Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet No clue why she's SOOO SKINNY !!!!!

• Thread starter CrownJewelDanes
  • Start date

CrownJewelDanes

Cavy Slave
I'm new to this forum and to Guinea Pigs so forgive the ignorance lol. But I have a female named Cindy Lou that I bought at a pet store at Christmas as a companion to out older girl Daisy. She seemed a little thin but I figured it was because she was with a lot of others and maybe got muscled out of enough food. She seemed to be doing ok and while she never got to be what I would call solid in weight she was eating and drinking normally from what I've read.

Fast forward to about a week ago. I went to pick Cindy Lou up having not really spent much time with her other than giving food and water and she was all bones !!!!! She eats plenty of food and hay and I have a mineral block she liks on occasionally. The food brand is Kaytee the Fiesta blend, and she gets Timothy hay as well. So not sure if this is a good brand of food or not.

Shes active and eats and drinks well. Her droppings look normal from what I've read. So any ideas or advice would be helpful :)

Rebekah

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Kaytee's Fiesta Blend isn't very good. Which country do you live in? We can recommend other pellets.

She doesn't need a mineral block -- please take it out.

What vegetables are you feeding her? And how many pellets per day does she get? How much hay do they get, and where do you get their hay?

How old is Daisy? (I ask that because younger guinea pigs have different nutritional needs than older ones, and you may have to make some adjustments to accommodate both.)

CrownJewelDanes

Cavy Slave
I'm in the US in Ohio. Mineral block gone no problem. Until now I haven't been giving anything other than the pellet food and hay. I'm still learning and just read that people feed veggies but didn't know if it was more of a treat thing or a requirement so I've been researching that and what veggies are best. But she has a constant supply of pellets and the hay comes in a bag from the pet store. It's also Kaytee Timothy hay with marigolds which she also has a constant supply of.
But sadly Daisy suddenly passed away about 2 weeks ago. She was active and eating normally the day she passed. She went to sleep and never woke up. So at this point it just Cindy Lou by herself but I'm hoping to find her a friend that is similar in age.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Have you tried popping a stuffed toy or even a stuffed sock so she will feel like there's still company to cuddle up 2?
Any clue what might have happened to your older girl? Did you quarantine the new one before you added her?
Sorry for all the questions! I kept thinking of them while I was typing xx

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Also do you weigh your guinea pigs? A rapid loss in weight is a sure sign that something is def wrong. Most people do it about twice a week some less some more.

CrownJewelDanes

Cavy Slave
I thought of putting a small stuffed toy but thought that she wold know the difference and was also afraid that if she chewed it she might swallow the fabric or stuffing.

No idea about the older girl. My 21 yr old son brought her home one day about 6 months ago because she was a gift from his girlfriend. We just assumed she was much older because she was twice the size of Cindy Lou. We kept them apart for about a week and then introduced them. This was back in Dec. Daisy was eating and drinking normally and hadn't lost any weight. She just curled up to go to sleep and never woke up. I just assumes that since everything was normal with her that she must have been older than we thought because like I said no weight loss or change in habits and no change in her stool.

I will say the only thing that was recently new besides a bigger cage was the bedding. I bought the same kind as before which was the fluffy paper type bedding but instead of the plain gray looking stuff I bought the colored stiff. Could the dye in the bedding be the issue ? Also the brand of food I got was different. She was eating Hartz but I bought Kaytee which another poster said wasn't a good brand.

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
I had a pig who was skin and bones,have you tried putting a bowl of wet pellets with her regular pellets? And try ordering critical care for her, personally my Chloe hated if with water, we used a type of juice( i think cranberry juice?.. ill check into that) It was sugar free. And I would start weighing her and keeping track of her weight. As @Rach84 said try adding a stuffed animal or something stuffed so she feels like shes not alone. And with veggies take it slow with her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oxbow Cavy Performance Pellets are much more suitable for a young guinea pig than the Kaytee Fiesta.

Although it will require more money up front, you can order hay online much cheaper than you can buy it by the small bag in a pet store or at Walmart, and it will be much, much fresher. Don't be put off by the shipping costs -- figure out what you're paying per pound and the local store, and then what the cost per pound (hay + shipping) would be. (broken link removed), (broken link removed), (broken link removed) and Oxbow all have bulk hay -- you get the first three directly from the farm, and the Oxbow by special order at a pet or feed store near you.

The cheapest way to find hay is from a local farmer -- a bale should be less than $10, and even if you wind up throwing most of it away because you don't have room to store it, it's still cheaper than a local store. Any kind of long strand grass hay is good -- timothy, blue, orchard, meadow, brome. Avoid alfalfa because it's not a grass hay -- it's a legume, like peas.

She needs up to a cup of veggies at this age, and about a cup or a little more when she's an adult. Staples in her diet should be lettuce (red or green leaf is good) and bell peppers. She particularly needs the peppers for vitamin C. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html for what you can feed and how often.

I agree that a stuffed toy would be good, but she may not pay any attention to it. She needs a friend as soon as you can find one.

CrownJewelDanes

Cavy Slave
Any particular type of hay better than another? I notice on the one site they has 3rd cutting and 4 th etc what's better ?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hay gets from 2-4 cuttings a year, depending on how long the growing season is. Almost all hay fields can be cut twice, some three times or more. Usually, the later the cutting, the softer the hay. I've never heard of a fourth cutting unless it's really way down south, and in my experience, that's usually pretty crappy hay.

I usually feed mine a mixture of second and third cut. I figure second cut is probably better for their teeth because it's harder, but they LOVE third cut. So I mix it.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I have one fairly thin guinea pig, but she's definitely not what I'd call skin and bones. She's just lean even though she eats a lot. I assume it's just because she's very active. Her cage mate (the one closer to her in age) is extremely rotund and is far less active. The fact that you describe her as skin and bones is concerning. Does she get a lot of fruit or sweet veggies? I'd consider a vet visit may be in order to check her for diabetes. I'm not sure what the other possibilities could be. Best wishes and healthy piggy vibes!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.