Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help me American chefs!

• Thread starter Princess_Piggie
  • Start date

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Okay, so here in the UK, we don't have one of my favourite snacks...corn dogs. It's atrocious. Anyway, I followed a recipe to make the batter myself recently, and they just didn't come out the way I remember them tasting the last time! I don't know if it was lacking a certain herb, or spice, or something, but it definitely was VERY plain. I had to make the batter really quite runny to even get it on the hot dog, so maybe I just need to compensate by adding extra salt and pepper or something?

Anyway, here's the recipe, any changes/suggestions you have, just throw'em at me! https://allrecipes.com/recipe/corn-dogs/

ETA I'm using polenta instead of cornmeal, but it's the same thing isn't it?

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I usually make things all homemade/organic, but since corn dogs are my "sin food" I don't mind taking short cuts and making them into junk food lol

So I'm not sure if you have this available... but do you have premade crescent dough? If you do, wrap that around the hot dog and cook it up like that. It's so, so, so good. And quick lol

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Crescent rolls cooked on hot dogs are delicious, especially if you slit the hit dog down the center and add cheese under the crescent roll before you cook them. I don't know much about corn dogs, the last one I had at a county fair definitely had some black pepper in the batter.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I don't think we have crescent dough here! I've never seen it anyway :(

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Use soda water or beer instead of water and that makes the batter all puffy and delicious also add a bit of honey for sweetness.

Last edited by a moderator:

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use polenta instead of cornmeal. It has a different texture and taste. That's probably why your corndog didn't turn out quite right.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@CritterSlave brilliant idea!

[MENTION=12813]CavyMama[/MENTION] thank you! I was under the impression they where the same thing, but apparently they're made with different corn or something? Anyway I'll have to get searching the world foods aisle for it since I've only been able to find polenta so far.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Also make sure that your oil temp is correct if it's too cool the corn dogs will be greasy if it's too hot they won't cook correctly. Are you also using some wheat flour in your batter? It helps a bit keeping it together and gluten from wheat helps the batter to cling to the dog. It may also help to very lightly dust the dogs with flour before dipping in batter that helps the batter adhere.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Uhh no I was just using plain flour! I'll have to look and see if I can find wheat flour! Oddly enough, when I dipped the dogs in flour before coating with batter, it made it stick less! I tried it both ways and for some reason it sticks better when there's no flour on.

I don't really have an 'oil temperature' per se, deep fryers aren't really common in homes here so I just have a pan filled with oil on my hob when I do it lol

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
All purpose flour is wheat flour. You can purchase a thermometer I believe candy thermometers work well for this to watch your oil temp and to prevent grease fires due to the oil overheating. They are usually very inexpensive.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Ahh I'll have to look in to getting one then! Thank you :)

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
A few tips - you can find cornmeal in the world foods section of Tesco - it's in plastic bags in the Indian food section. Don't buy the corn flour from the baking aisle, that's like cornstarch in the US. You can also find crescent dough in the refrigerated section - it's usually near the butter. They have it at all major supermarkets - Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys. It's labelled as croissant dough. One brand is Jus Roll, but there are also generic varieties. Hope that helps!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I make corn dog muffins. Super easy! Corn bread mix with a little added white sugar prepared per instructions, put in a muffin tin and add a chunk of hot dog in the middle, cook per instructions.

If you can get corn bread mix that might be the easiest way to do it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit yum! I'm definitely going to try that one!

[MENTION=26471]Party Guineas[/MENTION] thank you so much! I've only really looked in Waitrose since that's the closest supermarket to me, so I'll have to make the long journey to Tesco's soon!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.