Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior "Abby-tudes"

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Since joining the forum I've noticed a few posts where the word "Abby-tude" is mentioned and I gather it implies Abby piggies have some...erm, attitude issues lol. I have to say I find this hilarious but probably completely true. I've had my 3 piggie girls since September (first time piggie mummy here) and the youngest one, Dahlia is an Abby and she definitely has some attitude going on, even though she is last in pecking order. :D

She pees on us, she spray pees on her sisters faces, she never quietens in our lap, she is the one that explores the most in floor time, she is the loudest, she eats all the corn, she pees and poos everywhere, etc

So I'm curious, is this abby-tude a common fact or just coincidence? Do you have abbys with abby-tudes? What do they get up to?

Below is my gorgeous girl :heart::

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Ohmygosh, she's so cute. I can't comment, my old piggies weren't abby's.
But, just wondering, what's she eating? :)
and what type of corn do you give them? Is it raw corn on the cob? Like a whole one?
or baby corns?

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Ohmygosh, she's so cute. I can't comment, my old piggies weren't abby's.
But, just wondering, what's she eating? :)
and what type of corn do you give them? Is it raw corn on the cob? Like a whole one?
or baby corns?

Thank you, she is a beauty!

That is coriander, my girls LOVE coriander and you can give it to them almost daily (in US is called cilantro). I think they can eat any type of corn but Dahlia likes the baby corn. I only give them one baby corn every 3 days or so. But I cut it in smaller pieces and place with other veggies. Dahlia scoops it all really quickly.

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@MrsSuzy: She is so cute!!
Ooooh I didn't know that was coriander....cilantro. It's in my books but I ignored is because
I just assumed we didn't have it haha. But of course we do.
Thank you :)

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
@MrsSuzy : She is so cute!!
Ooooh I didn't know that was coriander....cilantro. It's in my books but I ignored is because
I just assumed we didn't have it haha. But of course we do.
Thank you :)

Ahahahah, It took me AGES to find out what cilantro was :) and it annoyed me because I kept reading that it was a great food to give almost every day and I wanted some, but like you thought it was something we didn't have.

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
ahaha well I'm glad it wasn't just me ;)
I will put it on my list!

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
She's beautiful! I know a lot of people say their abyssinian guinea pigs are mischevious, but I have never really had a pure abby to find out for myself, but I know my piggie Mitzi is just so crazy, naughty and adventurous - maybe an aby in disguise... :D

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Oh, my little abby-mix certainly has personality. I think the funniest thing she does is brrrrr when she's picked up or pet in a way in which she does not approve. She is this teeny, tiny little thing, but she has NO problem telling it like it is.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I can most definitely confirm Abby-tude, as my Amy is full of it. Nothing phases her at all. She came from a chaotic household before I got her, so she's used to any kind of commotion and is always out and about when anyone is near her cage. After all, a proper Cavy Slave should always have veggies in hand, right? She's very sweet during lap time and loves to curl up and take a nap, yet she'll also give you a chomp if she's feeling cranky. Our American shorthair, Quinn, had been a kid's pig and was very flighty and shy when we got her, but thankfully she had Amy as a mentor and some of the Abby-tube rubbed off.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
Hmm I don't know about abby-tude, but i will soon! I'm getting an abby on Thursday! :D

mufasa

Cavy Gazer

ellisa

Cavy Slave
My little Penny is also full of abbytude. She's a short little thing, but she certainly bosses Sheldon around. She's a wild child, and is often suckering someone into bringing her some veg. Penny is also very dramatic, she'll run around like a hyper hypo and then once I start petting her she'll flop over and pass out. It's very easy to get her going into silly mode, just like a little puppy. Penny's also very smart and mischievous. She's my baby nut. :heart:

063.jpg

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
Hustle has a HUGE Abby-tude!! She is the loudest, hogs the veggies, pees in the food, sprayed my fiance in the face, steps on her babies, the center of attention, and is an over all diva.
But that's exactly why I love her so much :D

Flo is the opposite and she is a short hair. Quiet, mellow, sweet. Complete opposites, lol.

piggers.jpg

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I think it's funny because I haven't had that experience. My Hamster (purebred Abby as far as I know) is very sweet and lets me pick her up, pet her without giving me an attitude. She meets me at the cage bars for food and is ok with me petting her little nose. She squeaks at dinner time but isn't overly demanding.
Her sister Pork Chop (American Short Hair I think) is another story lol she SCREAMS at me and demands veggies when it's dinner time. She doesn't like being picked up or petted and bit me when I was doing her nails.....not hard, but it was enough for me. She will push my hand out of the way when I try to pet her nose and is always trying to hump her sister. SHE is a diva, albeit a cute one :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Penny is also very dramatic, she'll run around like a hyper hypo and then once I start petting her she'll flop over and pass out. It's very easy to get her going into silly mode, just like a little puppy. Penny's also very smart and mischievous. She's my baby nut. :heart:

Ah yes, how could I forget about the drama queen tendency? Amy loves to scream like you're slaughtering her when you just pick her up to carry her to her playpen. She knows what's going on, and she'll sit there and let me catch her in her cage without running, but she hollers bloody murder the whole time. Ironically, since she can be a biter when she's in the mood, I warned the vet when I had her nails clipped. Leave it to Amy to sit in the vet tech's hands like a little angel while the doctor did the trim. The tech said, "I was prepared for a fight!" while I'm sure Amy snickered to herself at making me look like a liar. Just another day in Life With an Abby.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
I just recently got an Abby but haven't seen much "abby-tude" yet. For the most part, my American short haired (Tigger) does all of the biting and peeing on people, wheeks for dinner, and struggles during nail clipping time. My Abyssinian (Addy) lets me pick her up and is the absolute opposite of Tigger. lol

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I just recently got an Abby but haven't seen much "abby-tude" yet. For the most part, my American short haired (Tigger) does all of the biting and peeing on people, wheeks for dinner, and struggles during nail clipping time. My Abyssinian (Addy) lets me pick her up and is the absolute opposite of Tigger. lol

Glad I'm not the only one with this experience! lol

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
I have 3 abby boys! Koeller(cream) is the lowest on the totem pole, but any time he hears someone up and around he wheeks SO LOUD I can hear him OUTSIDE. I've never heard a pig with such a set of lungs. And when I bring their veggies he has to fly onto the plate from about a foot away and eats his veggies ON the plate. Klyde(brown), the dominant one, rumblestruts all the time and is a real turd to catch. He steals veggies and hoards and eats them in the grid tunnel or their pigloo. Kipp(black) has the least abby tude and like kisses, sleeps in the middle of the cage and it takes a lot of noise to wake him up, but try to make him do something he doesn't want and the tude really comes out. I have to syringe him vitamin C every day as he won't eat veggies yet and can't have pellets and he protests like no other. He grunts like a hog, pushes my hand away, pushes me with his front feet, etc. I've never owned anything but abbies so I'm not sure about the temperament of other types, but abbies are definitely entertaining that's for sure!
IMAG1259.jpg

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Oh, my little abby-mix certainly has personality. I think the funniest thing she does is brrrrr when she's picked up or pet in a way in which she does not approve. She is this teeny, tiny little thing, but she has NO problem telling it like it is.

Oh yes, Dahlia does that as well!!

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
@ellisa Penny is adorable. She doesn't boss the others around as she's the younger but sometimes stands up to them quite nicely.

[MENTION=26594]juliannimal[/MENTION] That is a GORGEOUS photo!

Interesting to read not all Abbys have this personality trait, I do sometimes wish Dahlia was more gentle but I do love her craziness.

[MENTION=26416]Kermit_Koeller[/MENTION] Oh my...3 Abbys and all boys..your hands are full :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.