Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Sheldon's Eyes - ulcerated cornea

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey guys! I haven't been on in quite some time, hope everyone is well!

So, for the first time in quite a while Sheldon's eye is acting up again. This time it started while I was away on vacation and he was in the care of my family. They took awesome care of him, but I hated not being there while it was starting.

Initially the conjunctiva was quite swollen, very red, and on the verge of bleeding. It seemed to have happened over night. He was put on 8 days of Baytril and twice daily drops of BNP. He finished treatment on Wednesday and although did make a bit of difference it didn't fully cure it.

We then noticed that his cornea was starting to get the slightest bit cloudy. So we were off to the vet this morning where she did a stain of his eye. We all agreed that it was slightly florescent so he was then diagnosed with an ulcerated cornea. She sent us home with Metacam for 2 days, as well as Ciloxan every 3 hours for 2 days to start.
We were told to stop if his eye gets more red, which it has now so I'm not sure whether to continue or not. Of course the vet is closed until Monday now.

I'm not sure what to do. The sclera itself is slightly pink with a red ring around his iris. However, the conjunctiva is also red and swollen. I have no experience with this but should the conjunctiva be red and swollen if it's a corneal ulcer? Mind you, his conjunctiva in both eyes are normally slightly prolapsed. That's just his normal.

I am hoping for any advice and/or feedback on his treatment. My heart breaks every time I look at his eye. I'm attaching photos.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20140510_172428.jpg

IMG_20140510_172458.jpg

Here's a link to his GL thread, which documents all of his eye issues:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/...&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ciloxan is ciprofloxacin, which is pretty standard eye ointment for GPs and other small critters. The BNP is a triple antibiotic, and apparently it didn't do the job, so the vet called in the big guns. The swelling could be from the original infection rather than the corneal abrasion.

How much redder is his eye than before you started the Ciloxan? Just a little, or a lot? Do you see any other changes that might indicate a problem, such as swelling? Is he rubbing/scratching it?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
It's a bit more red, not a lot. I don't think it's more swollen. I think because it's a bit more red that it looks worse than it actually is. He hasn't been rubbing/scratching, but it must have been sore before the Metacam. He would make very unhappy sounds when I would wipe it. The Metacam has helped I think.

Someone on GL mentioned chlamydia. I've seen pictures of chlamydial eye infections before on GL and thought they were similar to Sheldon, but I just don't know.

Thanks!

ETA: When his eyes aren't inflamed/infected they look just like this pig's: https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=192

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Either of the antibiotics should have taken care of chlamydia.

If the redness hasn't changed much, I'd go ahead and treat him and check him in the morning.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks bp. I wasn't sure about that.

I went ahead and did another dose after I initially started this thread. I'm going to do another one before bed. I just hope it helps and that it finally starts to clear up!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Never mind, I spoke too soon.

Just went in there to check on him and it's very red and angry looking. Cornea is pretty cloudy too, more so than this morning.
Not really sure what to do now as I can't consult with the vet until Monday.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, I'm just curious, could it be a fungal infection, since the antibiotics seem to be making it worse? @ellisa I hope your piggie's eye gets better soon!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've never heard of a pig with a fungus infection in its eye. I guess it's possible.
@ellisa, how is he this morning?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
It's still pretty sad and angry today. He's pretty mopey right now, too.
I find it bizarre that it hasn't really been responding to any of the eye drops. I maybe need to give it more time.

Here are some pics.

Pre eye wipe and drops:
DSC_0915.jpg

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Poor piggie, I hope you can get a hold of the vet first thing tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.