Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Need help with strong piggie smell!

MamaGuinea

Cavy Slave
We've had our 3 female piggies for about a month. Their cage has been expanding since we got them - they are now in a 2x7 C&C cage. So I changed their bedding today in the whole entire cage, and they smelled fresh until the afternoon. But by the evening, the whole family room (where the cage is located) smelled like...piggy. It's not pea/poop, it's just the musky but strong smell of piggy "B.O." I wouldn't mind it, but my husband has a VERY sensitive nose to animal smells, and he is hating it. Not sure what to do? I put aspen bedding...did not use any Carefresh this time, as I am trying to "wean off" it - for a big cage like ours, it would be too pricey for the long term. I might sprinkle some Carefresh in the cage tomorrow, hopefully that will help a bit. Any advice would be much appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Turn them all over and compare their private parts. It sounds very much like you may have at least one male. They're notorious for boar "stank," while sows rarely have any odor at all. If you aren't sure about the sexes, see https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

The other possibility is that one or more may have a urinary tract infection, but that doesn't usually have a musky odor.

MamaGuinea

Cavy Slave
They are three females. Well, the two older ones are definitely females. The third is a baby from a pet store, sold as a female. I should probably double check that tomorrow.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking the same thing as [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]. I have never had sows but I have read (and experienced) that a rank stank is attributed to boars. A coworker of mine actually had a similar complaint about her sows, and surprise, one of them was actually a boar. Petstores are notorious for misgendering!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the third one is a male, separate him immediately. He's way past the age when he can impregnate the females, and probably already has.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.