Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Towels Anyone use these pads?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I'm making a new fleece cage liner and I was thinking of trying one with this type of washable chux pad:
(broken link removed)

The price is great and I would just sew a fleece layer on top like a large "pillow case" turn right side out leave one end open but tuck under and clip to cage. (I do this because I think it helps to wash inside out sometimes).

I'm wondering if they would last a week or not?

Thanks for any input.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I use the twin size pads under the fleece that covers the whole cage, then I have smaller pads(2 layers of flannel sewn to the bottom of the fleece) that are easy to change out every day or so. I have the small fleece pads in the high traffic area. I only have to change out the total fleece liner every 2 weeks but that's because it usally doesn't get wet.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Thanks, that's a good idea to make a smaller pad for the high pee areas. My guy seems to pee in one corner so that's helpful ;)

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I ended up getting one that was 27 x 52 (or close to that) but I just got mine in the mail. It was only $12 and it's supposed to hold 1800ccs of liquid. I still need to get the fleece cover sewn up. That's my plan for the weekend!
Luckily, my guy only pees in his hay box (knock on wood) but I'm sure I won't be so lucky with his new buddy we are waiting to get.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If there like the hospital pads I use them under fleece in free time to protect my wood floors (if there my room) or if there upstair to protect the carpet.. They know only to pee on them not the carpet.. I never did train them but they just have always done it since Mandy was 8 weeks old and when Cupcake she did the same.. 2 smart piggies I have..

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
@Guinea_lover327 I love using the pads under my main fleece that covers the whole cage. It's easy to wash because it's not attached to the fleece(so it's not as bulky) and they don't get stinky. But like I said before, I also have small fleece with 2 layers of flannel sewn together that are changed out every other day.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I use chux pads in my cage. I like how thin and absorbent they are!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I use chux pads in my cage. I like how thin and absorbent they are!

Do you use the disposable ones or the washable ones.

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure, I've never cut any of mine up. I just use fleece and flannel to make cuddle cups and sacks.

@Hhbean could I like cut these up and make cuddle cups or cozy sacks with it

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I use them or something similar. I got a bunch free from my medical supplier (Im a nurse). He got the company to send me a whole case as a "free sample". Not sure if they are the same brand or not or the same absorbency rating, but mine are pink too and work great. I put them under the fleece and nothing gets through to the coroplast.

Mine are the washable kind. I have not cut them to use them Ezra any sewing projects because I don't sew. I prefer NOT to sew them to my fleece because they are a little bulky and I prefer to separate bulky things into separate loads so my washes doesn't get stressed too much.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
I bought one that I think was the size of a bed and they cut and it seem not to leek. The ones I buy are the ones they use in hospitals.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
I use them or something similar. I got a bunch free from my medical supplier (Im a nurse). He got the company to send me a whole case as a "free sample"..

Send some my ways.. :D

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
Send some my ways.. :D

A case isn't as big as it sounds. I think there were like eight or something in there and I gave a few to a local rescue. Maybe next time lol

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to report back that I've used this pad (broken link removed) for 2 weeks and it worked really well. I did not attach the fleece to it, I just laid the pad in the bottom and clipped the fleece to the sides with binder clips.

The pad absorbed well and washed up easy. It dried fast too-I think I just put it on medium heat for 40 min.
For $12 it's a great deal IMO.

ETA-the first week was just for 1 pig, but the second week it was for 2 pigs and it definitely was covered with pee! But no leaks on the coro at all-not even the corners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.