Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Diarrhea after eating placenta

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Yesterday a pig I am fostering gave birth to three adorable babies:
Snickers' Babies.jpeg

Because Pearl had just recently had a litter, I decided to introduce Snickers (the foster) to Pearl and her daughter a few weeks ago, thinking that Pearl could help out with the babies. Well, I went to check the pigs yesterday afternoon, and Snickers had just given birth to the third baby. The placenta was still attached via the umbilical cord. Sure enough, each sow had a baby cleaning it (it was actually adorable seeing the other two help out like that). Pearl's daughter (who remains nameless because I'm still hoping to rehome her and I didn't want to get too attached) ate part of the placenta from the third baby. Now today she has diarrhea. She's still eating, but I am monitoring her closely to make sure she doesn't get worse. Could eating the placenta from another pig have caused a digestive upset?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pups!

I don't think eating the placenta would cause that, but will do some research to see if I can find out.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
She seems better this morning. Her bottom was dry and she wasn't puffed up like she was last night.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I got home from work today and baby girl had a dirty butt again. I gave her a butt bath and dried her and she's eating with the others. In the past few weeks, I have had about 4 pigs have soft poops. The only thing I changed around that time was hay. The Timothy hay was making me sneeze so I ordered Orchard grass this last time. I ordered a new box of Timothy last night. That's the only thing I can think of. Baby girl had not been having that problem so I thought maybe eating the placenta didn't agree with her. I appreciate your input and all the research you do @bpatters. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.