Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cages Help For 5 Girls

Faiths13

Cavy Slave
We have 5 girls in one large cage (2x7) with a loft. They don't seem to get along all that well and so I'm thinking about how I can make some changes. I was thinking of possibly separating some of them. Maybe a separate cage in another room for 2 of them, or some other way to have more separation between them. I'm not really sure what to do. I thought about extending the cage one or two grids, but I'm not sure it's going to help.

Turkino

Cavy Slave
2x7 foot is only 14 square foot. Seems like it's fairly cramped space for 5 girls. (Depending on the size of the loft of course.)
I'd see what you can do to expand their cage space. For comparisons sake I have a 4x5 foot cage for my 3 girls.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
2x7 foot is only 14 square foot. Seems like it's fairly cramped space for 5 girls. (Depending on the size of the loft of course.)
I'd see what you can do to expand their cage space. For comparisons sake I have a 4x5 foot cage for my 3 girls.

While I agree that a 2x7 may be cramped for five cavies, you may want to check your math. Each grid is 14" square which comes out to around 20 sq. ft. @Faiths, if you have the room to expand, it is said that wider is better than long and narrow. If only I had the luxury of being able to expand my cage!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That should be plenty large for five sows. Are you counting the loft in that space? If not, you may want to move the loft down so they've got a larger space to live/run in. Also, if the loft is only one grid deep, that can cause problems.

But I do agree with [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] that wider is better than long and narrow if you can manage that.

Also, what kind of problems are they having not getting along? If they're not outright attacking each other, I wouldn't worry about it.

And last, how old are they? If one or more is getting on toward middle age, ovarian cysts might be causing some hormonal behavior.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
What type of hideouts do you have in your cage? I have a 2x8 cxc and prefer all tunnels and forests to not take up zoomy space. It also helps keep the peace between my three piggies who tolerate each other lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.