Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

newcomer saying Hi

sherri86

Cavy Slave
Hi ,

My name is Sherri and my first pig was my sweet Brucey. A family in the neighborhood could no longer give him the time he needed and was trying to rehome. My husbands name is Bruce and I just could not resist. After adopting him I started reading as much as I could about Guinea pigs. I learned they are herd animals and prefer not to be alone. I then purchased my Rooty from Petsmart (before I knew not to).

They did not work in same cage but enjoyed their time in the playpen in the evenings. I lost my sweet Brucey driving to the emergency vet 8-28-16 . :( :(It was heartbreaking because my husband and I heard and I saw his last dying breaths. We were and still are heartbroken. My husband who I have only seen cry once before cried for over a week and still tears up when he thinks of him. He was a very unique individual. He acted more like a Dog then a Guinea thth.. We miss him running up to the end of the playpen when he hears us in the kitchen , he would run back and forth with his head up waiting to see what food might be coming.

He also never made many of the usual guinea pig sounds, except teeth chattering (when first introduced to Rooty) and quieter quick noises. He was fine all day, then started to look lethargic, we were monitoring him and at one point it was like he was drunk and could not stand up on his own. That's when we tried rushing him to the vet, but unfortunately it was too late. We will wonder forever if realizing the signs sooner could have saved him. He was around 3 1/2 to 4 years old, the previous owners were not sure. We had him for a glorious almost 6 months.

We now have Rooty and Coco (adopted from shelter) and Percy and Buddy adopted from a lady who rescues pigs. Rooty and Coco share a 4x2 C & C cage with narrow loft. Percy and Buddy are about 3 months old and are brothers and share a temporary 3 x 1 1/2 c & c cage.

after researching more after we lost Brucey I learned that Brucey getting skinnier was not do to old age. I have had cats for years and when they get old they thin out and get boney. He started thinning out about 2 months ago, but he was still eating a lot and drinking and still active. He did poop about twice as much as Rooty and thinking back , maybe he was not eating enough of the soft pellets ???

I want to try and learn what might have been going on so it does not happen again

I feed them pellets and Timothy Hay from small pet select and give them fresh vegies and fruit in the morning and in the evening when I get home from work. Mostly Dandelion Greens from store, parsley , cilantro, kale , bb carrots and sometimes spinach. Fruit is apples pieces , cutie slices , seedless grapes , and on rare occasion banana.

If anyone has some tips for me it would be appreciated. I attached pics of my Brucey (black and white pic) Rooty , & Coco (all black piggy). Don't have pics of Percy or Buddy on this computer..

Thank you
Sherri H

Attachments

Sweet Brucey black and white pic.jpg Coco.jpg rooty.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I do have some suggestions about your diet. Dandelion, parsley, kale and spinach are very high in calcium, and should be given very sparingly to pigs over six months of age. Younger pigs can have one of those daily as a source of calcium unless they're getting alfalfa pellets, in which case they're under the same restrictions as the older ones.

Greens should consist of red or green leaf lettuce as mainstays. Some pigs will have problems with urinary calcium when eating romaine and/or cilantro, so it's best to avoid the romaine and limit the cilantro. Other pigs are not bothered by those greens, but stones are a major problem with guinea pigs, so the better part of valor is just to leave them out of the diet.

Guinea pigs do not process sugar well, and it can upset the digestive tract in a major way. Fruit should be limited to small pieces occasionally as treats.

You need to feed something as a fresh source of vitamin C. Bell pepper is excellent for this, and should be part of any daily diet.

Here's some recommended reading for new(ish) guinea pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners (has a link for what you can feed and how often)
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome!
bpatters covered more than what I had to say except: even if you eventually find out what happened to brucey it's all in the past, I'm sure he was happy with such an attentive mommy so don't beat yourself up too much

pigtales

Cavy Slave
Adorable piggies! Welcome!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

sherri86

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the info. I do feed them mini sweet peppers daily and half cherry tomatoes ..but I will start feeding them based on the chart you directed me to. ! :)

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! So sorry for your loss!!!

sherri86

Cavy Slave
Thank you that means a lot
Hi and welcome!
bpatters covered more than what I had to say except: even if you eventually find out what happened to brucey it's all in the past, I'm sure he was happy with such an attentive mommy so don't beat yourself up too much

rotto77

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.