Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Should i get another guinea pig to my lone senior one?

LizGo

Cavy Gazer
i have a female guinea pig that is 4.5 years old, and i had her since she was a month old. she lives alone ever since. i didn't know you should keep guinea pig at pairs and my cage was too small for 2 guinea pigs. now i have a new big cage and i want to bring her a friend, but i'm afraid they wouldn't get along since my guinea pig lived alone her whole life. i spend a lot of time with her, but i think another guinea pig would be the best for her. should i get another one?

pinky

Cavy Slave
i have a female guinea pig that is 4.5 years old, and i had her since she was a month old. she lives alone ever since. i didn't know you should keep guinea pig at pairs and my cage was too small for 2 guinea pigs. now i have a new big cage and i want to bring her a friend, but i'm afraid they wouldn't get along since my guinea pig lived alone her whole life. i spend a lot of time with her, but i think another guinea pig would be the best for her. should i get another one?

I'd contact any rescues you have in the area to see if you can bring her to choose her friend. They have preferences, just like people.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @pinky. And sows are usually pretty easy to introduce. Not always, but usually.

I just had a lone senior sow, and got two other seniors to go with her. The difference in her behavior is amazing since she's got friends in the cage. But she had had cagemates before, although she'd been alone for several months by the time I got the others.

If you do get another one, read this on how to introduce them: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

LizGo

Cavy Gazer
We dont have Guinea pig rescues, I live in Israel.. should i choose a baby guinea pig? it will be easier to bond? My biggest worry is that because she was alone her whole life she doesnt know how to act around guinea pigs, and even wpuld be annoyed by a new guinea pig.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
One thing to consider is that 4.5 years old isn't really senior. She could have 4 or even 5 more years left. Why not let her spend those years with a friend? I bet you'll see an amazing difference in her personality. Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She might bond more easily with a baby than with another pig, but it really depends on the pig personalities more than the age.

LizGo

Cavy Gazer
thank you so much guys!!! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.