Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Adding friend, little space to work with...need ideas.

MadzMaddy97

Cavy Slave
Hey, I'm new to being a cavy mom, and I keep my guinea pig, Yui in my room, she's currently in a cage thats about 2x4, and I've been wanting to get another guinea pig for her. The issue is that I bought her from petsmart and she was by herself, she's been by herself since and she's now 6ish months old and has, as far as I know never been with another guinea pig.

I know it can be dangerous to just put another guinea pig in the cage. I have a divider for her current cage[origionally it's supposed to seperate her eating area from her sleeping area]. If I were to put the divider in her cage so each guinea pig had equal space that'd leave them both with a 2x2 space. Is that too small? I mean it probably is because each guinea pig should have minimum of 7 square feet right?

The main issue is that my room is small, and her cage takes up a lot of space as is...so adding an extension[which this current cage is able to do] would only take up more space, so I was thinking about building up but I don't know how to do that, and I don't know if I'd be able to separate another guinea pig with a setup like that until...or even if they got used to each other?
Also, how do I add pictures? I'd like to show off her current cage. Any ideas anyone has are welcomed!

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you get another pig, don't separate the cage like that.

1) You'll have to keep the new pig quarantined in another room for 3 weeks to prevent any illness spreading to your current pig. You can skip the quarantine if the new pig comes from a rescue that has already done quarantine.

2) Do a proper introduction after the quarantine period. Follow the instructions on this page: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

3) You can maximize the cage space by removing all the houses. Drape fleece or hand towel over the corner of the cage. They can use those as hideys without taking away the running room.

Edit to add:
Since your pig came from the pet store, please verify the gender before acquiring another pig. Also verify the gender of the new pig. Don't trust anyone else.

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

The cage you have may work for two females, depending on how well they get along.
Here's the size reference.
5ac27ec1e9ee8bbe9e3f95b6b24f4780.jpg

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs need a flat area to run in. Different levels don't really count toward cage space.

Here's how you introduce pigs: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. You shouldn't need dividers, and 2x2 is way too small for one guinea pig. You need a minimum of about 10 square feet for two pigs.

When you write a reply, or start a thread, there are little icons above the box. The third from the right is the "insert image" button. Click it and follow the directions.

There are hundreds of pictures of cages in the Photo Galleries.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
If you do proper introductions you can house 2 guinea pigs in a 2x4 (female pigs - male pigs need a minimum of a 2x5 for two of them) https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm - You can't just "throw" another pig in the cage with your pig. I'd definitely look into shelters or any place where you can adopt a guinea pig. Don't take anyone's word on the pig's sex - turn it over and check it yourself :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The 2x4 that @Nannub is referring to is 2x4 grids, not feet. The grids are 14 inches on a side, so a 2x4 C&C cage is considerably bigger than a 2x4 feet one is.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
The 2x4 that @Nannub is referring to is 2x4 grids, not feet. The grids are 14 inches on a side, so a 2x4 C&C cage is considerably bigger than a 2x4 feet one is.
My bad @bpatters, thought she was talking about a 2x4 grids c&c cage :( (well I assumed lol) thanks for the clarification!!! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Nannub, no problem. She didn't specify feet or grids, and I just wanted to head off any confusion.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think the cage in question is a Midwest, since she mentioned it comes with a divider for eating area.

MadzMaddy97

Cavy Slave
20170120_171054[1].jpgThis is my guinea pigs cage, it's 2x4 feet, which means it's 8 square feet. I guess I'll need to get a bigger cage before I get another guinea pig. But my room is small because it was built for me[basically took half the dining room and sectioned it off and added a door]. Which is why I was asking about getting a cage ontop of the one she's currently in...that is the same size so that they can go into each others spaces but have their own individual spaces while they're getting to know each other? Would that work? I'm not sure if that's clear enough.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You'll need to do introductions and keep them together in that cage, preferably buying another one and attaching them together. Also, while I'm here, it's not healthy for your pig just to be on pee pads, they need a layer of fleece over it so they're not walking on wet areas where they've peed. It can cause multiple health problems.

MadzMaddy97

Cavy Slave
Oh....thank you. I'll fix that right away.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave

MadzMaddy97

Cavy Slave
I've put a layer of fleece down, but I'm not sure if it's doing it's job? Yui pees and poops in her sleeping area[why I have two so she hopefully picks one and sleeps in the other] but the fleece is wet as well? How often should I be changing the bedding? Once a day?...if so I need more fleece. :[
Also, paper bedding v.s. fleece? The fleece and peepads are waaay less expensive but I feel like the paper bedding held more liquid better if that makes sense? It's easier to spot clean for pee but not poop. Which is better for guinea pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What are you putting under the fleece? It has to have an absorbent layer underneath to work properly.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
You can't bundle up the fleece like the previous picture, but have one flat layer of fleece over an absorbent layer. Also make sure your fleece is wicking properly, meaning water can pass through.

MadzMaddy97

Cavy Slave
Im using xl pee pads, 2[because they bleed through? They arent supposed to though. But the 2nd layer of pee pad catches anything leaking] layered on each side of the cage is what im using as the absorbing layer.

Ive bought fleece throws from walmart snd cut them down to size. Will that be okay? They do wick water but idk if its properly.. I put it ontop of a towel and poured a tablespoon of water on it then waited a few minutes...it was a barely damp but it was just a little? Is that normal? The towel soaked up most of it. I havent tried it with the pee pad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.