Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Should I get a bigger cage

sarah515

Cavy Slave
I am in the process of making a c and c cage but I just wanted some opinions because my mom thinks her cage now will house her and her babies (she is pregnant) but I do not want the babies to be in that cage because there is not enough room but what do you think?

Attachments

image.jpg

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Definitely build a C&C, as big as you can!

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
That cage is too small for the mama alone I would think. Do you know how many babies she is having? Are you planning on keeping them? What are you going to do with the males??

sarah515

Cavy Slave
That cage is too small for the mama alone I would think. Do you know how many babies she is having? Are you planning on keeping them? What are you going to do with the males??

That's what I think. It's way to small for her and she is having at least one maybe two babies. And when I get done with the c and c cage I am going to divide it a couple weeks after they are born so females will be on one side and males on the other

and yes I plan on keeping the babies

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That cage is far too small even for one pig alone, by the looks of it. That actually looks like a hamster cage for me. You'll need a 2x5/2x6 C&C if you plan on dividing it in the event of both male and female pups.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You'll need at least 2x6 cage if you will divide it. 2x3 is minimum for one pig.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yes, you'll definitely need a bigger cage. You'll at least need a second cage to seperate the male pups at 3-4 weeks. Otherwise, they can get any and all of the females (including the mother) pregnant!

Make sure your ready for the pups, if you plan on keeping them. You'll need LOTS of cage space. If your mom allows the extra vet bills, food costs, cage cleaning, and cage space, then go ahead and keep them. If you think your parents won't allow all this extra cost, then you will need to get rid of most to all of them.

JUST for the girl you have now, you'll need a minimum of a 2x3, preferred 2x4 cage. But, since she's having babies, you'll need more space.

For her and her babies, you'll need a 2x4 or a 2x5. By the time 3 to 4 weeks rolls around, you'll need another 2x4 or 2x5.

As for right now, I would house her in a 2x5, or at least a 2x4 to house her babies and herself for the first few weeks. Then, begin making the second cage as soon as the babies are born (because you won't have long until it's time to separate!).

When the babies are born refer to this site for correct cage sizes. (broken link removed)
Also, refer here.
https://www.guineapigcages.com

Be prepared to provide a total of 2x6 or 2x7, divided of course for male and female.

Also, be prepared to neuter the boy if he's the only one, get him a friend, or give him away. Pigs do better when paired with another pig.

You'll also need to know about cage proofing for baby pigs, pregnancy, diet for baby pigs, ect.

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Yes, you'll definitely need a bigger cage. You'll at least need a second cage to seperate the male pups at 3-4 weeks. Otherwise, they can get any and all of the females (including the mother) pregnant!

3 weeks, not 4.

[MENTION=30230]sarah515[/MENTION] You can leave them in the current cage for now since the babies will be very small. Once you figure out all the sex of the babies, you can plan to build appropriate cage for the two groups, depends on how many you have per gender.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.