Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Unsure of g-pigs age, can someone help?

Codieh

Cavy Slave
I got my new guinea pig about 4/5 days ago? I was told by the pet shop she was 8 weeks old but I'm believing a little younger as she's trying to suckle off of my other guineas. Thoughts on how old you think she is?
Here is a picture of her below: And if she is 8 weeks old, do you think she's not been weaned? ...
Toasty.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no way to know. You can mostly tell if a pig is younger by their nails, but other than that, it's anyone's guess.

If she's eight weeks old, she's almost certainly been weaned. Most sows wean their pups between 3-4 weeks.

Codieh

Cavy Slave
There's no way to know. You can mostly tell if a pig is younger by their nails, but other than that, it's anyone's guess.

If she's eight weeks old, she's almost certainly been weaned. Most sows wean their pups between 3-4 weeks.
That's just it, she's trying to suckle off of one of my other guinea pigs when they're together. So I'm assuming she's less than 8 weeks old, I've never had a guinea pig 8 weeks or younger so... Only 12 weeks+

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just leave them alone if she's trying to suckle. It won't hurt a thing.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
there isn't really a way to know for sure. She looks around 5-8 weeks. As stated above, the suckling won't hurt anything, so I wouldn't worry. But I do see where you are coming from "If shes suckling, is she weaned, if she might not be weaned, how old is she?" and pigs are usually completely weaned by 3-4 weeks. She doesn't look hat little so don't worry, all is well. The age estimate seems about right :)

hope I helped!

Last edited:

Codieh

Cavy Slave
there isn't really a way to know for sure. She looks around 5-8 weeks. As stated above, the suckling won't hurt anything, so I wouldn't worry. But I do see where you are coming from "If shes suckling, is she weaned, if she might not be weaned, how old is she?" and pigs are usually completely weaned by 3-4 weeks. She doesn't look hat little so don't worry, all is well. The age estimate seems about right :)

hope I helped!
Thank-you very much. x

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Perhaps you can post a video of this suckling behavior?
I'm almost certain she's just trying to hide under another pig.

Codieh

Cavy Slave
I will post a video when I get the chance to, as I've had to nip out to go see my nan in Hospital as she is very ill and my boyfriend is currently looking after them.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Young pigs will often try to hide underneath older ones. Sometimes they are confused--should I hide underneath or mount? And will try both.

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
If the suckling bothers the older piggie they'll let the youngster know. My Hale tried suckling her last cagemate and now sports a little nick in her ear.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I got my new guinea pig about 4/5 days ago? I was told by the pet shop she was 8 weeks old but I'm believing a little younger as she's trying to suckle off of my other guineas. Thoughts on how old you think she is?
Here is a picture of her below: And if she is 8 weeks old, do you think she's not been weaned? ...
View attachment 71973
i i think shes good. i got a 4 week old from a pet shop and she tried o suckle off me so i just bough a water bottle with a tiny nozzle. shes 10 weeks now and hasn't grown muchish (i mean shes kinda skinny but looks the same as yours but differnt colors) shes about the size of yours and sometimes tries to suckle my oldest (10 months) but thats only cause she mothers her. i think she tried on my other one once but she learned not to. if shes the size of your hand or smaller shes under 4 weeks. if not and shes a little bigger than shes probably closer to 8 weeks. pet shops wean their pups to early so that could explain the suckling

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
or that could be it. i know my baby now hides under my ooldest and second oldest while my oldes well curl in up in a ball to hide and my second oldest mounts. it could be what mrwhistles said

Codieh

Cavy Slave
i i think shes good. i got a 4 week old from a pet shop and she tried o suckle off me so i just bough a water bottle with a tiny nozzle. shes 10 weeks now and hasn't grown muchish (i mean shes kinda skinny but looks the same as yours but differnt colors) shes about the size of yours and sometimes tries to suckle my oldest (10 months) but thats only cause she mothers her. i think she tried on my other one once but she learned not to. if shes the size of your hand or smaller shes under 4 weeks. if not and shes a little bigger than shes probably closer to 8 weeks. pet shops wean their pups to early so that could explain the suckling
Yeah, she's still trying to suckle off of one of them now, but not as often as she was to be honest. She's the exact same size as my hand, she can fit into my palm... Guess my hands are just massive.. She's still not eating much but she will drink from her water bottle as she wouldn't unless I held it before. Other than that she's doing okay... Though one of my other guinea pigs are a bit vicious and don't like new guinea pigs near her/try to suckle her. Whereas my other one Angel acts like she's the mother of Toasty (my 8 week old). I do think that pets shops do wean their guinea pigs way too early as well ngl. Thanks for this x

But it could be a bit of hiding under the other guinea pig as she does that a few times, but when she does she stretches out underneath my other guinea pig with both ends out each side of her underneath... If that makes sense? So I know the difference when she's trying to suckle and when she's not.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Yeah, she's still trying to suckle off of one of them now, but not as often as she was to be honest. She's the exact same size as my hand, she can fit into my palm... Guess my hands are just massive.. She's still not eating much but she will drink from her water bottle as she wouldn't unless I held it before. Other than that she's doing okay... Though one of my other guinea pigs are a bit vicious and don't like new guinea pigs near her/try to suckle her. Whereas my other one Angel acts like she's the mother of Toasty (my 8 week old). I do think that pets shops do wean their guinea pigs way too early as well ngl. Thanks for this x

But it could be a bit of hiding under the other guinea pig as she does that a few times, but when she does she stretches out underneath my other guinea pig with both ends out each side of her underneath... If that makes sense? So I know the difference when she's trying to suckle and when she's not.

Aww yeah, my baby is just the size of my dads hand kinda smaller. I'm young so I got small hands. Mocha (my baby) wouldnt drink unless i held it. And Mocha stretches out with Bailey (my oldest) but Emmy (second oldest) is also kinda vicious cause she doesn't even really like Bailey near her but shes a cuy and ive read they can be that way. Shes okay with Mocha now though.

And about the eating, give it a couple days lol. My baby pig is always nibbling something lol. Also do a quick run over for abscess or bites that might have been from a pet shop. Mocha had one from an infected bite and stopped eating so we gave her some medicne but have to take her back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codieh

Cavy Slave
Aww yeah, my baby is just the size of my dads hand kinda smaller. I'm young so I got small hands. Mocha (my baby) wouldnt drink unless i held it. And Mocha stretches out with Bailey (my oldest) but Emmy (second oldest) is also kinda vicious cause she doesn't even really like Bailey near her but shes a cuy and ive read they can be that way. Shes okay with Mocha now though.

And about the eating, give it a couple days lol. My baby pig is always nibbling something lol. Also do a quick run over for abscess or bites that might have been from a pet shop. Mocha had one from an infected bite and stopped eating so we gave her some medicne but have to take her back.

Awh, your guineas sound really cute! To be honest, the first night my oldest Dusty had a bite out of Toasty... Though it's healed now! c; Which I'm glad about. I have done a quick run over etc, and she seems perfectly fine! But I will give it a couple days, see how she goes. She's currently sat on my lap right now in bed while I'm writing this as we're both about to sleep (well doubt she will but yeah, me and my hubby are. :p Awh poor Mocha:( Mocha is a cute name btw c;

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
haha thanks. Your piggies sound adorable! Mocha actually responds more to Monkey than Mocha cause shes always climbing. Spot cleaning is impossible cause shes always chasing the dust pan or sitting in it or climbing up my arm. And Emmy nipped Mocha the first night but Bailey has always been fine with her. Although Bailey is my "Chill pig" lol. And good night!

Codieh

Cavy Slave
haha thanks. Your piggies sound adorable! Mocha actually responds more to Monkey than Mocha cause shes always climbing. Spot cleaning is impossible cause shes always chasing the dust pan or sitting in it or climbing up my arm. And Emmy nipped Mocha the first night but Bailey has always been fine with her. Although Bailey is my "Chill pig" lol. And good night!
Aha yeah, sounds like mine :p
Anyhow, thanks :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.