Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Bugs!? Red poop?! Trouble!!

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:Okay, before you judge me on my skills as a guinea pig owner, I'd like to say that I've regretted what I have ignored and done. I know I deserve the lecture I will get, but I'd just like to assure you that I know what I've done and deeply DEEPLY regret it. So here is my story:

Today I cleaned their cage, unknowing that what I would find would be horrible. So, after taking them outside of their cage and beginning my task, I notice something. Whenever I swipe at the cage, a group of baby ant-like insects would appear and run over the cage. I was horrified. And then I noticed something even scarier: one poop. Covered in a bit of blood. At this point, I was terrified. I know the blood could not be Honey (my seperated boy)'s, because obviously, he was seperate. What concerned me was that one of these lives were at risk, and it would be my beautiful Vanilla's or one of my friend's two. The idea of any of them dying makes my heart shatter.

I have removed them from their cage temporarily, but I don't know where to house them. We have run out of cardboard boxes to use, but I have found some space in my room. I don't know where to put them for tonight. The little one is also resting in my room, on my desk, in a shoebox. I do not plan to keep him inside for more than one night. I have no choice.

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
I know that you guys have lectured me on how guinea pigs are not safe living the outdoors, and for ignoring that I am really sorry.

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
I've put them in a box I found and so far, no bloody poops. :/

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Sorry I don't think I followed what you said - so your piggies live outside in a hutch? An the hutch it 3 pigs in is the problem? Is that what you meant? Also how long are you going between cleans!? For there to be a build up of insects in there? Xx

Your little one might manage to chew out if a box during the night - my woody can chew out of a thick cardboard box in 10 mins flat once he starts!! Lol xx

Could you maybe house them in the bath for the night - line it with towels an fleece?! That's where mine go while I clean them xx

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
@Rach84
In reply to your question, no the pigs are not the problem. Their cage is. It has been infiltrated by insects. :(
And I strictly clean their cage with 4-7 days after their last clean.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Sounds like you have maggots from lack of cleaning. Clean your cage, wipe it down with 10% bleach/90%water, rinse incredible well with water and allow to dry before putting the pigs back in.

Move the poor animals inside where you will smell their stench and clean their cage before it gets that bad again!

Maggots can kill small animals, especially if the animals are dirty as it sounds like yours are. It's called fly strike and I suggest you google it.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Yes, clean it out with something like bleach like Inle_Rabbit said. Do you have any panels that you could corral your pigs in while they stay inside? or even just putting them in the bathtub with a towel in the bathtub and some hay will keep them busy and they wont get out.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
@VanillaTwilight You said that the insects were ant like.. do they have wings? If your cage is made out of wood they could be termites, possibly. You also said 2 of the female pigs are your friends pigs.. Are you temporarily caring for them? Or did you adopt them?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Fly Strike can be deadly to an animal like a guinea pig if they have it. https://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/flystrike this is a page which gives a brief overview of the condition.

Animals housed outside are exceptionally prone to this especially in dirty conditions. If you have outdoor pets, you need to clean much more frequently than 7 days apart, and PRE treat for conditions such as this. While for example, a pet store bought ivermectin isn't great for TREATING mites, it helps a little in discouraging them from latching on to your pet. If you intend to put your piggies back outside, find a pre-treat for flystrike, and clean the hutch every 3 days at least.

I would also recommend frequent baths and grooming for outdoor piggies.

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you have maggots from lack of cleaning. Clean your cage, wipe it down with 10% bleach/90%water, rinse incredible well with water and allow to dry before putting the pigs back in.

Move the poor animals inside where you will smell their stench and clean their cage before it gets that bad again!

Maggots can kill small animals, especially if the animals are dirty as it sounds like yours are. It's called fly strike and I suggest you google it.

I have already moved them inside. Thank you for your advice! I will definetely do that. Just asking, what kind of bleach do you recommend? Apparently, there are two...?

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
Yes, clean it out with something like bleach like Inle_Rabbit said. Do you have any panels that you could corral your pigs in while they stay inside? or even just putting them in the bathtub with a towel in the bathtub and some hay will keep them busy and they wont get out.

Thanks for the suggestion! They are currently safe in a box in my living room, definitely away from all the bugs.

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
@VanillaTwilight You said that the insects were ant like.. do they have wings? If your cage is made out of wood they could be termites, possibly. You also said 2 of the female pigs are your friends pigs.. Are you temporarily caring for them? Or did you adopt them?

I am temporarily caring for them while their owner is overseas.

I'm not very sure about that... I did find a dead insect with wings in there and got scared. :/ But my cage is made of wood...

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
Fly Strike can be deadly to an animal like a guinea pig if they have it. https://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/flystrike this is a page which gives a brief overview of the condition.

Animals housed outside are exceptionally prone to this especially in dirty conditions. If you have outdoor pets, you need to clean much more frequently than 7 days apart, and PRE treat for conditions such as this. While for example, a pet store bought ivermectin isn't great for TREATING mites, it helps a little in discouraging them from latching on to your pet. If you intend to put your piggies back outside, find a pre-treat for flystrike, and clean the hutch every 3 days at least.

I would also recommend frequent baths and grooming for outdoor piggies.

Okay, thank you! I will surely use your advice. My friend is coming over to pick up her pigs in late January, so by that time I will have an indoor cage set up in my room or in the living room. Most likely in the living room.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Great to hear they'll be coming indoors permanently :) Be sure to give all the piggies a bath now that they're staying inside and treat for fleas, mites etc. The usual host of lovely parasites that piggies are prone to. Better safe than sorry, plus the last thing you want is angry parents because there are bugs living in their sofa.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
@VanillaTwilight.. Very happy to hear they are inside with you now. I hope all goes well now. :)

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
Great to hear they'll be coming indoors permanently :) Be sure to give all the piggies a bath now that they're staying inside and treat for fleas, mites etc. The usual host of lovely parasites that piggies are prone to. Better safe than sorry, plus the last thing you want is angry parents because there are bugs living in their sofa.

Okay. But we gave them a bath about 5 days ago, is it better to give them a bath now?

And how do I treat them? Using a comb? I cannot go to the pet store now.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
If they haven't been bathed since they came in, I would do it to be on the safe side.

I treat for fleas and mites etc using a pet store bought ivermectin spot-on type thing. It's not great for getting rid of the real thing once they've got it, but unless you see significant itching, loss of hair, black spots in the fur, etc, a pet store spot-on should suffice as a preventative treatment. If you find they are doing any of the tell-tale parasite infection signs, get a vet quality ivermectin off your vets, or look on guinealynx for a suitable one :)

VanillaTwilight

Cavy Slave
If they haven't been bathed since they came in, I would do it to be on the safe side.

I treat for fleas and mites etc using a pet store bought ivermectin spot-on type thing. It's not great for getting rid of the real thing once they've got it, but unless you see significant itching, loss of hair, black spots in the fur, etc, a pet store spot-on should suffice as a preventative treatment. If you find they are doing any of the tell-tale parasite infection signs, get a vet quality ivermectin off your vets, or look on guinealynx for a suitable one :)

OK, thanks! Now that really helped a lot! ;)

So my Dad says we're going to the pet store now to get Carefresh. He blames the flies and insects on the bad bedding (which consists of just some straw, puppy pads and newspaper linings). So off we go! I'll try to get that on the way.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
That bedding is certainly not good. Thank you for switching! Keep us posted. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.