Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Switching to fleece. Anyond near Middletown, Ohio? Sew savvy?

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of switching from CareFresh/Pine mix to fleece. I am jealous of everyone's on here to be honest. I'm sewing machine challenged so I was wondering if anyone near me would sew them together if I bought everything needed. I'd like to do double sided fleece with two layers of u-haul in between. I'm located about 10 minutes from Middletown, Ohio and I'd pay to have it done if need be.

dem1ba

Cavy Slave
Hi Beth - my last name is the same as yours but I married into it! Just wanted to pass on a caution on your idea from comments I've seen on this site. Fleece takes less time to wash and dry than Uhaul blankets and some people who have liners with fleece and Uhaul sewn together have regretted it due to the extra drying time required. I think it's best if the Uhaul layers are separate from the fleece but that's just my opinion. I use 3-4 layers of towels and then Uhaul blanket and then fleece on top. But fleece is definitely the way to go! And a separate litter box or kitchen area with Carefresh helps a lot!

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I married into it as well! I plan to get a separate litter box (or two) I'll keep that in mind, I've seen a lot of people using both which was why I was going to to do it that way. I don't want to use towels as I've seen a lot of people say they start smelling a lot faster. Our bedding now doesn't stink but it gets messy and all over the floor lol We have a 2x5 with 2x2 loft but I am expanding this weekend weekend to an L shape on top. Thank you for the advice. I'm still new at all this (one Month in) so I'm learning as I go. We've already dropped $400+ into two cages (store bought and current c&c) before we learned...still trying to sell the store bought to recoup money :/

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Yeah that stinks....but as far as fleece if you don't want to sew you can just clip it to the coroplast or you can just clip it to a flat piece of coro but I'm guessing more coro isn't in the budget :D

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you decide not to sew a liner, I'm also sewing machine challenged and I just do like most others have said. Here's a picture of my cage, 4 layers of towels underneath and the fleece is clipped to the coro base with binder clips.

I wash my towels and fleece with bleach and vinegar and have been since I joined in October and my towels don't stink until it's time to wash

Most members don't have to use as many clips, but I could NOT for the life of me get my girls to stop burrowing.

So 48 binder clips later..

Attachments

972180_624408334253898_751596230_n.jpg
Last edited:

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
We have lots of left over coro from buying the cage. But from what I've heard it's inexpensive so if I can find it local, I'd get a bigger piece. I'd like to have it sewn so they don't burrow under it or something. But I'll keep that in mind. What would I clip it with, zip ties?

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
And they don't chew the clips? How often do you wash the towels, 3-5 days or what?

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Oh awesome! I'll definitely keep that in mind. What could I use if I didn't want to use towels? More fleece or puppy pads, etc? Thanks so much for all the help and advice ladies :)

Puppy pads would be more expensive than disposable bedding, and you'd have to change the whole cage a lot more often. Several users use UHAUL pads instead of towels.

The fleece actually wicks any liquid, that's why it's used on top. The under layers need to be absorbent to pick up the urine, so you couldn't use it underneath.

I understand it's confusing at first lol but no problem that's why we're here :) Good luck!

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Puppy pads would be more expensive than disposable bedding, and you'd have to change the whole cage a lot more often. Several users use UHAUL pads instead of towels.

The fleece actually wicks any liquid, that's why it's used on top. The under layers need to be absorbent to pick up the urine, so you couldn't use it underneath.

I understand it's confusing at first lol but no problem that's why we're here :) Good luck!

Very confusing. Someone above said not to use u-haul with fleece as it's a pain to get dry. That was my initial plan was fleece and two layers of u-haul pads. I've seen a lot of people do double sided, how does that work?

aeiou

Cavy Slave
You sandwich some absorbent material between two layers of fleece and sew it all together.

The reason people say that about UHAUL pads is because they take longer to dry than fleece. But you can just dry it in the dryer then hang it outside to finish drying. Helps with smells too.
An alternative to UHAUL pads and towels is Zorb II. I'll try to find a link to it later.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Lol no above they were saying it's a pain when you SEW the uhaul pads to the fleece for it to dry.

I was just talking about loose fleece/uhaul :)

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Yeah that's what I was trying to say anyway :confused: Lol... and that's what I use, but I want to get my mom to help me sew some liners so I can just grab, unfold, and go! watching @skinnypigs video on another thread converted me :D

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.