Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding climbing

Samantha Prunty

Cavy Slave
Hi
This is gonna be really short. My both my boys like to climb up on me and be on my shoulder or under neck. neither one will sit in my lap for five to ten minutes.
Is this normal behavior?

They will also climb on other people if they know them pretty well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Totally normal.

Just don't let them do that if you're standing, or sitting somewhere that they can jump or fall. Their eyes are in the sides of their heads, and they have no depth perception at all. They can't tell the difference between a three inch jump and a three foot jump.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Charlotte does this all the time. It's adorable until she decides that biting my neck like a vampire is more fun.

Malynda Teeter

Cavy Slave
Both of my females will run/jump/velcro up my shirt and won't sit in my lap. I created this chaos by holding them under my chin when they were little. They are unaware that they are almost a lb. each and it's kind of traumatic for both of us. So, as a solution I lay down on my side and place them with a fleece. This way they can be safe. I place them under my chin/neck for a few steps back to the cage, and put them away bottom first. That way they don't jump for the cage. As for the biting, my girls do that when they want to go back to their cage, but I have not ever actually been bitten. They do how ever nibble my shirt. I have always respected this as their signal to return to their cage. Is there a chance they are trying to tell you they want to return to their cage before the vampire situation? Sometimes my girls kind of put their head low and narrow their face before they nibble to return to the cage. I have 2 baby females and am working with them so I don't create the situation all over again.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Both of my females will run/jump/velcro up my shirt and won't sit in my lap. I created this chaos by holding them under my chin when they were little. They are unaware that they are almost a lb. each and it's kind of traumatic for both of us. So, as a solution I lay down on my side and place them with a fleece. This way they can be safe. I place them under my chin/neck for a few steps back to the cage, and put them away bottom first. That way they don't jump for the cage. As for the biting, my girls do that when they want to go back to their cage, but I have not ever actually been bitten. They do how ever nibble my shirt. I have always respected this as their signal to return to their cage. Is there a chance they are trying to tell you they want to return to their cage before the vampire situation? Sometimes my girls kind of put their head low and narrow their face before they nibble to return to the cage. I have 2 baby females and am working with them so I don't create the situation all over again.

Haha, yes, typically she does that when she wants to go back. But sometimes she's just trying to be a nuisance and will do it the second I sit down with her. I just find it funny, the other two girls don't do that. She doesn't usually bite hard, but she has a couple times. I've been left with a rather unsightly mark for a week before. Those hurt. If she does bite hard like that she gets a boop on the nose and gets put back in my lap. Naughty critter. :p

Malynda Teeter

Cavy Slave
Haha, yes, typically she does that when she wants to go back. But sometimes she's just trying to be a nuisance and will do it the second I sit down with her. I just find it funny, the other two girls don't do that. She doesn't usually bite hard, but she has a couple times. I've been left with a rather unsightly mark for a week before. Those hurt. If she does bite hard like that she gets a boop on the nose and gets put back in my lap. Naughty critter. :p
Do you give her treats and floor time, plenty of hideys? I have had to do a lot of trial and error to find out what my girls like. Hence "Cavy Slave".
I am not trying to be judgmental or hurtful, I know you want to be the very best piggie mom you can. I am concerned about the "boop on the nose." Piggies noses are very sensitive and they likely won't understand why they are having "a boop" on the nose, and perceive it as aggressive behavior.That could actually perpetuate the behavior you are wanting to stop.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Do you give her treats and floor time, plenty of hideys? I have had to do a lot of trial and error to find out what my girls like. Hence "Cavy Slave".
I am not trying to be judgmental or hurtful, I know you want to be the very best piggie mom you can. I am concerned about the "boop on the nose." Piggies noses are very sensitive and they likely won't understand why they are having "a boop" on the nose, and perceive it as aggressive behavior.That could actually perpetuate the behavior you are wanting to stop.

Oh yes, trust me, they get quite the variety of veggie treats, and lots of hideys. Floor time isnt quite a lot right now since i work all day, but their cage is plenty huge and i take them out one at a time every night for cuddling and bonding. I let them run around my room sometimes too. They are very happy, spoiled rotten pigs.

When i say boop on the nose, thats very rare. Ive done it maybe twice, only because she bit me hard. And its no more than a tap. Ive noticed the biting has turned into more light nibbling lately. I try to keep her in my lap where shes not as apt to bite. Shes just got spunk, and shes the top pig of the three so its as if shes trying to let me know that too, hahaha. Otherwise shes very well behaved and loves to flop on my chest on or on my bed next to me and doze.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.