Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Crumbs' medical thread

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds suspiciously like a little bit more good news to me ;)

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
It felt like it. Once and I thought maybe it was a fluke, but she kept doing it. I can tell she's in pain though. Hour and a half and I can give her a dose. She seems to start flagging about eight hours after a dose.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That seems about normal for any pain medication. Stupid label says 6-8 hours, but it's only good for 5.

I'm continually liking what I'm hearing about her progress, though. It's slow, but it's positive.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
She's the strongest pig we've ever had. Considering that I have always thought her to be delicate, she's put up more fight than anyone else ever has.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've put up a hell of a fight for her, too.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I know for her food is the best medicine. I just feel so glad I've had plenty of practice syringe feeding.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Tomorrow is going to be another new day, and I believe it will be a day of more steps for Crumbs, and for you too @wigglemish . Watching her get back to her being her old self will be YOUR best medicine.

Also, I'm tremendously happy to see the thread name changed, as she is most definitely NOT on her way out.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Okay, Crumbs is on the move. Got up for her midnight feed, she was in her pigloo when I left the room. I was gone maybe two minutes setting up the feeding station and when I came back she was laying on the opposite side of the cage.

I know this is good, but I now have a whole new host of fears. What if she hurts herself, or can't breathe properly if she flops down somewhere? What if the little ones (ironically both weigh almost double what she does) trample her while popcorning? Frigga has already over excitedly stood on her head while visiting her earlier in the day. If she comes out again should I leave her or put her back to bed? Is it safe for me to sleep? Should I make coffee and sit this out?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think Crumbs has proven to you over the last two days that she's a lot tougher than you think. And now she's walking. I know that ultimately you're going to do what you feel you need to do, which is probably make coffee and wait it out. But I truly think the worst is past and she's becoming herself again.

She'll likely just lie in her pigloo if she doesn't feel up to anything, I suspect.

I would just like to add that I'm ECSTATIC that she's moving again and feeling better and better and better.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
At the moment she's tucked safely back into bed but she's had her Metacam so if she feels like she wants to move again I feel that it's only going to be more likely as that kicks in.

I couldn't believe it, I walked back in and there she was, laying in the corner. She must have travelled a good ten inches, and yet she was lying down as though she hadn't budged. I'm so p***ed I missed it. I know I should be happy, but I am freaked XD

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Jesus, girl, if that freaked you out, what are you going to do tomorrow when she's full on walking around?!?!?!

The metacam should only be for her teeth, she's not in any other pain is she? No arthritis or any other underlying issue? Because if not, then she's just walking around because she feels like it BEFORE having any metacam, not because it doesn't hurt any more.
Be happy. This is forward progress.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Haha XD you may have noticed I am a teeeeensy bit anxious. XD omg, actually just laughed for the first time in days.

Metacam was just for her teeth, just wondered if she might feel more like moving when she's in less discomfort. But you're right, her moving before she had it is so good.

I think I will be sensible and try to sleep for an hour. The babies are abed so logically they're unlikely to do her any harm if she decides to go for a wander, and I am no good to her too tired to function.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No way! You? Anxious? Never noticed.

You'll be much better for her if you've had some rest yourself. Then again, if you're dead tired maybe you might not fret so much :)

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
GPP, your sarcasm is showing. XD

I'm going to nap, fingers crossed there will be more good news later. Thank you for all your help with my crazy lol

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hahaha, honestly, I'm as happy for you as I am for little Crumbs. I know what it's like, I've been there.

Looking like my boy Sly will be needing the same thing as Crumbs in a few more weeks.

Get some sleep, you probably need it.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Okay, input/experience needed please.

Crumbs has moved twice more. At 3am I woke to find her in the same spot as before. Then about an hour ago I caught her at it. She was dragging herself along on her belly, made it about halfway around the cage then collapsed, her legs all dragged along behind her. I fished her out and cuddled her close, her breathing was hard but I mean obviously this was tough for her.

Is this normal? It was terrifying to watch, all I kept thinking was 'omg has she had a stroke?!' We're now 70 hours out from the anesthetic

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly's never been as bad as Crumbs, but it's taken him a day or two to shake the anesthetic, and when he walked he stumbled and dragged his legs.

Perhaps it may be time to bring her back to vet for an assessment. It IS encouraging that at least now she's trying to be mobile on her own, but I've not experienced what you are now.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
She's booked for 2.20 this afternoon. I am terrified they're going to suggest euthanasia because she is recovering so slow... I'm all on my own and I'm so scared.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's likely having a rough go of it because she is so so tiny. Have some faith in Crumbs, she's come a long way so far and the odds were stacked against her to start with. I still feel she's going to be fine because I've heard nothing but forward progress. Slow progress, yes. But still progress.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
do you think a steroid injection could help her?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.