Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick I'm so scared ... What are these red cucumber slice looking things in her cage ..

Ak47007

Cavy Gazer
This happened last night. (broken link removed) pics attached . I think that's blood but I'm not sure .. Also there are these slices of red things . They aren't food so I'm confused . She is on antibiotics for sneezing and I provide her vit c everyday along with veges . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It looks like the bedding adsorb bloody urine.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Correct, the bedding is absorbing Some sort of bloody release. That disk thing looks like squished bloody poop to me, well to be honest it looks like a Rosehip but squished bloody poop is more likely. What do you mean she is on antibiotics for sneezing? What antibiotics is she on, how much, for how long, and what vet put her on them? And exotic vet or a cat and dog vet?

Ak47007

Cavy Gazer
Correct, the bedding is absorbing Some sort of bloody release. That disk thing looks like squished bloody poop to me, well to be honest it looks like a Rosehip but squished bloody poop is more likely. What do you mean she is on antibiotics for sneezing? What antibiotics is she on, how much, for how long, and what vet put her on them? And exotic vet or a cat and dog vet?

The vet is here : https://www.plantationanimalhosp.com
I will get the name of the medicine in a little bit . she is on antibiotics because she kept sneezing. I think she is on it for 2 weeks . this is something serious ?? And thank you for the quick response

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We need to know what antibiotic she is on, what strength (either percent or milligrams/milliliter), and how much of it she is taking.

Are you giving her a probiotic after each antibiotic administration? Antibiotics are really hard on a pig's digestive tract, and a probiotic may mean the difference in being able to continue with the antibiotic versus having to get off of it.

That's NOT an exotic vet, and small animal (dog and cat) vets get little or no training in care of exotics. The reputable ones won't even see cavies, because they know they don't know how to take care of them.

But I don't see what you think looks like a cucumber in the cage.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
So a cat and dog vet? There is a chance that vet prescribed medicine that was not safe for guineas, or else too high a dose. Cat and dog vets are only trained to take care of cats and dogs, whereas exotic vets care for guineas, rabbits, birds, mice, hamsters, and pretty much everything else except livestock.
I wouldn't have given the piggy a full course of antibiotics just for sneezing, did the vet actually find anything wrong with the piggy, or just send you put the door with a prescription. I'm hesitant to say to stop the antibiotics without knowing if the vet actually found anything wrong

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Dr.April Romagnan DVM
Animal and Exotic Medical Center
Lake Howell Animal Clinic
Here are some exotic vets in mid-Florida to go to

Ak47007

Cavy Gazer
We need to know what antibiotic she is on, what strength (either percent or milligrams/milliliter), and how much of it she is taking.

Are you giving her a probiotic after each antibiotic administration? Antibiotics are really hard on a pig's digestive tract, and a probiotic may mean the difference in being able to continue with the antibiotic versus having to get off of it.

That's NOT an exotic vet, and small animal (dog and cat) vets get little or no training in care of exotics. The reputable ones won't even see cavies, because they know they don't know how to take care of them.

But I don't see what you think looks like a cucumber in the cage.

HERE IS THE MEDICINE : Enrofloxin oral susp 25 mg(2 mg dose) FOR 2WEEKS

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then go get some Bene-Bac if you can find it. Gel is better, but powder will do. Petsmart/Petco may have it, or go back to your vet and get some. Give her a dose one hour after every dose of antibiotic.

Also, feed her every time she gets a dose of the Baytril (enrofloxacin). Get some Critical Care, probably available at the same places. See if she'll just eat a big glob of it, but if not, you'll have to hand feed. Post back her and let us know if you can find it, and we'll give you some handfeeding instructions.

Baytril will probably kill her appetite, but guinea pigs MUST eat all the time or they'll die. So you'll probably have to hand feed for several days.

Ak47007

Cavy Gazer
Then go get some Bene-Bac if you can find it. Gel is better, but powder will do. Petsmart/Petco may have it, or go back to your vet and get some. Give her a dose one hour after every dose of antibiotic.

Also, feed her every time she gets a dose of the Baytril (enrofloxacin). Get some Critical Care, probably available at the same places. See if she'll just eat a big glob of it, but if not, you'll have to hand feed. Post back her and let us know if you can find it, and we'll give you some handfeeding instructions.

Baytril will probably kill her appetite, but guinea pigs MUST eat all the time or they'll die. So you'll probably have to hand feed for several days.

Right now is she in critical condition ? And once I get those medicines she should be ok? Also what is critical care. Anything else I can do to help my poor guinea pig ?

Ak47007

Cavy Gazer
Also the doctor prescribed that medicine because of sinus infection .. I'm scared to continue giving the medicine . can sneezing and sinus infection go away itself after a while ? I don't know maybe I'm over thinking

scoottie

Cavy Slave
91oPL9IsQ8L__SY679_.jpgthis is critical care

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
How is she acting? Don't stop the medicine. If you can't get critical care, take a teaspoon of pellets, mix in a bowl with some water, add some sweet potato babyfood or punpkin until its slightly watery. You will want to syringe feed her this very few hours.

Ak47007

Cavy Gazer
How is she acting? Don't stop the medicine. If you can't get critical care, take a teaspoon of pellets, mix in a bowl with some water, add some sweet potato babyfood or punpkin until its slightly watery. You will want to syringe feed her this very few hours.

She eats her veggies every morning and hay , but not so much pellets or water. She acts perfectly normal. But I will skip her doses until I get that one medicine to give her an hour after antibiotics.. (Can't remember the name , someone mentioned it above )

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Skipping doses of antibiotics is not a good idea. If she's still eating, that's good. Keep giving the the antibiotics until you can get the probiotic.

Ak47007

Cavy Gazer
Skipping doses of antibiotics is not a good idea. If she's still eating, that's good. Keep giving the the antibiotics until you can get the probiotic.

Ok will do , thanks for all the help everyone !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.