Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other best foods and litters?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I recently rescued a 10-12 week old kitten. When I got her she was barely 2 lbs. She is 3 lbs 9 oz today. Ive had her nine days now. Currently she is being fed Iams kitten and 4Health canned food. She likes Taste of the Wild canned food better but im out. Im looking for advice on what food to feed her. She was so skinny when I got her I was afraid id break her. She still has low muscle tone. She has been wormed and vaccinated.

Im also trying to find a good litter tha isnt expensive. Im allergic to cats so need something that will be easoly cleaned up.

Finally I have a puppy who was born Memorial Day. She is a daschund mix with pit. She is currently on Taste of the Wild High Prairie puppy. Just wondering what other good grain free choices are out there?

I am low income so would prefer the cheapest possible foods and litter but will buy the best I can afford. Please help! !

20140812_142409.jpg

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles can probably help with the dog side of things.

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
Taste of the Wild is always a good choice for cats and dogs. Blue Buffalo is also good.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can use wood pellets for cat litter. You can get a 40lbs bag for $6 at hardware stores.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Taste of the Wild is always a good choice for cats and dogs. Blue Buffalo is also good.

Blue Buffalo actually, is one of my least favorite and I'd never suggest it. It's mainstream and they use so many useless ingredients.

For my cat (before I put him on Prey Model Raw) was eating Evo canned food, they are 95% meat and my cat loved it. My cat who is not quite my cat I have her on Canidae, her real owner is on a low budget as well and it's not a bad food. Cats really need a diet high in moisture to prevent kidney problems, so canned and raw are best. With canned I always look for mostly meat. For dry food you want something that for example if it's chicken flavored says "chicken meal" not "whole deboned chicken" because with dry food they extract the moisture and whole chicken is the weight with moisture (basically they lie to you about how much meat is in the product, for both dog and cat).

My favorite brands of food for cat/dog are Evo, Natures Variety and Now!/Go! (For the dog), Taste of the wild is up there too. My favorite food is Prey Model Raw though! My pets in my home are on it and it's wonderful watching a cat crunch bones. And PMR is grain free! You can order food online cheaper than in stores. I do PetFlow and PetFoodDirect.

As far as litter I have no suggestions except play around
And figure out what works best for you. I use just cheap litter. My other cat has "petco" brand litter. And the cats I babysit are on Tidy Cats. I'd get one for multiple cats just because they control odor better.

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
@PrincessAngel Really? I thought it was pretty good. My dog liked it when I was trying foods out and it had a good rating but I'm always open to other people's experiences. I ended up choosing Taste of the Wild because of the rating and flavor options. Thank you for letting me know ^_^

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
My favorite food "brands" are Wellness and Halo. My favorite ingredient is salmon. I'm not sure about Halo, but Wellness doesn't use ethoxyquin which is one of the reasons I recommend it. Salmon is the most easy to digest protein (especially for dogs). You'll notice most limited ingredient or sensitive stomach lines include at least one salmon food.

I've never used Taste of the Wild, but I've heard good things about it.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
@PrincessAngel Really? I thought it was pretty good. My dog liked it when I was trying foods out and it had a good rating but I'm always open to other people's experiences. I ended up choosing Taste of the Wild because of the rating and flavor options. Thank you for letting me know ^_^

Blue Buffalo is full of fruits and veggies and they also have formulas with grain, as well as they false advertise with "deboned whole chicken" as the first ingredient. Personally they use too much rice in their formula as well. If a company has a grain based diet as well as grain free it kinda worries me about what they stand for, because grains are cheap fillers and if your products are high quality you'd think they'd do away with them all together.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Ok so we know how you feel about Blue Buffalo but thats irrelevant o my question really. :-(

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Ok so we know how you feel about Blue Buffalo but thats irrelevant o my question really.

I have a strong opinion about foods and diets, I put a lot of time into studying proper nutrition for all my animals. I gave you list of foods I recommend and some tips on how to choose a good food before that post.that I thought would be helpful to know, not just for you but others as well.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I have a strong opinion about foods and diets, I put a lot of time into studying proper nutrition for all my animals. I gave you list of foods I recommend and some tips on how to choose a good food before that post.that I thought would be helpful to know, not just for you but others as well.

I missed your previous post sorry. Raw is not an option financially. I was looking at Evo but it is expensive. Wellness Core and Taste of the Wild were the other I believe. I want something with high protein as she is active and needs to build her muscle tone. I was also looking at the grain free 4Health since she is currently on 4Health canned foods.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
@aspecht Canidae is a good option as well. They have many flavors and do canned and kibble. If you buy Evo onsale/ have a coupon for freeshipping online it's really not too expensive. With high quality foods they have higher calories so you end up feeding less. Actually Raw.food costs me less than any high quality food. I'm not buying premade raw, rather I use the Prey Model Raw model, of raw meat, bones and organs. I spend probably half as much on raw as I did on canned and kibble, you just gotta shop deals. It's really easy with small dogs and cats.

I've never heard of 4Health before, but then again I don't have a Track Supply store on my area. It doesn't seem too bad. I only saw one cat formula, it uses peas and puts protein to boost the percent of protein in the product though. Plant protein isn't as accessible for a cat, I think it be a great food with no peas in it! But it's still seems to be a good choice if it's in your price range. It is very similar to the Canidae I feed my not so cat, it's similarly priced as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.