Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage questions

dakotasmommy08

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, as i'm interested in getting a pair of guinea pigs next month and wanted to do the proper research before I do. I definitely am seeing an advantage of putting together my own cage and I was wondering if these panels will be good enough to use.

https://www.storesupply.com/pc-12194-518-14-x-14-white-mini-grid-panel-30101.aspx

Also was wondering about how much coroplast runs?

I've never owned piggies, but i'm super excited and want to give them the best home possible!

-Meghann

DaisyLily

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi, welcome to the forum! It's great that you are researching before you get the pigs, I wish I had done that.
The grid panels look to be correct as far as I can tell, basically what you look for is that the panels have 9by9 squares, which those do.

As far as coro it generally runs from $10-$30 for a sheet. I paid $25 for a 4'by8' sheet this past Monday.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Those are the correct grids although if you are looking at buying a couple packs, usually Sears has the best prices I've found. Stor Floor Standing 6-Cube Storage Unit - Tools - Garage Organization & Shelving - Storage Hooks

Shipping and handling is what will get expensive on these since they are heavy, and they do a site to store option or free shipping over $59. The same offer or roughly close to it ,is offered at K-Mart.

Coro varies depending where you get it. If you can get some old political signs, it's free! But usually it's like @DaisyLily said, same thing, shipping is usually what is expensive especially for larger pieces. The cage store here will sell already pre-cut and scored coroplast for a very reasonable amount and they have a wide variety of colors. If you are looking to do it yourself, I find Home Depot has the best prices usually: (broken link removed)

Hopefully that displays right but it's written under Twinwall Plastic Sheet. Coroplast is a brand name so many places don't know what it is, but it can go under many different descriptions like corrugated plastic, plastic flute sheeting, etc. Just have to play around till they figure out you're not crazy and you know what you're talking about! :)

Are you looking to rescue your new pigs?

dakotasmommy08

Cavy Slave
Those are the correct grids although if you are looking at buying a couple packs, usually Sears has the best prices I've found. Stor Floor Standing 6-Cube Storage Unit - Tools - Garage Organization & Shelving - Storage Hooks

Shipping and handling is what will get expensive on these since they are heavy, and they do a site to store option or free shipping over $59. The same offer or roughly close to it ,is offered at K-Mart.

Coro varies depending where you get it. If you can get some old political signs, it's free! But usually it's like @DaisyLily said, same thing, shipping is usually what is expensive especially for larger pieces. The cage store here will sell already pre-cut and scored coroplast for a very reasonable amount and they have a wide variety of colors. If you are looking to do it yourself, I find Home Depot has the best prices usually: (broken link removed)

Hopefully that displays right but it's written under Twinwall Plastic Sheet. Coroplast is a brand name so many places don't know what it is, but it can go under many different descriptions like corrugated plastic, plastic flute sheeting, etc. Just have to play around till they figure out you're not crazy and you know what you're talking about! :)

Are you looking to rescue your new pigs?

Thanks so much for the info! I'm trying to get all the pricing figured out, I want them to have a nice sized home. My four year old daughter can't wait, it was between hamsters and the piggies. Piggies won, i'm not a fan of hamsters. They're not as friendly. lol. I called around to the few animal shelters in my area and none have any pigs for adoption! I was trying to avoid Petco or Petsmart if I could help it. I'm not going to be getting them until next month, so i'm going to keep looking elsewhere.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
If you need any help just let us know what area you are in and we might know of some places that aren't listed as easily to find. Many fosters and some rescues don't have websites up so they can be a bit difficult to find. Kijji (spelling?) and Craigslist along with Petfinder.com are also a good way to find some piggies in need. Petfinder can also link you to some rescues along with looking on (broken link removed)

FluffyGuinea

Cavy Slave
I'm posting this for you since it was a bit confusing finding all of these when I was looking for it.

Cubes ($20-$30):
Do not get any cubes by safeco, there's a sticky here that says they are the wrong size now. With the 23 cubes in these sets you can build anything up to a 2x5 with a narrow loft. You can also buy larger 32 cube sets.

KMART: Stor Floor Standing 6-Cube Storage Unit - Tools - Garage Organization & Shelving - Storage Hooks
WALMART: Whitmor Black Wire Storage Cubes - Walmart.com
AMAZON: (broken link removed)

Coroplast:
sign store: $20-$30 per 4' by 8' sheet
plastics manufacturer: $10-$15

(look on google maps)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

The sign store gets their raw materials from a plastics manufacturer, so if you get the coroplast from them they will charge you extra for transport costs. They will refer to it as corrugated plastic. If you go directly to a plastics manufacturer, the material that coroplast is made of is called polypropylene. You can call around to see who has it. With one 4' by 8' sheet you can make a 2x4 + narrow loft, or a 2x5 with no loft.

Good luck ❤️

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I'll also add in here, since you are looking into getting your cage ready, that the square footage required does NOT include any lofts or secondary floors. It is for the main level of your cage which will be used mostly by your pigs. This area you will want to keep as large and open as you can for room to run for your new little furballs, so many people add a loft so that they can keep their "kitchen" area out of that square footage of the main level. If you have the choice however, it's usually wiser to expand out instead of up first.

dakotasmommy08

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone!! Between last night and this morning, I found coro for 20 bucks and three piggies at a shelter about 30 mins away!! So happy that everything is coming together. Thanks again, this thread has been super helpful.

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
The best reviews say get Coroplast in the link : com/Coroplast-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheets-Pads/dp/B0066TADTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360674551&sr=8-1&keywords=coroplast

I dont know if it is the right Corplast I'm Always looking for cheapest Coroplast, If I find any cheaper or the right kind (if this is'nt im not sure though) I will let you know. Hope this helps and Good Luck with Finding and Putting Up all the supplies.

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
Alright my Laptop is confusing up the websites here is the right one : (broken link removed)

FluffyGuinea

Cavy Slave
Alright my Laptop is confusing up the websites here is the right one : (broken link removed)

I think that is a bit small unless you plan to piece them together somehow, which seems like it would be a pain. I think you need at least the 48" x 48" sheets. BTW if you decide you want the largest sheets, the 4'x8' sheets, you can't practically order it online except in bulk because I think the size goes over some shipping limit.

Also: The link says you did a search for coroplast. Try searching for "corrugated plastic" instead since that's the proper name.

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
I think that is a bit small unless you plan to piece them together somehow, which seems like it would be a pain. I think you need at least the 48" x 48" sheets. BTW if you decide you want the largest sheets, the 4'x8' sheets, you can't practically order it online except in bulk because I think the size goes over some shipping limit.

Also: The link says you did a search for coroplast. Try searching for "corrugated plastic" instead since that's the proper name.

I didn't get it . That's just what other reviews said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.