Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables package baby carrots :(

southernfury

Cavy Slave
Ok i know i will prob. get some people that disagree with me...but i'm fine with that.

But i refuse to feed my piggies package baby carrots, the reason why is because they are "washed in bleach".
Ok have you ever noticed that after awhile the baby carrots get a white texture color to them and they will also start to get a little slimy. Well that is because the chemicals they use to keep them bright in color and to try to keep them looking fresh while in package. And i don't see how that is healthy for human, let alone our piggies. :(

Now i'm NOT saying that all carrot companies do this, but 90% of the baby carrots i have bought turned white & slimy. I did a test with my girls, before i found out why my baby carrots where turning nasty. I got a few baby carrots and a few fresh whole carrots, i peeled the whole carrots and placed the carrots in my piggies cage...and to my surprised my girls took off with the whole fresh carrots and eat every bit of them. They pretty much turned up their noses to the baby ones...so that right there told me something is up with the baby carrots. So i started doing my research on how they process baby carrots...and it took me awhile, cause companies do not want people knowing how they do their products.

I know many people will say that their piggies LOVE the baby carrots...but have they ever had fresh whole carrots?? Honestly just take a hard look at baby carrots. I can't see the chemicals they use to preserve freshness being healthy for our piggies.

Now if you grow your own baby carrots...kuddo to you.!!! Atleast u know what goes onto your veggies. During the summer i grow my own, but when i can't i will buy whole fresh carrots. And to back up my research i have had other people do the same research and to see if they have found out the same info on baby carrots as i did. Well lets just say, these people don't eat baby carrots anymore.

I don't mean to make anyone mad about my post...i'm just tryin to help get some info out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

aubrey

Cavy Slave
Wow! I'm never buying packaged carrots again for my girls! Thanks for that info!

millsma

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This doesn't anger me at all! I WELCOME information that might help to make my pigs healthier and happier! :) Good idea on growing your own, I might try that this summer too!
So do you buy the larger carrots that are with the other un-packaged produce, and then peel them, and cut them up small enough to serve?

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
The whole carrots that I buy turn slimy after a while. I didn't think that would have been because of chemicals.

cavy_love43

Cavy Slave
I just bought carrot seeds to start this week so I can have fresh ones for my boys sooner :) thanks for the info.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I have heard of baby carrots being bleached before, I think I heard it on a cooking show once.
I think it's great you are putting this information on here, I don't understand how it would make people mad though.

Jenae

Cavy Slave
I don't recall the specifics, but I remember reading an article about a girl doing a science project regarding potatoes, maybe it was sweet potatoes, and she has bought one at her local grocery store and then another at her local Farmers market (maybe it was her local Whole Foods store) and kept them for a few weeks. The one she bought at her grocery store stayed "fresh/edible" for weeks because of all of the chemicals & preservatives it was treated with,whereas the locally grown/no chemical actually started growing into a new plant.

And to think most people eat these chemicals daily.....makes you think about what you are putting into your body.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I will also be growing carrots for my girls. The baby carrots my mom buys are organic so I am in teh clear with that brand. I looked into it.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Eww! Thanks for the heads-up.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
it's not surprising. everything has preservatives and stuff these days and its actually causing early puberty in children. Not to mention other things going on in our bodies

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
This makes a lot of sense. I noticed the sliminess and Nefer knew why. My girls won't eat baby carrots after a few days anyway, and now I understand why. Great info.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I never feed baby carrots mostly because they are more expensive and also because they don't keep well. I just buy whole carrots and chop off what I want to feed my girls, I don't bother peeling them. The whole carrots also stay freshers much longer if kept properly. I've had some last over a month.

I also grow my own carrots and my girls seem to enjoy them more than store bought. Honestly they like anything from the garden more than the store. Lots of yummy leafy greens and herbs fresh from the garden= happy piggies. Having a garden comes in handy when you run out of almost every store veggie and can't get to the store.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
The brand I buy is organic and they never go to waste because I like to roast them in the oven with Extra Virgin olive oil and sea salt for my family. I do plan on growing some this year in my garden though.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
This doesn't anger me at all! I WELCOME information that might help to make my pigs healthier and happier! :) Good idea on growing your own, I might try that this summer too!
So do you buy the larger carrots that are with the other un-packaged produce, and then peel them, and cut them up small enough to serve?

Well sorry about that people my get upset about my post. Because i watched a youtube video of a person giving her piggies a half a bag of baby carrots per feeding, which i told her that was way to much for a piggy to have. They should only get one to poss. 2 baby carrots a day..thats it. Then i informed her on how the carrots are processed with bleach. Well let's just say she gave me a lashing for judging her on how she was feeding her girls. I was just trying to inform her. I just didn't want to get that from the forum, cause i just wanted to let people know, that didn't have no clue about baby carrots.

The carrots are bagged up but they are whole fresh carrots that have to be peeled if u want too. Sometime i give my girls the whole carrots skin and all, but i wash them off very well. Then i will chop up the carrots into little sticks for feeding. If i can find the whole fresh carrots that are not packaged and have the green leafs on top, i will get them first, but i have to get them mostly from farmers markets. cause our local stores won't carry them until the summer.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
The whole carrots that I buy turn slimy after a while. I didn't think that would have been because of chemicals.

I have noticed that sometimes with mine, but very rarely. Most of the time they will wilt after being peeled and cut.

megziepoo

Cavy Slave
I know I had read that a while back about the whiteness of carrots being from bleach. It made me not even want to eat them anymore! So when I got my pig I make sure I only buy whole carrorts

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I have heard of baby carrots being bleached before, I think I heard it on a cooking show once.
I think it's great you are putting this information on here, I don't understand how it would make people mad though.

It was just from a recent comment i got from a youtube person that i was trying to inform her about baby carrots. Plus i see a lot of people using baby carrots for the piggies and a lot of people don't like being told how they should or shouldn't feed their piggies. I'm not saying everyone on this forum will be that way. I guess i was kinda putting up my defense just in case. Sorry hun..!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
It's fine, alot of people feed the wrong things to their pigs, but they deny it because they think it makes them a bad piggy parent.
I have never fed baby carrots, they are just so over-priced. Thanks for informing everyone though.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I never feed baby carrots mostly because they are more expensive and also because they don't keep well. I just buy whole carrots and chop off what I want to feed my girls, I don't bother peeling them. The whole carrots also stay freshers much longer if kept properly. I've had some last over a month.

I also grow my own carrots and my girls seem to enjoy them more than store bought. Honestly they like anything from the garden more than the store. Lots of yummy leafy greens and herbs fresh from the garden= happy piggies. Having a garden comes in handy when you run out of almost every store veggie and can't get to the store.

I love growing a garden for my girls and myself. They girls love the super fresh taste of veggies coming right out of a garden. I plan to grow a garden this year just for my girls, it will mainly consist over everything that i know they love, plus things i want them to try that we can't find around here. My girls LOVE dill, it is one of their favorite herbs. So this year my girls will have their own person garden. My hubby thinks i'm nuts..but hey it will save a whole lot on our veggie bill. which is gettin on up there in price.
Plus i just love knowing what is on my veggies and knowing what my girls are truly eating.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
It's fine, alot of people feed the wrong things to their pigs, but they deny it because they think it makes them a bad piggy parent.
I have never fed baby carrots, they are just so over-priced. Thanks for informing everyone though.

There are a lot of bad piggy parents out there because they refuse to take advise from someone that is just truly trying to help.
Agree baby carrots are way over priced and your getting chemicals that can't be healthy to eat. Honestly any carrots that have been cut...example ( baby, stick, sliced and any carrot that doesn't have their natural coating) Have been bleached. Natural is the way to go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.