Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Blue and bloody eyeball?

• Thread starter Simpsonspiggie8
  • Start date

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Hi, one of my guinea pigs was fine yesterday but today her eyeball looks blue and bloody. I don't know what to do for her since thw vet is closed today since it's Sunday. I looked and I couldn't find any pieces of hay in here eyeball but I am very concerned. She doesn't seem to be acting painful but having an eyeball like that can't be fun. I don't think it is contageous but what do you guys think? I have 3 other guinea pigs so if it's contageous that will create a huge problem any suggestions on how to handle this will be helpful thanks! IMG_1118.jpg

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
Try to find a vet emergency place

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
And yes quarantine , just to be safe

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
It's probably a hay poke. Try to get her to the vet as soon as possible, because eye injuries are very painful. Any vet can treat an eye, it doesn't necessarily have to be an exotic vet. And don't bother with quarantine. Even if it were something contagious, your other pigs have already been exposed to it, making quarantine pointless.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Jadyn, please do not give medical advice. There are many people on the forum with many years of experience with guinea pigs and rescues, and they are qualified to offer medical assistance.

@Simpsonspiggie8, I agree that it's probably a hay poke. They're painful, and the eyeball can become infected, but they're not contagious. If you've got an exotic vet close, I'd take her in tomorrow.

But if you don't have an exotic vet, eyes are the one thing about guinea pigs that almost any vet can treat. The main thing you have to be careful of is that a non-exotic vet doesn't give an antibiotic that a pig can't tolerate. Here's a list of dangerous antibiotics: https://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html. Some of them can be used as an eye ointment with no danger, but you have to apply them sparingly with a q-tip.

msorensen02

Cavy Gazer
I'm not trying to hijack this thread. But one of our girls has a similar issue with a white spot(maybe the injury site) in the middle of the blue and red. We have been on antibiotics for 7 days, 3 to go. And pain med for 5 of those. She is eating, and drinking, behaving fine. But her eye is redder, the white spot is bigger and I don't think its getting better. We take her back to the vet in a day and I am trying to be prepared. I feel like she may lose the eye. If so, how does that work? DO they take it? Do they just lose it? And will she be ok?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The loss of an eye doesn't usually bother a guinea pig, and it's not a bad surgery to recover from.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.