Makes me so angry when people think they have the right to touch them!
Tutankhamun's name changes after Akhenaten has gone because his original name was Nebkheperure Tutankhaten, to reflect Aten. His newer name is to reflect Amun.

Sorry, Ancient Egypt has been my obsession for several long years. Recurring special interest. Which means if I get back into it, there's no going back lol.

That was severely off-topic. We were talking about nonfiction. Oh wait, that was nonfiction, and it was writing! I'm not as silly and absent-minded as I thought! :)

Fascinating @TheMuffinPiggy . I like reading it, but sometimes writing it is just a pain. There's so much research to be done. I prefer to read things on Ancient Egypt, anything will do. I read a book that was translated from French to English (and therefore was not as consistent as it should have been) that was on the medical science behind Ramses II and other famous mummies. I believe Amenhotep IV was in there as well. As was Tutankhamun, of course, but I just hate learning about him. His story just makes me want to kill Howard Carter over and over again. And I HATE IT when people call him "King Tut". Give the full name, please. He has one, you know. It's like calling Jacqueline Jack. It's simply disrespectful. No one seems to get that you don't use nicknames for royalty, and even those you respect and honor. Especially when they tell you not to (or can't tell you not to).
I saw black-and-white pictures of the mummies, which were fascinating as well. Crumbling, of course, but interesting. The book was published in English in 1989, so no color. It was written by a French doctor. I loved it! Anatomical subjects and descriptions of ancient wounds on the mummies, sometimes created by tomb robbers...all of it I took in. BUT they should not put Tutankhamun's things in a museum. Beautiful as they are, they are HIS. Makes me so angry when people think they have the right to touch them!
Tutankhamun's name changes after Akhenaten has gone because his original name was Nebkheperure Tutankhaten, to reflect Aten. His newer name is to reflect Amun.

Sorry, Ancient Egypt has been my obsession for several long years. Recurring special interest. Which means if I get back into it, there's no going back lol.

That was severely off-topic. We were talking about nonfiction. Oh wait, that was nonfiction, and it was writing! I'm not as silly and absent-minded as I thought! :)

LOL~! I did an essay about Ancient Greek Pets not to long ago :)

Ancient Greek PETS? THAT is interesting! How did you even do RESEARCH for that? Surely it wouldn't be documented that well!

Oh, I like Greek Mythology. Romans' mythology is just annoying :/

Looking at my quote, I realize how much of an angry rant I made... :)

Haha, yeah it was really fun to do! I actually managed to find some websites with info. I even found one about the NAMES og pet in Ancient Greece! Romans actually take better care of their pets, lol.

I'll bet they do!
Wow, that's incredible! I never thought about their pets...

@cavykaitlyn Have you ever considered writing a story set in ancient Egypt, or in a fantasty setting similar to ancient Egypt? It sounds like it's something you're fascinated with, so research would be fun for you. I love doing research for my books, because medieval/Renaissance history is something I love along with science, cultures, and all the other random things I've read about over the course of my writing. Often times, the best things to write about are the things you love most. :)

@PrincessPiggy That sounds SO boss lol. I never thought about doing that! Bast(et) is my Goddess, so maybe something with Her in it? I'm sure She would love it! Bast is an Ancient Egyptian Cat Goddess (although before cats were domesticated at that time She was a Lioness). The cats that roamed Egypt were Her children. They were sacred. They still are to some, like me :) It was considered a sin to kill Her children. Cats were (after death) mummified with just as much respect and dignity as was saved for humans. They're beautiful creatures. I want one very badly, but my dad's eyes get itchy and things when he's around them, so he won't let me :/ I thought you could take medication to help with that...?

I will do more research, get more books! It may only be a short story or novella though. Sounds tough. But it would be SO fun to research for! That's really cool you like Medieval times! Shakespeare is pretty good. I like his "The Tradgedie of Julius Caesar" a lot. I have a copy of it (after accidentally keeping it from school). I also have the Shakespearean-only version on my Kindle Fire. Very fun to read! :)

@PrincessPiggy That sounds SO boss lol. I never thought about doing that! Bast(et) is my Goddess, so maybe something with Her in it? I'm sure She would love it! Bast is an Ancient Egyptian Cat Goddess (although before cats were domesticated at that time She was a Lioness). The cats that roamed Egypt were Her children. They were sacred. They still are to some, like me :) It was considered a sin to kill Her children. Cats were (after death) mummified with just as much respect and dignity as was saved for humans. They're beautiful creatures. I want one very badly, but my dad's eyes get itchy and things when he's around them, so he won't let me :/ I thought you could take medication to help with that...?

I will do more research, get more books! It may only be a short story or novella though. Sounds tough. But it would be SO fun to research for! That's really cool you like Medieval times! Shakespeare is pretty good. I like his "The Tradgedie of Julius Caesar" a lot. I have a copy of it (after accidentally keeping it from school). I also have the Shakespearean-only version on my Kindle Fire. Very fun to read! :)
You totally should!!! I love cats too!!! I have 2 kittens! Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can get medication for that. You should look into it! Could you post it on here if you do write something??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.