Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Rights Dyeing animals for decoration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would like to bring up an important point, the dyeing of fish. This is a barbaric practice which often involves chemical baths or needles, these fish have a very high mortality rate and the colour often fades within a matter of months. There is little doubt that any method of changing the colours of a fish is misleading to customers and all methods, except feeding natural colour enhancing foods, are extremely cruel to the fish.

https://www.aquaticcommunity.com/responsible/paintedfish.php
(broken link removed)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would like to bring up an important point, the dyeing of fish. This is a barbaric practice which often involves chemical baths or needles, these fish have a very high mortality rate and the colour often fades within a matter of months. There is little doubt that any method of changing the colours of a fish is misleading to customers and all methods, except feeding natural colour enhancing foods, are extremely cruel to the fish.

(broken link removed)

Of course. Sounds awful. Let's not get hung up on semantics. That's completely wrong.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have another question I love crabs and living on the eastern shore everyone eats them. But it's kinda sad that you have to steam them alive. So would you consider that cruel?

Of course. Don't you?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Honestly I've never really thought about it that way. I mean at least they don't die like chickens or other animals. But yes I could see that as cruel. But if you would kill them first you couldn't eat them.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
As I was standing in line this groomer was spiking the dog's fur and DYING it. Made me want to scream. If you, as a human, want to dye your hair like you're a rainbow, fine, do what you must, but dying that animal is CRUEL. Unless they started talking somehow and told you "HEY I WANNA BE TEN DIFFERENT COLORS AND HAVE SOMEONE SCREW UP MY FUR" then okay, but that's not happening any time soon. People who actually do such things don't deserve to have animals. *face turns red in fury*

What about shaving a dog for the summer? The dog didn't stand up and ask that be done to him. Do you get angry when you see a Shitzu with a puppy cut? A poodle with pom-poms? My sheltie Rudy has had everything from a flat out shave to a mohawk to a lion clip. He gets a bath and groom every month consisting of (at the very least) feet trimming, bum trimming, belly trimming and a brush out. If I asked him he would probably say he would rather not have any of it done.

My view is if someone loves their dog enough to dye it's hair than that dog's life must not be all that bad.

My mother just rescued a sheltie cross that is emaciated and was abused. He was found running along side a highway at 10 years old, covered in burs, mats, fleas, ticks, open wounds, hair loss from the infestations, ect. I bet no one took the time in his long life to take him to a groomer let alone get him dyed.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Sorry to bud in on this topic, but I was wondering since we are on the subject of vegans and vegetarians... @CavySpirit have you noticed anything different about going vegan, like having more energy, or being able to focus better or just all around feeling better through-out the day? And is it hard to become a vegan/vegetarian?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry to bud in on this topic, but I was wondering since we are on the subject of vegans and vegetarians... @CavySpirit have you noticed anything different about going vegan, like having more energy, or being able to focus better or just all around feeling better through-out the day? And is it hard to become a vegan/vegetarian?

For me, there are multiple aspects about going through this transition.

- Physical (I've always been very nutritionally self-educated, but this is upping my game on research...)
- Emotional (I've been searching for a therapist who is vegan. I'm having a hard time coping with the new awareness.)
- Spiritual (I still cannot reconcile ANY of my past spiritual beliefs with the astronomical amount of suffering going on.)
- Social (how it affects my friends, family and social relationships)

I got serious about this in March on the Veg Pledge week. I feel SOOOOO MUCH BETTER. I'm a very fit and active 57-year-old woman. I play on multiple USTA teams and I'm a pretty serious social dancer. I'm losing weight and feeling great. I'm 5'8" I started at around 175 and at the moment I'm down to 165. 10 more or so to go. I had some issues in dealing with soy. Was like going through menopause all over again until I realized what was going on. Just had to cut that back, but more importantly, I'm discovering some great mineral supplements that are really amazing. I have this sense that I feel "clean" inside. It's like an airier feeling about your guts. Feels really good. I feel lighter on my feet and healthier.

But, my downside is the emotional part. I'm kind of an empath for animals, I guess, and it's emotionally burdensome. I have to keep the Facebook posts of abuse and such coming and I share them. It's what keeps me motivated and strong. But, it's very painful, too. I'm still trying to work through that pain. But, it's better than knowing and trying to kid myself. I still prefer this.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Doesn't anyone want to answer MY question instead of critizising everyone? I'll post it AGAIN!
Which is the cruel part? Is it harmful? This is a very new concept to me. I've never heard of dyeing a pet before. If the pet licks itself which it probably will then won't the chemicals be harmful? Is that why its cruel? Just curious.
Just to bring the topic back on track:)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Well the method of dyeing certain animals can be cruel, see my post about fish. However I assume @animalmadlover is specifically referring to the dyeing of an animals fur.

Whether or not it is harmful would probably depend on the type of dye used. I imagine that temporary dyes could pose an issue if the animal where to lick it (if it is the type to come off with water alone), but most people who have dyed their own hair can contest to the fact that permanent dyes can cause a burning sensation. I would also imagine there would be a risk of an allergic reaction just as there is in humans when they dye their own hair, and that the time for the dye to soak could stress out an animal if they are not fond of being bathed.

I personally don't think the dyeing of an animals fur it is "cruel" per say but rather completely pointless and quite dumb.

Last edited:

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit

I have nothing against hair cutting for summer to keep the animal from getting too hot. I merely think it just unfair that the animal has its fur dyed, regardless if the chemical is safe. It just isn't natural. I would never dye my own dogs/animals and surely don't see that as a way of expressing your love of your animal (given, we have different ways of expressing it). It just doesn't seem right to me, and though I feel it's FAR better than being abused or slaughtered, it still feels odd. My opinion, I suppose. As for the mohawks and other hair styles, I feel it's okay to gently part your animal's fur (with long hair, anyways) and style it (ponytails, etc. all temporary styles), but I don't see going crazy and spiking the fur and pulling the complete opposite way it naturally flows is okay. Again, just my opinion, and all to their own I suppose, but I myself don't feel like it's right. I suppose just the image of what that dog looked like that day really angered me (the dog looked miserable, I could tell by its facial expression) and the way it was styled was completely over the top and crossed the line. Its fur was pulled a bunch of different ways and dyed a bunch of colors and- basically, it was not a pretty picture.

I merely don't like when animals are changed from their natural beauty just because *the human thinks it looks cool*. Summer cuts, shaving hair away from wounds to bandage them, cutting hair knots, brushing, etc is all completely necessary and should be done, but when people go as far as dying, brushing the wrong way, and so on for absolutely no good reason upsets me. If you love your animal I feel you should think of if they want to be dressed up and make-over-ed, not if you want them to be. I did act a little immature in my first post, so forgive me for that, as I get carried away when I am passionate about such a thing (especially animals).

All in all, I think animals are companions, not fashion dolls and not play things, and therefore shouldn't be dyed.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I completely hear you. The only way I would ever be okay with any "decorating" of an animal would be to dress them up in costumes, which most animals don't like... OR..
Using Manic Panic Semi-permanent vegan hair die. It is the ONLY dye I use on hair, and I know people who die their horses manes for fun and the use manic panic because it only lasts a short while and does NO damage. Thats my take on it.
[MENTION=28349]Starthecavy123[/MENTION] HELL YES. Exactly how would someone justify that NOT being cruel

And toward this debate on vegetarianism: [MENTION=1]CavySpirit[/MENTION] [MENTION=28349]Starthecavy123[/MENTION] [MENTION=30060]pigger123[/MENTION] [MENTION=31098]PiggleLove2013[/MENTION] and anyone else involved with this tread
I understand that as a society we have evolved to being dependent on meat. But it does not mean we can not live without it. For me, going vegetarian was all about the burgers. I cant drive by a burger joint without mentally drooling. But my fix was vegetarian patties. I dont like vegetables, but nowadays there is so much you can do to make a carrot not taste like a carrot, or kale not taste like kale that I can't stand to hear the excuse "Well I just don't like vegetables..." quite frankly ITS BULL.
I can't take people who half-ass animal rights. "I use cruelty free cosmetics!" *five minutes later* "I could really go for a burger right now."

Like what the hell? How can you justify that? Because I sure as hell can't.

Water is a need.
Food is a need.
Shelter is a need.

Meat is a want.
Cravings=want, not need.

If it doesn't click with you that meat is not a NEED. Then you are someone I no longer want to waste my breath on.

I am not picking out anyone in particular, but this is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.
<3

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Well the method of dyeing certain animals can be cruel, see my post about fish. However I assume @animalmadlover is specifically referring to the dyeing of an animals fur.

Whether or not it is harmful would probably depend on the type of dye used. I imagine that temporary dyes could pose an issue if the animal where to lick it (if it is the type to come off with water alone), but most people who have dyed their own hair can contest to the fact that permanent dyes can cause a burning sensation. I would also imagine there would be a risk of an allergic reaction just as there is in humans when they dye their own hair, and that the time for the dye to soak could stress out an animal if they are not fond of being bathed.

I personally don't think the dyeing of an animals fur it is "cruel" per say but rather completely pointless and quite dumb.

Yes, fur, thats what I meant:) Steaming any kind of fish without kindly killing it first is very cruel. I mean, how would you like to be boiled alive! I'm not really enthusiastic about dyeing either. I was just wondering why it was cruel. Our cocker spaniel Hemi really needs to be brushed and clipped because he has a really long coat and he would get too hot with his full coat. But we can't afford a dog hairdressor so I clip him myself. I clicker trained him to accept the clicker though. I tried to take it slowly so that he would get used to it aswell.

I really want to show you this video:) its so funny
[video=youtube;tzAfJoiXgNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzAfJoiXgNE[/video]

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes, fur, thats what I meant:) Steaming any kind of fish without kindly killing it first is very cruel. I mean, how would you like to be boiled alive!

Yes it is extremely cruel to boil a live fish, as is catching it with a hook through it's mouth. However there is also an issue with ornamental fish it is often very shocking how many people have no idea that there is even a practice of dyeing fish then walk out the store with one such fish. If you look at the first post on this page of the thread then you can read the links posted there.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Yes it is extremely cruel to boil a live fish, as is catching it with a hook through it's mouth. However there is also an issue with ornamental fish it is often very shocking how many people have no idea that there is even a practice of dyeing fish then walk out the store with one such fish. If you look at the first post on this page of the thread then you can read the links posted there.

I had a quick read through them:0
Argh! I'm getting more and more horrified by the things that I'm comming across that I didn't know about. Now its personalized fish! I've always wanted to keep fish so when I do I will definitely make sure that I don't get one that is dyed.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What bugs me is people saying "I don't like X, Y, or Z" because it's a proven psychological fact that if you make yourself eat something 10 times, you'll train your brain to like it. I used to be a real "salad dodger", and now I make sure I eat at least one type of veg with my main meals, and my snacks throughout the day are fruits. I even ate some nuts the other day.Not salted, flavoured, or modified at all, just regular nuts, and I'm starting to like those too now, after spending my whole life hating them!

guineapigman

Cavy Slave
As long as the dye is not harmful,as in toxic, to the animal I don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't do it myself but I don't have a problem with people who do it. Costumes are a little different, I don't mind them so much if the animal is not in discomfort because of them but most animal animal costumes are not properly fitted and are very uncomfortable for the animal.

As for the veg*n thing. I am not veg*n and I don't think I ever will be a veg*n. I do do however is I only eat ethically raised and humanely slaughtered meat. I refuse to eat barn raised chicken because I know what the conditions are like, I refuse to eat battery raised eggs because I know how horrible the conditions that the hens are kept in. I only eat meat that I have either raised myself or that I am sure has been raised ethically, like free range chicken and pork. I am lucky with where I live that nearly all beef and all lamb is grass fed in fields for most of their lives, so I know that they have had a good life. With the EU regulations I know that all meat animals are slaughtered humanely. My choices mean that I have had to nearly completely cut out all pork from my diet because there are little to no sources of free range pork where any more. My chicken consumption is greatly dropped because free range chicken is expensive and I can only eat so many. The way I see it, all animals are born and all animals will die, and as long as the animals had a good life while they were alive and were killed quickly I don't have a problem. I don't see any reason why a shorter life isn't a good life. That is it my opinion.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Well I never really thought about it like that because being on the eastern shore its just part of everyone's diet. If you don't eat crabs people give you weird looks. I don't know anyone who is vegan so I don't know if I could stay with it. Although I am not a minor I don't have a job so therefore I don't buy the food I eat. My mom wouldn't mind but my dad and grandma I'm not sure what they would do. When I go and see my dad because he lives with his mother (long story) I have to what she makes. Plus my grandmother isn't a animal person so I doubt she would understand. So if I go over there and I eat meat I'm not sure I could go back. It would just very hard for me to stay on the vegan wagon.

pigger123

Cavy Slave

(broken link removed)

And that's yet another of the many reasons to never ever support pet stores that sell animals. My parents (and a lot of other people) think it's okay to buy stuff from Petsmart as long as you don't buy the actual animal, but that is so untrue. And then there are so many people who think it's also okay to buy the actual animal. I realize that it's not entirely their fault since the pet stores lead people to believe that what they're doing and selling is great, but it makes me so mad. Sorry this doesn't really fit the original topic.

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
Dying animals isn't cruel, dying chicks and bunnies leads to irresponsible ownership that I can guarantee you, just look at any shelter or rescue a month or two after Easter when all these people realize those adorable bunnies and chicks they just bought are getting bigger and in need of vet care, space, time, and can be quite destructive. Then if they're to lazy to take them to the shelter some people will just let them go in the wild. This is all awful yes- but dying animals doesn't hurt them, and pet safe dyes (which all pet salons use) don't contain chemicals harmful to dogs. Many dogs enjoy being groomed and pampered. My Min. Poodle mix loves going to the groomer, she loves the attention she gets, she loves baths, and if I was so inclined (which I'm not) she would enjoy the attention being dyed would give her. I personally don't enjoy dressing her up or decorating her but that's my personal choice. Although she has a million pretty coats, and even a panda outfit which doubles as her heavy duty winter coat.

Now to [MENTION=1]CavySpirit[/MENTION]: we all respect your decisions but you're not coming off as choosing the "peaceful" approach to life. You're coming off as rude, judgmental, and intolerant. I was a vegetarian for a long time, and today I actually maintain a fairly vegetarian diet, because I enjoyed those foods, and I love cooking (I am a pastry chef after all). In fact I have almost no dairy in my house but that is more on account of my lactose intolerance than anything else. However, my fiance loves meat, and far be it from me to impose my decisions on someone else. So I buy the groceries, and I buy ethically raised- cage free eggs, and free range meats, and small farm raw honeys. I don't buy seafood because there really is no ethical and safe way to fish or farm for the most part (well there are just no can afford to do them).

Our personal decisions do not give us the right to tell other people how to live- end of story. It shouldn't keep you up at night either, you are doing what you can and pretty much all you can, there is no reason for you to be agonizing over things you can't change.

AmazingPiggie

Cavy Slave
Dyeing animals I am not sure it is something I would be fully into and would not completely support, but getting a dog kind of styled up or groomed with ribbons and pig tails I don't have a problem with.
you often see little dogs with a ponytail on their head with a bow and when dogs get groomed most of them love a
the attention and being brushed because it is like being petted (my dog anyway)
recently my dog benjy needed to be groomed because his coat doesn't shed itself and needs a helping hand, but when he came back he was much more happy and the lady put a pony tail in his hair and a bandanna on his collar which he didn't care to tosses about and he seemed very proud and he knew that he was all done up.
so really if people want to do theirs dogs up and groom their hair in cute ways it's none of our bees wax.
but I don't agree with dyeing animals to sell them, if a person wanted that animal they would have already known and done research and wouldn't need the animal pink or blue to want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.