Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Not mites, not lice, not ringworm... so what is it?

piggyyour

Cavy Gazer
I brought my two piggies to the vet because they wouldn't stop scratching. They checked and they had no ringworm, lice, mites, fleas etc. So what might it be? Could it be baking powder I used under the absorbent layer? Maybe the detergent I used to wash fleece? They even suggested I just try revolution to see if it goes away. (I did, and it didn't work)

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
I brought my two piggies to the vet because they wouldn't stop scratching. They check and they had no ringworm, lice, mites, fleas etc. So what might it be? Could it be baking powder I used under the absorbent layer? Maybe the detergent I used to wash fleece?
Have you tried going to the vet?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

piggyyour

Cavy Gazer
Yes, they checked and there was no sign of anything.

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
Yes, they checked and there was no sign of anything.
Have they been outside recently? Have you tried bathing them in shampoo for small animals?

piggyyour

Cavy Gazer
They haven't been outside except for the time when I first picked them up. I did try giving them a bath already.

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
They haven't been outside except for the time when I first picked them up. I did try giving them a bath already.
Then I'm not sure, sorry!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Can you see anything moving in their fur? Any "walking dandruff"? How frequently are they itching? Are they showing any other signs of parasites, dandruff, scabs, excessive hair loss? How many treatments of Revolution did you do, how far did you space out the treatments, what is the strength/type of Revolution and how much did you give to each pig?

piggyyour

Cavy Gazer
I don't see any walking dandruff or walking anything at all. No scabs, or bugs. They scratch every 10 minutes, like how a dog would if he had a parasite. They scratch and nibble themselves to the point of if they didn't have long fur, they would probably hurt themselves. I did a 2 treatment within 2 weeks. The dose I believe was maybe 15mg? It was for puppies and kittens below 5 pounds.

Lilythepig2017

Cavy Slave
Have they eaten anything odd? Washed their fleeces in anything new? If so allergies possibly.
Any new supplements? could be metabolic? Like liver?? I know in humans with liver issues it can cause intense itching but in both would be odd unless they both ate something new. Its odd

Soecara

Cavy Slave
How were they checked for mites/ringworm etc.? Does their skin look normal? do they have any dandruff or flakey skin?

lissie

Cavy Slave
The original post was in August. I think the pigs should be fine by now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.