Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Pooping & potty training

Naeviah

Cavy Slave
Hello there!

I have about a month and a half year old female piggie. She poops and pees wherever she pleases (in her cage and her playpen). Is there anyway of teaching her how to go to the bathroom in one area? I'd love to get her one of those soft beds to lay on but I feel like she'd have it soiled within 20 minutes. Any help is appreciated!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Nope. Guinea pigs, as you have found out, use the bathroom wherever they are. They do naturally tend to pick one corner as a preference but also will go on laps, in arms, while standing/sitting/walking, etc. The mantra with guinea pigs is "When they gotta go - they go". The truth is, guinea pig ownership is accepting that you will get peed and pood on. And yes, beds will become soiled. You just have to get used to doing "pig laundry".

Naeviah

Cavy Slave
thank you for your reply! i was reading other forums and it *seemed* as if they had potty trained their piggies so i wasn't sure if it was actually possible lol

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
8 year slave here and if there was a way, PLEASE tell me LOL. I've tried but no luck. The best and closest thing I have gotten is putting their food in areas with carefresh/shavings as they tend to poop and pee a lot more while refilling their poop tanks. LOL

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
8 year slave here and if there was a way, PLEASE tell me LOL. I've tried but no luck. The best and closest thing I have gotten is putting their food in areas with carefresh/shavings as they tend to poop and pee a lot more while refilling their poop tanks. LOL

thank you for your reply! i was reading other forums and it *seemed* as if they had potty trained their piggies so i wasn't sure if it was actually possible lol

Nope. Guinea pigs, as you have found out, use the bathroom wherever they are. They do naturally tend to pick one corner as a preference but also will go on laps, in arms, while standing/sitting/walking, etc. The mantra with guinea pigs is "When they gotta go - they go". The truth is, guinea pig ownership is accepting that you will get peed and pood on. And yes, beds will become soiled. You just have to get used to doing "pig laundry".

Hello there!

I have about a month and a half year old female piggie. She poops and pees wherever she pleases (in her cage and her playpen). Is there anyway of teaching her how to go to the bathroom in one area? I'd love to get her one of those soft beds to lay on but I feel like she'd have it soiled within 20 minutes. Any help is appreciated!
When I first got my boys I had gotten them potty trained pretty well. I had a litterbox with lots and lots of hay and the pellets and water near by, they always pooped and wee'd in the box except for in the hides. But after I added another pig everyone got thrown off and I gave up on the whole litter box thing. It can be accomplished, but it can be a bit of a hassle and still most pigs can't be 100% litter trained. But you can always find their favorite places and put a box there for easier clean up :). Hope that helped a little

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.