Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting Help! Both my pigs are rumble strutting!

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
I do have a Bed bath and beyond near me.Also a target,Walmart sears and walgreens.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Pig Padeimoium Which place is best?

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Bpatters,What store do you buy grids at?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can order grids to be shipped to a Walmart store for free, if they don't have them in stock. They're about the best place around for grids. Some Bed Bath and Beyonds carry them, and some don't. The one near me only has them in the fall when kids are going back to school.

You'll also need zip ties to hold the cage together -- don't bother with the connectors. They're a pain in the you-know-what to use, and don't really help any. Just get sturdy zip ties, and use a pair of pliers when you're tightening them down.

You can get the coroplast from plastic sign shops, or you can just put down a shower curtain or plastic table cloth, and use cardboard for the sides to keep the litter in. If you're using fleece, you don't even have to do that, although you may get some hay and few poops on the floor. See the Home page of this site for how to make the cage.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Ok. Thank you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wrote a response about the mites, but it looks like I didn't submit it.

There's no way for your vet to tell if they have mites. Mites are invisible to the naked eye, especially when they're burrowed under the skin. Some vets will do skin scrapings for them, but that's terrifically painful for the pig, and is wrong half the time anyway. Likewise, some mites will fluoresce under a black light, but half won't, so that doesn't work either. The general rule is, if the pig is biting or scratching, you treat for mites.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
They do not bite or scratch,but they. do ocasionialy clean them selves.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How did the vet check for mites? Did he take a skin scraping?

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Yes.But it did not hurt them.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Yes.But it did not hurt them.

Then he didn't do a skin scraping. My vet brought my guinea pig in the back to get his skin scrapping(he came to me with mites) and even in the back I could hear his cries. It is VERY painful. There is no way to make it painless for them(without risking their health/well being)

But like @bpatters said. There is a 50/50 chance that mites will be seen through skin scrapings or a black light. I honestly would treat them. And if they improve, then they had skin mites. Whistles didn't have the classic V line on him. But he without a doubt had skin mites. his was pretty advanced too. He was actually having seizures while scratching.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
double posting

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Well,then I guess he did look at their skin,but while i was their I had to go into the waiting room.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I'd just treat them for mites and get them a much much bigger cage if I were you. Also, is your vet an exotics vet?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Please get you're vet to do a skin scraping, to check for mites. As I had a feeling one of my girl mice had mites but the vet thought it was just scratches from the other girls. I asked the vet to do a skin scraping and they found mites.

Edited by bpatters: Do NOT recommend a skin scraping. They're painful to the pig, and they're only accurate half the time if the pig has mites-- no better than a guess. The other half the time, the pig has mites, but the test misses finding them, so the pig doesn't get any treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles I would suggest for the OP not to get a skin scraping. Reason being it will be SUPER painful and shocking for a pig, when you could just treat them which would not hurt at all. And as said before it's only about correct about half the time, so even if it says they don't have mites, they may still have them.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Well,I guess we won't get a skin scraping.How do you treat it?

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
TThank you.I will talk to my mom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.