Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Potty Training into corner litter pan inside cage?

amethystnat

Cavy Slave
So upon floor time in the bathroom, Floof is mostly potty trained by now. I noticed him most often doing his business in the corner next to the linen closet, so I concluded that its his potty corner so I now line that corner with newspaper at floor time and he goes on the newspaper and that's good. Yesterday I bought a small animal corner bed pan, line it with some paper, and put it on that corner. during floor time he was confused about it at first and went elsewhere, but when I put some food, his pee soaked cloth that i was going to wash later, and his hut on it, he understood and kept potty there.
when I put him back in his cage and cleaned out the bed pan and put it in the corner of his cage, I hoped he would use it, but he didn't and pooped all around his cage like usual. they were fresh poop as I had just replaced his bedding.
My question is how can I potty train him inside his cage, the same way he potty trained in floor time?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't really potty train a pig. They usually pee and poop where they spend the most time, which is where they eat and sleep.

If you've got a cooperative pig, it will pick a place that it likes to go, and you can put something there to catch most of the output. If the pig doesn't cooperate, there's not a lot you can go.

amethystnat

Cavy Slave
there does seem to be the most pee inside his little hut, which is where he sleeps and often takes his veggies. I did put the tray behind the hut.
then why does he always go in that certain corner during floor time?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's picked it as the place to go. You'd have to ask him why. lol

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
My pigs also have picked a certain place they go during floor time, but there's no pattern to where they go inside the cage. They're silly little animals.

Ah well, if I could only pick one or the other, I'd rather have them be organized during floor time. I just wish it wasn't underneath my bookshelf, it's a pain to put padding down under there and clean it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
My pigs also have picked a certain place they go during floor time, but there's no pattern to where they go inside the cage. They're silly little animals.

Ah well, if I could only pick one or the other, I'd rather have them be organized during floor time. I just wish it wasn't underneath my bookshelf, it's a pain to put padding down under there and clean it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no! lol

lisa325

Cavy Slave
@jaycriae......Have you tried blocking the bookshelf off completely, say with some coroplast and something heavy ( we use barbells ) to hold it up. When we let Mario and Yoshi loose in the kitchen area, the love to go under the microwave stand and pee, so that's the method we use to stop the little buggers from going under there lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Swimming pool noodles are also good for blocking access to low holes. You just have to make sure they don't eat the plastic.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Hm, I might try blocking it off sometime, but even if it takes some extra time to get under there it's convenient not to have to pee-proof the whole room. Thanks, though. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.