Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food A Bail of Timothy Hay..

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hi! I have been paying 20 dollars forthe largest bag of hay from a family owned petstore by my boyfriends house, I am about to have 6 guinea pigs so I want some advise on a Bail of Hay.

My mom's feed store sells it for 17 dollars for the entire bail!!

What kind of container can I put this in the keep it fresh and how before I have to throw it away?

I also need some suggestions on hay feeders, what I have now is not working for the babies becuase they sit on top of it and pee in it.. (frustrating)

Thank you! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Um, hay comes by the bale, not the bail. :)

I store bulk hay in my garage in cardboard boxes with lots of holes poked in them.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It will be gone before you have to throw it away if it doesn't get wet or anything. Make sure its nice green hay too. You can wrap in it a cotton sheet(use it like a tarp) and bring in enough for a week in a hamper. I keep mine in a old box from my last 3rd cut.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I live on the third floor of an apartment complex.... Am I going to be able to carry it up there ?

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Um, hay comes by the bale, not the bail. :)

I store bulk hay in my garage in cardboard boxes with lots of holes poked in them.

I wasn't 100% sure on the grammar! I figured you guys would know what I am talking about. But I know for the future now. :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It's going to be about fifty pounds. Have someone carry it for you. I have my sons carry mine up.

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave
I buy small bales at Tractor Supply and I keep it in a plastic tub in my back bedroom (where the piggies live)...I've never had a problem with having to throw any of it away because I've got 3 pigs and 2 rabbits, so I'd think you'd go through it pretty fast with your crew as well, lol. It's kinda heavy, but you shouldn't have much trouble hauling it up to your apartment.

Also, I never have much luck with hay feeders. I keep the pigs' hay in a plastic shoe box with a hole cut in the top, so they can pull it out, but not make a HUGE mess with it. If I just put it in a hay rack or in a box with no lid, they just pull it all out at once and scatter it everywhere.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I buy small bales at Tractor Supply and I keep it in a plastic tub in my back bedroom (where the piggies live)...I've never had a problem with having to throw any of it away because I've got 3 pigs and 2 rabbits, so I'd think you'd go through it pretty fast with your crew as well, lol. It's kinda heavy, but you shouldn't have much trouble hauling it up to your apartment.

Also, I never have much luck with hay feeders. I keep the pigs' hay in a plastic shoe box with a hole cut in the top, so they can pull it out, but not make a HUGE mess with it. If I just put it in a hay rack or in a box with no lid, they just pull it all out at once and scatter it everywhere.

That is actually a good idea! Do you have any photos? I might be able to find something like that at dollar tree!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I live on the third floor of an apartment complex.... Am I going to be able to carry it up there ?

It's going to depend on the size of the bale. Around here it's 100lbs bale. You could break it into flakes and carry it up.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
My mom who buys regular horse hay (yellow?) She said they are very large, she keeps hers in an dumpster empty dumpster bin so i am guessing thats a lot of hay.. and I will need to figure something out lol

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave
That is actually a good idea! Do you have any photos? I might be able to find something like that at dollar tree!

I'll take a picture when I get home ^_^

It's this kind of box, but with a lid
A Bail of Timothy Hay..

miniver

Cavy Slave
If I just put it in a hay rack or in a box with no lid, they just pull it all out at once and scatter it everywhere.

It reminds me of Halloween when they pull all the hay out like that. When you get home from Trick-or-Treating, you spread all the candy out on the floor and eat all the good stuff first. The only difference is that I never peed on the candy I didn't like. lol

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I think I am going to buy a dumpster for it.

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave
It reminds me of Halloween when they pull all the hay out like that. When you get home from Trick-or-Treating, you spread all the candy out on the floor and eat all the good stuff first. The only difference is that I never peed on the candy I didn't like. lol

It's true...that's pretty much EXACTLY what it is! It's hilarious, and annoying at the same time, hahaha.

Here's my solution. So far, they haven't figured out how to get the lid off, LOL - controller shown for size reference

A Bail of Timothy Hay..

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
It's true...that's pretty much EXACTLY what it is! It's hilarious, and annoying at the same time, hahaha.

Here's my solution. So far, they haven't figured out how to get the lid off, LOL - controller shown for size reference

A Bail of Timothy Hay..

I can probably even get some of these at dollar tree or use an old tupperware set.. My boyfriend has a dollartree store and I am sure he will pick some up.

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave
Absolutely...I think I got this one at WalMart for like 84 cents. I have several of them stacked up in the pet supply room because the pigs and the bunnies all get their hay like this. Just make sure you get one with a lid that snaps on tightly, so they have more trouble getting it open.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Absolutely...I think I got this one at WalMart for like 84 cents. I have several of them stacked up in the pet supply room because the pigs and the bunnies all get their hay like this. Just make sure you get one with a lid that snaps on tightly, so they have more trouble getting it open.

do you think it will be hard to the younger 1 week old piggies to get hay?

Another Idea I am thinking about is putting actual littler boxes in the cage for their food and that way if they spill all of the hay at least it will be easier to clean up.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I'll take a picture when I get home ^_^

It's this kind of box, but with a lid
A Bail of Timothy Hay..

I like the idea of having the hay in an open box but one of my pigs has lots of fun with tipping containers of food on top of herself so maybe I will try this idea with a rock or brick at the bottom to keep it stable lol Thanks for the idea!

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I buy small bales at Tractor Supply

Hmm I think I have a Tractor supply nearby. Maybe I'll have a look and see if we have small bales here too. How much do they cost for you? I'm trying to decide if I should keep getting hay from KMS Hayloft or if I should switch to a nearby farm.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hmm I think I have a Tractor supply nearby. Maybe I'll have a look and see if we have small bales here too. How much do they cost for you? I'm trying to decide if I should keep getting hay from KMS Hayloft or if I should switch to a nearby farm.

If I can get hay without having to wait for it, a farm is better and you can take a good look at the hay too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.