Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Need help

7 Awesome Pigs

Cavy Slave
American
The tan one looks like a cuy

7 Awesome Pigs

Cavy Slave
Now that I noticed he looks like a normal guinea pig

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
She* lol yeah she might just be pregnant but I really hope not because she is only 6 months. But she certainly eats and drinks like. I have to start feeding them seperatley now [MENTION=33618]7 Awesome Pigs[/MENTION]

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Why do you need to feed them separately? Do you mean you have to give them separate veggie feedings?

Even if she isn't pregnant, a more than enthusiastic appetite is the norm. You should worry if she doesn't go mad for food. There's no such thing as a pig eating too much, they're grazing animals and as such need food constantly moving through them.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
She is becoming aggressive over the food and is not letting her sister eat. I'm 99.9% sure she is pregnant because when she stretches out there is lumps like little baby's and she is becoming more slow and I do not feed them to much [MENTION=29900]Princess_Piggie[/MENTION]

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@joys_cavies, I meant what foods are you restricting her, because she needs unlimited long strand grass hay 24/7.

I also said that you can't feed them too much. They're grazers, they naturally eat a lot, eating a lot is healthy for them.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I know that and I don't restrict any food except that the ones they can't have. I read somewhere I forget where though that pregnant guinea pigs can become territorial over some foods like veggies. So when its veggie time I feed her sister separate because she wasn't getting her veggies. I give them both first cut timothy hay because i cant find grass hay in California which i have been trying to do since ive discovered that im allergic to Timothy hay [MENTION=7292]Princess[/MENTION]

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Timothy hay is grass hay, but orchard grass or bluegrass are generally the best for those of us with allergies (including me!). You might not be able to find any locally grown, but you can look in to ordering online, from sites like drsfosterandsmith or KMS hayloft :)

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks [MENTION=29900]Princess_Piggie[/MENTION]

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Update: the black and white one (Bailey) is actually an american/silkie mix. How do I trim her hair? And is there any special needs for silkies?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.