Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Updated cages!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Still not perfect, still not ideal. I'm not going to be making new liners until Artemis and Luna are out of quarantine, as I am hoping they will all live together and I can expand up to a 3X5, maybe even with a loft if I can work out the practicalities of making it stand without taking up room on the bottom floor.

But this weekend I have been extremely busy making all new soft furnishings for the girls. I ended up with 4 snuggle sacks (addictive, I could sew those all day long), two cuddle cups (those are harder than I expected and mine are sort of a mess tbh), a clothie tunnel, two fleece bivvies, a quilted corner house and then another fleecey forest from my scraps.

I'm so happy. The girls are absolutely loving it. It took Luna a while to figure out what a cuddle cup was, but now she won't leave it, she's just the comfiest wee piggy. They've all been spoiled and it's another step towards lots of good things for all 4 of my girls.

(Also, I am -crazy- about that unicorn fabric. Such a find!)

(Also also, Luna and Artemis do have hay, I just hadn't put it in before I took this.)

(Also also also I am aware that blue fleece is looking very tired. It will be replaced next month, don't fear!)

DSC_0224 (2).jpg DSC_0250 (2).jpg

DSC_0241.jpg DSC_0248 (2).jpg

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wow! You've been busy, and they look like the happiest little girls!

Luna looks especially pleased lol!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Thank you! And thank you for that link :D I've run out of grids so it's a bit of a cobble job atm with an old run panel ^^;

I used to do costume making so really I had no excuse not to try lol, but I hadn't touched my sewing machine for five years before this weekend so I had a few disasters that had to be unpicked XD

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Oh how I wish I could sew!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Honestly guys, just give it a crack! The sleeping sacks are very easy and very cost effective to make! Even if you start with one rectangle of fleece sewn together into an open square and start from there :)

Have to say, I find sewing for them so addictive I am wondering about an Etsy store once I have practiced a few more times/adjusted some of the patterns... The corner house I made without a pattern, just winged it, and one of the main issues I had was I snapped two needles on the thickness of the fabrics, need to rejigger that a bit. It's slightly messy due to this. But Luna and Artie don't seem to care!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Honestly guys, just give it a crack! The sleeping sacks are very easy and very cost effective to make! Even if you start with one rectangle of fleece sewn together into an open square and start from there :)

Have to say, I find sewing for them so addictive I am wondering about an Etsy store once I have practiced a few more times/adjusted some of the patterns... The corner house I made without a pattern, just winged it, and one of the main issues I had was I snapped two needles on the thickness of the fabrics, need to rejigger that a bit. It's slightly messy due to this. But Luna and Artie don't seem to care!

I'm working on a hand-sewn snuggle sack but I really am not that creative and don't own a sewing machine! My fleece bedding is just layers of uhaul and fleece laid down on top of each other.
You know.... if you needed someone else to practice on for getting items ready for an etsy store, I would happily volunteer myself and my piggies for cuddle cups or snuggle sacks..... :eek:

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I'm working on a hand-sewn snuggle sack but I really am not that creative and don't own a sewing machine! My fleece bedding is just layers of uhaul and fleece laid down on top of each other.
You know.... if you needed someone else to practice on for getting items ready for an etsy store, I would happily volunteer myself and my piggies for cuddle cups or snuggle sacks..... :eek:

My fleece is like that at the moment simply because I couldn'y find anywhere to get U-Haul here, so they've always been lined with towels and newspaper underneath. But I have found a UK equivalent on Amazon with a few good reviews from guinea pig owners so going to make proper liners next month once they're ready to move.

Duly noted hehehe ;)

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
UK equivalent? Bah! I could trade with some real uhaul liners sent to you....

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
UK equivalent? Bah! I could trade with some real uhaul liners sent to you....

Wouldn't the shipping be absolutely horrific on that? I imagine they are heavy?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
They aren't super heavy, but yeah, I imagine the shipping would be more than the cost of the liners...

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
They aren't super heavy, but yeah, I imagine the shipping would be more than the cost of the liners...

Yeah, that's what concerns me, when I last shipped something to the states that weighed over a kilo the shipping was over £40!! It was ridiculous, it was just a few bags of sweets and some plushies, the contents of the box was probably worth about £10 >.<

Don't worry though, I am sure I will have a few practice runs that will need good homes >.> My girls can't be buried in cosies after all!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
WOW! That's A LOT! My Cavalier twitter friends (dorkily self-named the Cavpack) send lots of treaties back and forth across the Atlantic as most of them live in the UK and there are quite a bunch of us in the U.S. too, and postage never seems that high!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
WOW! That's A LOT! My Cavalier twitter friends (dorkily self-named the Cavpack) send lots of treaties back and forth across the Atlantic as most of them live in the UK and there are quite a bunch of us in the U.S. too, and postage never seems that high!

It's to do the brackets Royal Mail has here. Anything over a certain size and it's treated as a large parcel, so it can be down either to size or weight. It jumps very sharply from about £4 to a letter, to about £11 for a small parcel, then straight up to £40 odd for anything bigger. It's -painful-. I have a few international friends and we exchange care packages of mainly candy, (British chocolate is like gold dust apparently), but can only do it a couple of times a year because it is so pricey.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
It's to do the brackets Royal Mail has here. Anything over a certain size and it's treated as a large parcel, so it can be down either to size or weight. It jumps very sharply from about £4 to a letter, to about £11 for a small parcel, then straight up to £40 odd for anything bigger. It's -painful-. I have a few international friends and we exchange care packages of mainly candy, (British chocolate is like gold dust apparently), but can only do it a couple of times a year because it is so pricey.

Yum, chocolate! I just tweeted to UHaul that they should start carrying the liners in the U.K. because we love them so much as guinea pig bedding here! lol

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Haha I wish! The closest I have found is moving blankets that are a recycled fabric blend, they're not purely recycled denim so I don't know what their longevity will be like, but honestly just towels tend to last a good year, so my hopes are fairly high.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
They immediately replied that they are going to pass the message along to their marketing department. I made sure it caught the attention of at least a few piggie people on Twitter too so it has been re-tweeted and I responded showing them exactly which pad you need over there lol

Not that it really means anything, but who knows? Big companies always like finding new markets into which they can expand.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
They immediately replied that they are going to pass the message along to their marketing department. I made sure it caught the attention of at least a few piggie people on Twitter too so it has been re-tweeted and I responded showing them exactly which pad you need over there lol

Not that it really means anything, but who knows? Big companies always like finding new markets into which they can expand.

Oh wow, well done you!!

I hope they do expand over here. Finding C&C resources in the UK is much harder so anything that makes it's way over the shores would be a blessing!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, well done you!!

I hope they do expand over here. Finding C&C resources in the UK is much harder so anything that makes it's way over the shores would be a blessing!

Wahoo!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.