Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning love hate relationship with fleece

rhia101

Cavy Slave
hi, this is my first post and i have a question. How do you keep your pigs from smoshing there poop into the fleece? i do clean out there cae 2ce a day and i make sure to clean it completely every 6 days. i have 4 boars in one cage thats a 3x6 and they get along fine. though it kills me to get home from school and find there fleece has been ruined by squished poop! also im building a kitchen area onto there cage, this might help i think, but what is the best type of bedding to put down?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
We just heard back from a customer that was frustrated with cleaning just fleece. Then she added the combination of our Cavy Cafe (kitchen) with the Fleece Flippers. She is now very happy as the piggies potty in the kitchen area, the fleece stays cleaner longer and she only has to change out the kitchen area every 3-4 days. She's planning on ordering another set of Fleece Flippers as a result of that combination. You can use any bedding in the kitchen area, Carefresh is good.

I very strongly recommend Fleece Flippers in combination with a Kitchen area (3/4 fleece, 1/4 kitchen). It's really the best of both worlds.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I can't advise you on bedding as I only have rabbits... But cute pigtures are a must! :)

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I still use "regular" fleece (not the flippers), but I agree with CavySpirit's recommendation on having the kitchen area, especially the Cavy Cafe style. I'm getting the Cavy Cafe, but even my temporary homemade one makes a difference -- keeps the majority of their poos in one area, so they aren't tracking and grinding them in the rest of the cage. I just pick the poo-berries or dump the kitchen area contents and it keeps everything less poo-full.

Can't wait to get the real thing, though ....

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
I still use "regular" fleece (not the flippers), but I agree with CavySpirit's recommendation on having the kitchen area, especially the Cavy Cafe style. I'm getting the Cavy Cafe, but even my temporary homemade one makes a difference -- keeps the majority of their poos in one area, so they aren't tracking and grinding them in the rest of the cage. I just pick the poo-berries or dump the kitchen area contents and it keeps everything less poo-full.

Can't wait to get the real thing, though ....

Ahaha I'm sorry I couldn't get over the "poo-berries" I call them love pills/piles

rhia101

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I haven't heard of the cavy café, i will defiantly have to check it out. Also, I'll be posting pictures of their cage after I remodel it ^.^

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
good luck with your remodelling! after i added a loft kitchen, i also made sure to lay down a litter box under it where it's darker. my piggies tend to pee in the dark corners :)

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Am I the only one who worries about the squishy poo? My pigs poo a lot, but not squishy, they do not squish it into the fleece. Their poo isn't hard, but the consistency is such that it does not get stuck to the fleece even if the pigs stand on the poo.

rebeccars

Cavy Slave
I use a litter box in the corner with carefresh bedding and I have their hay rack in there too. Most of their poopies are in the box and contained making cleaning the cage easier.

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
I've tried carefresh bedding but I've recently found better, it's amazing with Oder control.
[h=1]Fresh World Bedding:[/h]
* Environmentally friendly small pet bedding made of unbleached recycled newspaper and magazines
* Includes baking soda to wick away small pet odors

* Nontoxic and color safe

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Am I the only one who worries about the squishy poo? My pigs poo a lot, but not squishy, they do not squish it into the fleece. Their poo isn't hard, but the consistency is such that it does not get stuck to the fleece even if the pigs stand on the poo.

My thoughts @SardonicSmile. I would be more concerned about the squishy poo because my girls' poo is never squishy even when they run on it and sleep on it. It sounds to me like there may be an issue with something in their diet. But I am by far no expert.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.