Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Frequency of fleece cleaning

Louie1

Cavy Slave
Hi, piggy foster mom here. I have one adult boar in a 2x4 cage. It has puppy pads as a bottom layer and 2 layers of fleece on top. I have a 'kitchen' area with a smaller piece of fleece that's easy to shake off.

Today is just about 4 full days since I set it up and despite picking up poops and shaking out most hay daily I feel like it's ready for a full change. The smell isn't bad yet but the spots he is peeing in are getting kinda gross and overall it just looks messy.

Any tips to extend the lifespan of fleece? Maybe a lint brush ? It is just the one guy and he's prob between 2-3 pounds. I expected the fleece to last a little longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
It really depends on him how clean the cage lasts. If I were you, I'd try to get him to poop/pee in certain areas so it's less of a mess. You can do this by draping a piece of fleece over his eating area. Pigs will pee and poop where they eat and sleep and where it's dark. As for the smell, you try replacing the puppy pads with u-haul pads or wood pellets. They are known to be the best absorbent layers in terms of odor.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're also not helping things by putting two layers of fleece. Fleece works best with one layer, which wicks the liquid through to the absorbent layer underneath. Two layers just interferes with the wicking action.

Louie1

Cavy Slave
Thanks all. I changed the fleece, stuck to one layer and picked up incontinence pads. So it's just a layer of fleece and a layer of pads. I suppose 4 full days is reasonable for a full change of fleece with one guy! I spent a while lint brushing hair out of the fleece after the wash though.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Thanks all. I changed the fleece, stuck to one layer and picked up incontinence pads. So it's just a layer of fleece and a layer of pads. I suppose 4 full days is reasonable for a full change of fleece with one guy! I spent a while lint brushing hair out of the fleece after the wash though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hair as it's just going to get on it again but rubber gloves work really well( the kind you put on to do cleaning and the dishes with).

Booboo1414

Cavy Slave

just wondering how is it going?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.