Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty Desexing

• Thread starter guineapigfamily
  • Start date

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone,

In about 1-2 months im thinking about getting my boar desexed, but after reading and been told some horrible stories i am scared to death about going ahead with it.

I was wondering if anyone could let me know if its really the best thing for him?
c526526ace69cf91ac7bc01f2e71988e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Neutering is quite safe when done by a very cavy savvy vet. I have had four boars neutered in the past few years and all of them fared well. Do note that I say a very cavy saavy Vet. The Vet who did all my neuters is very skilled and very experienced......I never have a moment's worry.

I have had my boars neutered for a variety of reasons over the past 7+ years.......to reduce aggression, spraying and mounting; because I wanted to pair him with an intact female, and then a reason that people rarely mention: his genitals were so huge that he couldn't walk without tripping over his testicles! Sparky was just five months old and already I simply couldn't keep him clean, so it became a matter of hygiene. I had his brother neutered at the same time to reduce his aggression and also so as not to upset the balance of power between them. Two years later I feel that it was entirely the right thing to do.

Do remember that there are no guarantees that all will go well with any kind of surgery. You just have to carefully consider the risk/benefit when making your decision.

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
Neutering is quite safe when done by a very cavy savvy vet. I have had four boars neutered in the past few years and all of them fared well. Do note that I say a very cavy saavy Vet. The Vet who did all my neuters is very skilled and very experienced......I never have a moment's worry.

I have had my boars neutered for a variety of reasons over the past 7+ years.......to reduce aggression, spraying and mounting; because I wanted to pair him with an intact female, and then a reason that people rarely mention: his genitals were so huge that he couldn't walk without tripping over his testicles! Sparky was just five months old and already I simply couldn't keep him clean, so it became a matter of hygiene. I had his brother neutered at the same time to reduce his aggression and also so as not to upset the balance of power between them. Two years later I feel that it was entirely the right thing to do.

Do remember that there are no guarantees that all will go well with any kind of surgery. You just have to carefully consider the risk/benefit when making your decision.
Thank you so much for all your help [emoji4] i did ask my greencross vet that i see often if they desex guinea pigs and they said they did but im unsure what to do still [emoji21]

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
So, iv made the decision to get my little boar neutered in about 2-3mths time and iv started getting all the paperwork and money together, Super worried and nervous! But in the long run it will be better for him and he can live with his ladies [emoji28]

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Good for you! Sounds like a wise decision. He'll be delighted to be with his harem. :love:

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
Good for you! Sounds like a wise decision. He'll be delighted to be with his harem. :love:
I am a little bit worried as i keep getting told this by a fb admin [emoji21] she has said that my boy will be perfectly fine living next to 4 sows [emoji848] im not sure what to do
e5e351b79293dbb2f75d4608f511a393.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need a good exotic vet who has done a lot of guinea pig neuters to do this. Do not choose a small animal vet -- they're trained for dogs and cats. Find a good exotic vet, ask how many guinea pig neuters they do, and what their rate of complications is.

If you'll post your city and state, we might be able to recommend a good vet for you.

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
You need a good exotic vet who has done a lot of guinea pig neuters to do this. Do not choose a small animal vet -- they're trained for dogs and cats. Find a good exotic vet, ask how many guinea pig neuters they do, and what their rate of complications is.

If you'll post your city and state, we might be able to recommend a good vet for you.
I like in Australia on the sunshine coast QLD, This is the email i got from my vet
386812f0f68187a26a62a52e76160caa.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, you posted that already. But it doesn't answer the questions I'd want answered.

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
Yes, you posted that already. But it doesn't answer the questions I'd want answered.
Really? I cant see it [emoji848] im going into the vets today to ask them more questions

Soecara

Cavy Slave
What you want to know is how often they get a guinea pig (or rabbit, the procedure for desexing male rabbits has very similar protocols) in to be desexed. All they have said is yes they do desex, not how frequently they actually get in guinea pig patients to desex. Then how many of those previous patients have had some form of complication and what were those complications.

https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm has a good list of questions to ask.

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
What you want to know is how often they get a guinea pig (or rabbit, the procedure for desexing male rabbits is relatively similar) in to be desexed. All they have said is yes they do desex, not how frequently they actually get in guinea pig patients to desex. Then how many of those previous patients have had some form of complication and what were those complications.

Thats the paperwork i printed out yesturday i printed like 11 pages haha[emoji4]
02e65dae9cabf80c0060da306183a090.jpg

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
What you want to know is how often they get a guinea pig (or rabbit, the procedure for desexing male rabbits has very similar protocols) in to be desexed. All they have said is yes they do desex, not how frequently they actually get in guinea pig patients to desex. Then how many of those previous patients have had some form of complication and what were those complications.

Went and spoke to my vet [emoji4] they have done many desexing and have all gone great,the lady i spoke to said that every surgery has been successful and have have not had any pass. They have all new equipment and they stitch from the inside so that the guinea pigs can't undo them and its also less chance of infection [emoji847][emoji847]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.