Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick URIs in two piglets

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
The things that you've said and what you're planning to do sound wonderful to me. It really seems like the best way to handle the situation. Good luck and keep us posted on your babies.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Ok. So what you should try is washing everything with the free and clear detergent and then running an extra rinse cycle at the end with one cup of white vinegar. The vinegar will remove any soap residue from the fleece. That way if it is something from the detergent/fabric softner is should be washed right out. Now keep in mind, if it is your fabric softner or something then your clothes are likely affect them too. So I would suggest that you do that and see what happens.

Excellent! I will do that!! I do know that the last time I used a free and clear fabric softener but that was probably my mistake. I can't use (I think I said this before) perfume anymore or powder! Oh, powder is BAD! I never though of it because it's not at my neck, but that makes them both sneeze up a storm! Poor babies.

They have been sneezing some ever since I've had them (about 1 1/2 years for Daisy and 1 year for Patches). They never got sick before. But about 4-5 months ago I changed to the fleece with padding under it. Then about 3 weeks ago they go the URI. I do think originally they had URIs (or at least Daisy) did - they heard that in her chest/lungs. They said Patches had "the sniffles" and weren't really worried about her, but she has been on the same antibiotics as Dais.

Thank you so much for your input!!!

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
The things that you've said and what you're planning to do sound wonderful to me. It really seems like the best way to handle the situation. Good luck and keep us posted on your babies.

Thank you! This is the most caring, kind site I have been on and I really appreciate the help! You guys rock! I'll let you know how they are!

I do have a call into my vet (first thing this morning). I will see what he has to say as well.

Love,
Daisy Mae, Patches and Chelle

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
You're welcome. Now that you've said they've been sneezing as long as you've had them, I feel a lot better! I'm almost sure it's the detergent/fabric softner. Hair spray will also make my dogs sneeze.

I'm sure that you're right, they had the URI, or at least Daisy, and now they're just sneezing because they're sensitive to whatever they're smelling. Make sure that you're also washing the towels underneath in the same manner as the fleece. Along with any cuddle cups/snuggle sacks or whatever you've got. I would also take it one step further and do a complete cage clean/wipe down. Take out the pigloos and toys and spray them all down with a spray bottle filled with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water (if you can't spray it and wipe it down, I'd consider replacing it, or at least leaving it out for a few days while you do your "test run" to see if it's the fabric softner/soap). Then strip the cage and do the same for that, spray it all and wipe it down. This may be more than you need to do, but I would, to make sure there weren't any particles on anything that would continue to make them sneeze after I'd washed everything.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
You're welcome. Now that you've said they've been sneezing as long as you've had them, I feel a lot better! I'm almost sure it's the detergent/fabric softner. Hair spray will also make my dogs sneeze.

I'm sure that you're right, they had the URI, or at least Daisy, and now they're just sneezing because they're sensitive to whatever they're smelling. Make sure that you're also washing the towels underneath in the same manner as the fleece. Along with any cuddle cups/snuggle sacks or whatever you've got. I would also take it one step further and do a complete cage clean/wipe down. Take out the pigloos and toys and spray them all down with a spray bottle filled with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water (if you can't spray it and wipe it down, I'd consider replacing it, or at least leaving it out for a few days while you do your "test run" to see if it's the fabric softner/soap). Then strip the cage and do the same for that, spray it all and wipe it down. This may be more than you need to do, but I would, to make sure there weren't any particles on anything that would continue to make them sneeze after I'd washed everything.

Excellent advice! That is exactly what I will do as soon as I get home tonight!

Daisy has always sneezed, Patches only a tiny bit, but Dais - yeah. I watch her like a hawk. And it's not the tiny sneezes, it's the BIG ones that make me wet when she sneezes! The poor dear!

They truly are my babies, my "children". I come home from work and literally spend the entire evening with them. My poor husband is always saying he lost me to the piglets. So now we get them out together and let them play between us on the sofa while we like watch TV or football. they love that!

So, yeah, I would do anything to make sure they are fine! They are already spoiled rotten! ;0)

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Just to give everyone an update about our weekend. I cleaned EVERYTHING in and on the pen as described by the wonderfully helpful posts above. I rearranged the pen again (which they LOVE), I removed the liter that I was told may be harmful (even though it says it is for guinea pigs - very confusing to those of us who think you can believe what is on the bags!) and replaced it with shredded paper liter. I cleaned out the sack I use for hay - there was a lot of dust in the bottom - totally my mistake!

After they were done darting around their "new" pen, popcorning and telling me, very loudly, how much they like the new set up - I listened very closely for any sneezing issues or coughing. And... the only sniffling I heard was from Daisy after she was digging in her new hay! And that was just a tiny sniffle.

The next morning I came down - they both darted out wheeking at me. Daisy actually ran over to me and jumped up and down twice. As she has gotten older I have noticed it is a rare occasion that she actually popcornings (she wheeks and smiles, but popcorning - not so much) BUT she was doing it that morning for me! Smiling very happily!!

The rest of the weekend went much the same way. But I noticed she sniffled and sneezed a tiny bit while snuggling mommy. I have stopped wearing perfume, powder and using scented lotions (about 2 months ago) because it bothers them. However, I still use a scented soap, shampoo and conditioner and hairspray.

So I think everyone was correct. She did have a URI and I believe Patches was starting to get one (she's not sniffling or sneezing at all anymore). And cleaning out the pen with vinegar water and rewashing everything without fabric softener (oops...) really seems to have done the trick.

We are going away for a long weekend and my mom is piggy sitting. We aren't leaving until Friday, but as she doesn't have any of her own (but has sat for me many times over the last year and a half) I didn't want her to have to worry too much about sickness. I think you guys figured it out for me!

I will continue to watch them very closely (as I normally do) and any changes I will contact my vet. But i just wanted to thank each and every one of you for the help you gave me, the kind words, and for making Daisy and Patches happier again! The advice I received was priceless. Thank you.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Oh dear - my girls are sick again (still?). Patches is sneezing up a storm and Daisy Mae's breathing sounded funny again.

Now... I did take them to my mom and dad's to piglet sit while I was away. I don't THINK there was a draft on them, etc, but I wasn't there.

I called my vet and now have them back on another round of Baytril. HELP?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Has the vet suggested a culture to find out what bacteria might be causing this so that a more effective antibiotic might be used? When I got one of my pigs he came with a URI that took almost two months to get rid of. He was given different antibiotics but what really helped him was the last prescription of antibiotic and was prescribed with a nebulizer treatment with an antibiotic and a bronchodilator.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Has the vet suggested a culture to find out what bacteria might be causing this so that a more effective antibiotic might be used? When I got one of my pigs he came with a URI that took almost two months to get rid of. He was given different antibiotics but what really helped him was the last prescription of antibiotic and was prescribed with a nebulizer treatment with an antibiotic and a bronchodilator.

No and unfortunately this is the 4th round of antibiotics - I'm paying about $40-$50 per weeks worth (yowch - not that they aren't worth it but still.... give me at least 14 days worth LOL and ones that work)

However, this time the Baytril seems to have wiped Daisy's breathing issues out in two days and Patches is barely sneezing anymore. Both were back to their old selves running, jumping and playing again - they had gotten a bit down, I could tell they just weren't "right" but I live in the northeast and couldn't get them in at the beginning of the week because of the hurricane. Luckily I had enough antibiotics at home to give them each two days worth to hold them over.

I think if it doesn't cut it this time I'm going to make the vet see them instead of just guessing with more meds.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It's always best to seek vet attention. I do understand having a delay with the storm, not worth it to risk your life.

Have they only been given baytril?

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
It's always best to seek vet attention. I do understand having a delay with the storm, not worth it to risk your life.

Have they only been given baytril?

Thru have been to the vet multiple times and I have been on touch with them at least once a week for over a month. They have been on two different kinds of anti biotics over the last month or so

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Well I hope they keep improving. There is nothing more frustrating then dealing with a stubborn URI issue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.