Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just wanted to say "hello"

Kendra Bevill

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I am an owner of a black and white Peruvian Piggy. His name is Tiggy.
I was wondering since he has long hair; how often should a bathe him?
:love:

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. I also have a long hair piggy and I bathe her when she starts to get smelly, which is usually every 3 months. With a male, you may have to bathe him more often because of his anal gland. It will also depend on what type of bedding you use and how clean the cage is kept. Piggies like to lay down where they potty so they can get smelly. I have found that keeping Bella's bum hair short helps keep her cleaner for longer. There is lots of information on bathing, cleaning the anal gland and so on through out the forum. Welcome and we'd love to see Pigtures when you get a chance. :D

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Only when needed, I bathe my peruvian girl about three times a year.
What you do need to do on a very regular basis is to trim his fur, especially around his bum to prevent matting & him getting dirty/urine scald.

I highly recommend (broken link removed) shampoo over any horrible pet store brand. The "Posh'n'Go" shampoo is specifically made for peruvians.
You need a very gentle shampoo for cavies without harsh SLS/SLES, perfume, silicones & paraffin, ph balanced & without harmful chemicals. Preferably with a natural moisturizing agent.
Also make sure he's completely dry before putting him back in the cage. If you use a blowdryer, be very careful & use it on low heat.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Hi!

Welcome to the forum! Bathe them as much as they need it really - i normally use a max of once a fortnight if totally necessary (which is rare). Use any baby shampoo or soap free shampoo for sensitive skin works great too.
Wetting his hair before applying the shampoo works the best as that allows the soap to soak through easier without you having to ruffle his fur too much.

(owner of 7 proud pigs; 3 babygirls; 2 messy boars and 2 ladypigs including a lovely longish haired-crested lady)

Welcome to the forum. I also have a long hair piggy and I bathe her when she starts to get smelly, which is usually every 3 months. With a male, you may have to bathe him more often because of his anal gland. It will also depend on what type of bedding you use and how clean the cage is kept. Piggies like to lay down where they potty so they can get smelly. I have found that keeping Bella's bum hair short helps keep her cleaner for longer. There is lots of information on bathing, cleaning the anal gland and so on through out the forum. Welcome and we'd love to see Pigtures when you get a chance. :D

I see what you did there....pigtures!!! *fistbump*

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Only when needed, I bathe my peruvian girl about three times a year.
What you do need to do o a very regular basis is to trim his fur, especially around his bum to prevent matting & him getting dirty/urine scald.

I highly recommend (broken link removed) shampoo over any horrible pet store brand. The "Posh'n'Go" shampoo is specifically made for peruvians.
You need a very gentle shampoo for cavies without harsh SLS/SLES, perfume, silicones & paraffin, ph balanced & without harmful chemicals. Preferably with a natural moisturizing agent.
Also make sure he's completely dry before putting him back in the cage. If you use a blowdryer, be very careful & use it on low heat.

Gorgeous guineas mixtures are great and pet store shampoos are evil..... Soap free shampoo/body wash for humans i've found to be perfect, or baby shampoo works great too! No more tears!:heart:

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Gorgeous guineas mixtures are great and pet store shampoos are evil..... Soap free shampoo/body wash for humans i've found to be perfect, or baby shampoo works great too! No more tears!:heart:

I wouldn't use baby shampoo though.
The reason it's less irritating to the eyes is a higher ph level. The scalp/skin mantle is naturally on the lower side, and when this is disturbed it can cause issues like dandruff & other conditions.
Hence why baby shampoo usually isn't gentle to adults or animals at all unfortunately, and baby products often contain clogging paraffin for some reason.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use baby shampoo though.
The reason it's less irritating to the eyes is a higher ph level. The scalp/skin mantle is naturally on the lower side, and when this is disturbed it can cause issues like dandruff & other conditions.
Hence why baby shampoo usually isn't gentle to adults or animals at all unfortunately, and baby products often contain clogging paraffin for some reason.

Sorry, but i disagree with this statement.... :p Perhaps that's the case in Sweden?
I've been using it for years with no problems at all.....and the piggies love the smell lol

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Sorry, but i disagree with this statement.... :p Perhaps that's the case in Sweden?
I've been using it for years with no problems at all.....and the piggies love the smell lol

What do you disagree with?
Saying that you've been doing something for "years & have had no problems" does not make it less of an issue, or less of a fact.
The skin & scalp thrives with a lower ph. A Ph level of 7 is then considered neutral, and baby shampoos have a ph of at least 7.5 which is considered alkaline, to reduce eye irritation.
This is NOT gentle to the hair or skin. Hair is acidic.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
What do you disagree with?
Saying that you've been doing something for "years & have had no problems" does not make it less of an issue, or less of a fact.
The skin & scalp thrives with a lower ph. A Ph level of 7 is then considered neutral, and baby shampoos have a ph of at least 7.5 which is considered alkaline, to reduce eye irritation.
This is NOT gentle to the hair or skin. Hair is acidic.

It's less of an issue, because it's never been an issue for me and i'm fairly confident it never will be. If the PH levels are bothersome for you, then it's no wonder you don't wanna use it.
Same for OP, just sharing experiences - No issue :D

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Your whole body & health is dependent on a good ph level. Why would you knowingly use an unsuitable product on your animals?
Baby shampoo is not made for guinea pigs. It's also not tested when it comes to guinea pigs grooming themselves.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Hi!

Your profile picture looks awesome, but i can't seem to view it any bigger. Try to upload it to the gallery so we can admire :)

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
[h=2]Just some useful information I found on baby shampoo. Sorry about the huge letters, I blame copy and paste. >.<

JOHNSON'S® NATURAL® Baby Shampoo[/h]All reviews submitted on this site are subject to our (broken link removed).
Overall rating

5 out of 5

Rating breakdown 1 review
5 Stars

4 Stars

3 Stars

2 Stars

1 Star

11100%of customers would recommend this product
(1 review)
Write a review

Combines 98% naturally derived ingredients and over 100 years of trusted baby care knowledge to gently cleanse hair to leave it smelling fresh and feeling soft. Simply made to our BEST FOR BABY NATURALS™ Standard, this NO MORE TEARS® formula baby shampoo is as gentle to the eyes as pure water and contains our ALLERFREE™ fragrance.

• ALWAYS MILD & GENTLE™
  • Paraben Free
  • Dye Free
  • No Irritating Essential Oils
  • Allergy Tested
  • Dermatologist Tested
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Naturally Low Foaming
[h=2]Ingredients[/h] Naturally Derived Ingredients (98%) Synthetic Ingredients (2%)

• [h=5]Ingredient[/h]
  • Water
  • Decyl Glucoside
  • Cocoglycerides
  • Sodium Coco-Sulfate
  • Coco-Glucoside
  • Glyceryl Oleate
  • Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate
  • Glycerin
  • Xanthan Gum
  • Sodium Benzoate
  • Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose
  • Fragrance
  • Citric Acid
  • Sodium Hydroxide

• [h=5]Where it comes from[/h]
  • Water
  • Vegetable Oil/Sugar
  • Oils
  • Coconut Oil
  • Coconut Oil and Sunflower Oil
  • Coconut Oil and Sunflower Oil
  • Coconut Oil/Glycerin
  • Vegetable
  • Soy Flour & Corn Syrup
  • Synthetic
  • Plant, Mineral, Water
  • Plant
  • Synthetic
  • Synthetic

• [h=5]Purpose[/h]
  • Product base
  • Mild cleanser
  • Mild cleanser
  • Mild cleanser
  • Mild cleanser, lipids to help protect skin from dryness
  • Mild cleanser, lipids to help protect skin from dryness
  • Mild cleanser
  • Helps absorb water from the air, helps retain moisture
  • Helps maintain product thickness
  • Helps maintain product freshness
  • Helps maintain product thickness
  • Provides a light fragrance
  • Helps adjust pH levels
  • Helps adjust pH levels
shampoo has a ph of 5.5

Baby shampoo is slightly basic (alkaline).
It is not a powerful cleaner - baby's hair doesn't get that oily.

Harmless and leaves very little residue to none if rinsed properly.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
A higher ph level can cause issues like dandruff, eczema & a higher risk of fungal problems. It also opens the hair cuticle which is bad for hair health (Especially for people who dye their hair).
Cocamidopropyl betaine or coco-betaine is often used as a gentle detergent in cleansers like baby shampoos. It's often impure & toxic. A known skin, eye & lung irritant & can cause skin allergies.
It's also suspected to be harmful to the environment. Found in baby shampoos such as Johnson's.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
The only ingredient with Coc- in it is is Coco-Glucoside
which comes from the coconut oil they use in the shampoo. I don't see Betaine or Cocamidopropyl, but I am only looking at their 98% natural shampoo for babies directly from their website.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
The only ingredient with Coc- in it is is Coco-Glucoside
which comes from the coconut oil they use in the shampoo. I don't see Betaine or Cocamidopropyl, but I am only looking at their 98% natural shampoo for babies directly from their website.

Hopefully they've changed it now. I think it was in the media a while back as well.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
Oh and @HannibalLector, not sure where you got the PH level of 7 from, the natural baby shampoo has a 5.5. So your number is slightly inflated. Just thought you should now. :D

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
Yea it's posted on their website that they have about 1000 formula patents so it changes daily with new information. They probably have changed it since that article you read was published. :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Oh and @HannibalLector, not sure where you got the PH level of 7 from, the natural baby shampoo has a 5.5. So your number is slightly inflated. Just thought you should now. :D

I was not specifically talking about Johnson's, but most baby shampoos & "No tears" shampoos for children such as Breck for example.
The skin thrives with a ph of around 4.5

I hope a mod can move some of this discussion to a separate thread so the OP can have the tread back.

VillyAnn143

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm new on this forum and I was wandering if you can tell me how you uploaded your profile picture? Thanks a lot =)

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
A higher ph level can cause issues like dandruff, eczema & a higher risk of fungal problems. It also opens the hair cuticle which is bad for hair health (Especially for people who dye their hair).
Cocamidopropyl betaine or coco-betaine is often used as a gentle detergent in cleansers like baby shampoos. It's often impure & toxic. A known skin, eye & lung irritant & can cause skin allergies.
It's also suspected to be harmful to the environment. Found in baby shampoos such as Johnson's.

My husband got pepper spray blown back on him at work one night. Anyone who knows anything about pepper spray knows that it once it gets on you it STAYS on you. It's a booger to get off, and you're miserable until its off. You know what they gave him? Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo. They said anything else would just smear the pepper oils around his skin, but that stuff would take it right off his skin and hair, and it did. lol. I don't know what's in it, but it isn't something I'd want to use on my kids or pets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.