Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning have any of this happen to you guys out there?

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
So I use my old lunchbox that I never use as a sleeping place for my piggie, thinking that it would be to cold and uncomforable to lay on I made him a mini pillow. He was so comfortable with it that theres pee and poo all over it after 4 hours! :( I just cleaned it but I definitely dont wanna wash it eveyday.. have that issue happen anyone out there?

Attachments

20130113_215721.jpg

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have this issue with Mocha and Moos' cuddle cup, always covered in popcorn >.<. I have to wash it everyday!

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
I have this issue with Mocha and Moos' cuddle cup, always covered in popcorn >.<. I have to wash it everyday!
Do you take out the cotton and then wash it or just throw it in the washer/handwash it

emsillly

Cavy Slave
ya i think thats normal expecially if they really love it and dont want to leave it then they will just sit there for hours and pee and poop - i for example got them a little tent but i put a little towel down it so i can just take the towel off and put a new one on and the tent is dry.

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
ya i think thats normal expecially if they really love it and dont want to leave it then they will just sit there for hours and pee and poop - i for example got them a little tent but i put a little towel down it so i can just take the towel off and put a new one on and the tent is dry.
Thanks thats a good idea im gunna do that :)

piggiepleaser

Cavy Slave
I think even a cardboard box would be warmer and more comfortable than your old lunch box. Metal is very cold. Could you cut the bottom out of a cardboard box (and put fleece down) and then just cut a hole in the side for a door? I really think your piggie might like that better.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pigs pee and poop all the time. You need to put something washable in there.

And please get rid of the cotton immediately, or you're going to have a guinea pig that needs emergency surgery. Cotton is NOT a suitable bedding.

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
Cotton is NOT a suitable bedding.
Is plastic alright if ingested?? Miya ate some of the plastic we put under the sheets :sorry:

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
One of mine leaves surprises in her hammock all the time. Sometimes it looks like she's just waited all day to fill it.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I have always used batting/ stuffing in hidies.

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
I think even a cardboard box would be warmer and more comfortable than your old lunch box. Metal is very cold. Could you cut the bottom out of a cardboard box (and put fleece down) and then just cut a hole in the side for a door? I really think your piggie might like that better.

Yeah I know so I change it cardboard

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
Pigs pee and poop all the time. You need to put something washable in there.

And please get rid of the cotton immediately, or you're going to have a guinea pig that needs emergency surgery. Cotton is NOT a suitable bedding.
Thanks for your concern but i never said I use cotton as bedding.. I said I made a pillow and stuff it with cotton and sew it up good and tight inside and out.

piggiepleaser

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your concern but i never said I use cotton as bedding.. I said I made a pillow and stuff it with cotton and sew it up good and tight inside and out.

I think bpatters means that if the outside of your pillow is also cotton, it's going to stay wet, and your piggy will sit in the wet and cause them terrible medical problems. Is the "outside" of your pillow made of fleece (that's been washed several times)? Fleece is ok because it will pull the wet from their pee away from them down into the stuffing.

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
I think bpatters means that if the outside of your pillow is also cotton, it's going to stay wet, and your piggy will sit in the wet and cause them terrible medical problems. Is the "outside" of your pillow made of fleece (that's been washed several times)? Fleece is ok because it will pull the wet from their pee away from them down into the stuffing.

If the outside is cloth is that okay?

piggiepleaser

Cavy Slave
If the outside is cloth is that okay?

There are many different types of cloth -- cotton is one and fleece is another. You need to have fleece cloth on the outside. And, you need to wash it and dry it 3-4 times before you let the piggy use it. This helps the fleece to start letting the pee go through it, which is what you want. That way the pee will go to the middle of the pillow -- away from the piggy's bottom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.