Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting I woke up to fighting

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I woke up to huggle and muggle fighting this morning, bigtime. Since 5:50 they have fought 4 times, huggle just keeps going after muggle, so far no blood but chunks of hair is flying off into the air, their mouths full of it. I gave all four rescue remedy and split off a section to place huggle by hisself. Should I undo that, I will be at gone for work from 9am to about 8-830 tonight.
I just do not want anyone getting really hurt while at work.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear :( I don't really have any advice as I would also not know what to do but just wanted to say I hope things calm down between them. They've always been together right?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Yes, since babies. They are siblings, feed store babies now about 6 or so months.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Ok, I took the separator down, my son said muggle has been acting up and I guess he is trying for top piggy and huggle is not going to give that up. All this time they haven't hurt each other while at work so I will have faith that they will not kill each other. Huggle is pissed constant hair raised even while not near the others. I checked them both over and no blood has been drawn but I even had a tuff of hair in my kitchen.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? Usually, larger than suggested cages are best for two young male pigs. It worked for me. I had a 2x4 cage and my two boars seemed to be constantly annoyed with each other and got into arguments and small fights quite a bit. Just this past December, I built them a 3x3 cage and they get along much better now. They still do get annoyed with each other every once in a while, but that's usually only when one of them is in a bad mood or something.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Hopefully they will settle!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? Usually, larger than suggested cages are best for two young male pigs. It worked for me. I had a 2x4 cage and my two boars seemed to be constantly annoyed with each other and got into arguments and small fights quite a bit. Just this past December, I built them a 3x3 cage and they get along much better now. They still do get annoyed with each other every once in a while, but that's usually only when one of them is in a bad mood or something.

I have 4 in a 5x3, two are 6 months or so and two are 3 1/2 years old.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I believe its a dominance struggle between the brothers, its all quiet now. Muggle wants to be boss but can't follow through, I watched him go up to huggle this morning and start then run away when huggle said no.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Okay. It also sounds like your two 6-month-olds are going through puberty as well, which usually adds to the dominance.

I've read that sometimes groups of boars don't get along as well as they do when they're in pairs. I'm not sure how true this is, I'm hoping someone else will jump in with suggestions as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.