Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Ended up with a bunny and need some help with a guinea pig/bunny cage plan

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My sister and bro in law were "tired" of their rabbit Willy and were going to give him away on craigslist... I threw a fit about it and now he is coming to live with me! My plan is to build a new cage and have him under my piggies. Currently the pigs are in a 3x5, so I was planning on going up to a 3x6 with a 3x3x6 underneath for the bun. I know I've seen photos of similar setups on here but I can't find them for the life of me. Do these dimensions sound good for a medium size (6 lbs or so) rabbit? Also I think I have seen people using floor tiles as a cage bottom. I thought I could stick them to a sheet of coro. Final question... what can I use to reinforce the grids so it does sway in the middle? Willy is coming tommorrow in his store bought vacation cage and my plan is to have his cage ready by Monday.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
A 3x5 should be enough room for a bunny. Make sure to get him fixed so that he doesn't spray on everything. I wouldn't use floor tiles no the bottom if you are going to use coroplast. Most people use floor tiles in a rabbit cage because they build the base out of wood that needs protecting from wetness. Use dowels to reinforce the ceiling.

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
Ask @RodentCuddles - that's the set up
she has and she's like a small animal genius

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tips! I'll probably go 3x6 just because I'm moving the cage to a room with more space. We're converting the office we dont use anymore to a piggy/bunny room. Good to know a 3x5 is big enough in case I'm over estimating the room size... I still need to measure everything. Despite being annoyed at my sister for getting rid of her 4 year old rabbit... I'm actually excited toget Willy... he's a cool bunny.:cool:

Frode789

Cavy Slave
Would love to see a picture of your new bunny friend :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
For a week I had a 3x4x4...with my rabbit under in a 4x4x2 and the pigs on the top in a 4x4. I really loved it.

Now I have a 3x7 + 1x2...Still LOVE IT!
I have a table I use so I can go in the pigs cage to be able to clean up the back etc.
I wouldn't like it/feel it was strong enough if the top of the rabbits cage/bottom of the pigs cage was just made from grids.

Rabbit pictures needed!

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
I'll post a pic as soon as he's here! @RodentCuddles I have a table I could use as a support... thanks for the idea!
Eta: is 2 grids high tall enough for a bunny? I was thinking it had to be three high, but two would be sturdier.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
It depends on how big the bunny is. For a dwarf rabbit it might be ok but for anything else it would be too small.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I used 3/4" plywood to make the ledges for my rabbit cage, which was 3 high, and never had an issue with it being wobbly or unsupported. The wood is stronger than the grids so it gave more strength to the cage.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
Alright... I have the coro cut for the bunny level of the cage. I am modeling it after @RodentCuddles set up, only it will be a 3x6 instead of a 4x4. I should have it all together later tonight and I will post pictures! My pigs should be quite happy with the extra space they will be getting, plus they will be in an area of the house with much more traffic:)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Alright... I have the coro cut for the bunny level of the cage. I am modeling it after @RodentCuddles set up, only it will be a 3x6 instead of a 4x4. I should have it all together later tonight and I will post pictures! My pigs should be quite happy with the extra space they will be getting, plus they will be in an area of the house with much more traffic:)

Haha...my two rabbits now have a 4x7....with free roam of my room...as long as they don't start using my bed as an litter box again!
Can't wait for pictures of the rabbit and the cage!

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
Wow that's Huge! I wish I could fit one that big.

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new bunny! I have one too...a Mini Rex...who's not so 'mini'...we lovingly call her Bunzilla as she loves to toss things through the air. just be ware that Bunny's do have some respirtory virusus that can transfer to guinea pigs...even healthy looking bunnies can be carriers. My bunny stays in the same play area as my piggy but in separate cages. But when my piggy recently got sick it crossed my mind that she may have gotten sick from bunny...but it was due to something else, especially since they have shared the same area for 7 mths. Has Bunny given her something it would have showed up long ago...Even my vet agreed it probably wasn't caused by the bunny....so just be vigilant if you see any signs of URI in piggies after your bunny arrives. Enjoy!

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
I stayed up until 5 am finishing the cage... It looks great! I will post some pictures later on. Willy is settling in just fine and the gps love the extra space they have. I love that I have my bedroom backlol

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
Finally got some pictures! Willy's cage is still pretty bare, I need to get him a tunnel and bed. I've got some wooden chew toys orders. Piggy cage also seem bare after moving them into a larger cage. I have a lot of extra grids and will make tunnels for them. :)

Ended up with a bunny and need some help with a guinea pig/bunny cage planEnded up with a bunny and need some help with a guinea pig/bunny cage planEnded up with a bunny and need some help with a guinea pig/bunny cage planEnded up with a bunny and need some help with a guinea pig/bunny cage planEnded up with a bunny and need some help with a guinea pig/bunny cage plan

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Aw cute bunny! He needs something soft to lay on, even a scrap fleece will do. Carpet squares or small rugs are also nice for them if they don't eat it or potty on it.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit I'm going to get him a bed, but for now I've got a quilt (the one covering the shelf on the far right looped around so he can lay on it on the flor and on top of the shelf. Any more suggestions? This is my first bunny experience so any advice or cage criticism is welcome and wanted! Also he does get lots of floor time in my bunny proof bedroom.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Very nice cage! :) Are you good a sewing? If so you may want to make a fleece liner or clips the fleece to the side as rabbits love to dig. My bunnies love there cuddle cups, as well. If I'm at petsmart I will buy them those Timothy lounger s that my bunnies love. Good luck!

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately my sewing skills pretty much end at button repair:) I did put a fleece blanket in for him until I find a bed for him.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Ok awesome! I didn't see that. I am personally of the opinion that having a solid surface like tile or coroplast is fine for rabbits as long as they have a nice soft spot to rest. Plus cleaning is a lot easier! But each pet owner knows what their animal likes the best. ;-)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.