Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss my 5 year old sow is experiencing weight loss!! :(

Kieri

Cavy Slave
hi hello! i haven't posted on here in FOREVER.

anyway, elliot has lost weight. she's 5 years old. aside from the weight loss, everything is fine. she enthusiastically eats, she's vocal, she's drinking normally, she loves floor time, her poop is normal, her chest sounds clear, there's no drool around her mouth, her front teeth look fine, etc. the only issue is her weight. she used to be fairly plump compared to my other pig. now she's smaller and significantly lighter.

i upped her food intake and added more veggies and hay to their diet. there hasn't been any change in her weight from what i can tell and it's been about a week and a half to two weeks since i upped the intake.

my pigs don't go outside, so i don't think it is a parasite. they also aren't around other pigs, so i don't think she's contracted anything. elliot is also the dominant one, so she isn't being bullied away from the food.

i'm calling around to some vets on monday, but i wanna know if anyone else has experienced this? i've googled around and everyone says it's a huge red flag. i'm suspecting molar issues and i'm hoping i won't cost an arm and a leg to grind them down.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Only because you said you upped the hay in their diet .... they need to have unlimited amounts of hay at all times. Hay should be 80% of their diets.

Weight loss is usually a sign of illness. I would take her to the vet asap. GPs are prey animals so they hide illness very very well. Often by the time they seem sick it is too late.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
A vet check is definitely necessary as it could be any number of different things. Hopefully your vet can get a good look at her molars to see if that is the cause.

I have a 5 year old sow who in November started having significant weight-loss. Like you explain with your pig, everything seemed normal to me, Gretchen was her lively spirited self and she seemed to be eating. Long story short, it turns out her very back bottom molars were growing and trapping her tongue. She will need her teeth trimmed for the rest of her life. Financially I was concerned, at the beginning it was very costly because I opted to do some diagnostic work to see if there was an underlying issue. We did mouth/jaw X-rays, a full blood work up and a urinalysis, I also had a chest X-ray done to check for heart enlargement. Everything came back perfectly normal so there isn't a cause for her teeth troubles, it just happens. Vet prices vary a ton but I for Gretchen I'm now paying about $160 per teeth trim and she needs them every 8 weeks. Obviously it isn't super cheap but I don't feel it's outrageously priced either.

Good luck with your girl and keep us updated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much has she lost? And has she stabilized at a steady weight yet?

If the weight loss is significant, you do need to investigate the reason for it. But be patient about trying to put the weigh back on her. Adult guinea pigs gain very slowly, and senior pigs more slowly still. You might want to give her a vitamin C supplement -- that helped one of my seniors with an unexplained weight loss.

Kieri

Cavy Slave
@PiggyGrandma15 they have had unlimited hay all of their lives. i meant that i added MORE to the cage, hoping it would entice her to eat more than she already does.

@sallyvh yikes :( hopefully i can find a vet who won't charge me so much. i once lived in texas and i had an AMAZING vet to go to. i moved back home and i can't find any ANYWHERE. they're all awful around here. my friend owned a few boars and every time she took one of them to a vet around here, they'd just get worse. she tried different people and all they did was charge her TONS but never really helped her or her pigs. i'm super nervous about it, bc i worry i'll have the same luck as my friend. my pigs are very important to me and i don't have patience for quack vets who only want to charge for unnecessary medication or tests.

@bpatters it's very significant. :( she was once plump. now her chin fat is gone and she's light. i can't feel her shoulder or spine, but her hip bones can be felt.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need a scale. You can get a kitchen scale at Target or Walmart for less than $15. And it's a good practice to weigh your pigs weekly so that you can notice any weight loss as soon as it starts happening.

Where are you? City/state, not your actual address. We may be able to help you find a vet.

Kieri

Cavy Slave
@bpatters okay! i'm going grocery shopping tomorrow. i'll look for a scale and let you guys know how much both of my pigs weigh.

i live in carlisle, pa.

Kieri

Cavy Slave
update: elliot is gaining weight, and quickly! shes filling out quite nicely.

the vet didnt find anything wrong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.