Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

G_Piggler

Cavy Slave
@Amy262 I think you're talking about the 3x1 Loft half way up the 3x2 lowest floor? It's a 3x1 floor zip tied on the back and sides to the walls 5 grid squares up. It was pretty secure since it's the minimum 3 grids wide, but to prevent bowing, I clipped 3 small spring clips from the Loft railing to the ceiling in one spot. Now that I added the small interior ramp to the loft, the ramp itself is so sturdy, it gives some support as well. Another option would be to have the tunnel taller, and support the edge of the loft....

LoftLeftSide.jpg

The photo may explain it better. I think everyone should add one! So easy, it creates a nice big built in hidey house, and most importantly- it frees up space for long lap running.

One more tip, I cut the thick perimeter of the grids with a very small hack saw. I used this same saw to miter the corners of the 1/4" slide binder clips I used to finish raw edges. That's how I achieved a nice clean short grid piece for the crucial railings.

Last edited:

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I love it!! I have a somewhat similar cage, but mine has the ramp on the inside (which I'm hoping to change soon) and I also added a 3rd floor. I just recently attached the store bought cage to the lower floor to use as a kitchen, which extends the lower floor to 2x4.

One more question...your ramp on the outside...is it just zip tied to hold it on?

Bruceb

Cavy Slave
@Bruceb WOW! Now that's a beauty. The loooong back exterior ramp is bound to become the new standard, you just can't beat it. If you made those stylin' bins, could you share how? Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks :) There are so many times i walk in the room and all 4 pigs are on the ramp just going back and forth, lol. The Bins i purchased and just taped the edges with some funky duck tape to give it a fun look.
Cage Cubby

G_Piggler

Cavy Slave
@Amy262 Yes- the exterior ramp in just two bent U shaped grids, and the open side is ziptied to the exterior walls. I did have to create Coroplast ends and the top one has a few pieces HOT GLUED (Coro's best friend) to create a ceiling enclosure. Two ramp grids together fit just right on the 2 grid side wall, and create an easy enough incline. The front Coro end opens so I may slide out the ramp floor for cleaning.

ExteriorRamp.JPG

I pulled the ceiling of the ramp up a bit prior to zip tying, so it's not a true U once installed.

I'm in the process of adding a Coro landing at the bottom of the ramp so it's level with the 1grid square up entry. Hope this makes sense. :p

Last edited:

piggielover200

Cavy Slave

Bruceb

Cavy Slave
Here is mine with all the fleece and everything in it.
20130203_171037.jpg20130203_171056.jpg20130203_171107.jpg

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Bruceb I really love the organization and maximum space used in your cage. Does that window have the space heater? If the space heater is still in use, I'd use caution when it is in use. Make sure that window doesn't leak any drifts either. If it does, I'd put a blanket or towel in that area to block the drifts into the cage. Did i mention I really love those wheels?? Those are totally awesome. Great idea showing how you attached them. I wish I had hardwood floors, rolling my cage on thick carpet maybe a challenge.

Bruceb

Cavy Slave
@Bruceb I really love the organization and maximum space used in your cage. Does that window have the space heater? If the space heater is still in use, I'd use caution when it is in use. Make sure that window doesn't leak any drifts either. If it does, I'd put a blanket or towel in that area to block the drifts into the cage. Did i mention I really love those wheels?? Those are totally awesome. Great idea showing how you attached them. I wish I had hardwood floors, rolling my cage on thick carpet maybe a challenge.
Thank you. The cage is about 1.5 to 2 feet away from the Heater so it does not effect it. The window also is sealed with plastic behind the blinds. The wheels were from Harbor freight and work great especially for 3 bucks each :)

Sagers4

Cavy Slave
What an adorable set up!

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
@Bruceb do you find like the cubbies and do you think each provides alot of storage? I am thinking of buying some.

Bruceb

Cavy Slave
@Bruceb do you find like the cubbies and do you think each provides alot of storage? I am thinking of buying some.

I love them! We use.....
1 for hay
1 for pellets and treats
1 for extra cage parts etc
1 for all of the cleaning supplies (natural spray & clean towels)
1 for extra toys fleece etc
1 for a laundry basket on Sundays when we wash there fleece
Honestly my place would be a disaster without them, lol

DaisyLily

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@G_Piggler I love it! The only thing I would recommend is completely covering the bent grid tunnel. Other than that, it looks perfect!

jkilty

Cavy Slave
I'm a newbie to the group! Here's our set up for Bubbles. :)
Bubbles is a three month old female rescue piggy. We are hoping to add a sister to her enclosure soon! :)

Attachments

223430_10200493265642742_2120348207_n.jpg 479974_10200493269642842_1630990096_n.jpg 534766_10200493266842772_491911762_n.jpg 534875_10200493268082803_1233970831_n.jpg

Rach84

Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed) what flooring do you use under your fleece? xx

adelore

Cavy Slave
You could always use furniture sliders. you could somehow attach short legs then put them on furniture sliders for your thick carpet.

adelore

Cavy Slave
Waiting for the right two bonded sows in our area. Here's how we've been passing the time!

View attachment 41373

Newbie here, so veteran advice welcome!

View attachment 41375

Floor time set up with extra grids & a view of the slid-out kitchen (fleece, food, hay, and toys when G-pigs are home) (H2O bottle hooks on right side when in cage, and I think it's too big for youngins?)

View attachment 41374

I'm going to post more detailed photos in the Gallery soon. :heart: TY :heart: all for sharing your photos & experiences, I learned so much!
Awsome, just Awsome!!!!!! And you don't even have the piggies yet? Two thumbs up for a wonderful cage!

adelore

Cavy Slave
@Amy262 Yes- the exterior ramp in just two bent U shaped grids, and the open side is ziptied to the exterior walls. I did have to create Coroplast ends and the top one has a few pieces HOT GLUED (Coro's best friend) to create a ceiling enclosure. Two ramp grids together fit just right on the 2 grid side wall, and create an easy enough incline. The front Coro end opens so I may slide out the ramp floor for cleaning.

View attachment 41476

I pulled the ceiling of the ramp up a bit prior to zip tying, so it's not a true U once installed.

I'm in the process of adding a Coro landing at the bottom of the ramp so it's level with the 1grid square up entry. Hope this makes sense. :p
What is the white around the edge of the opening going into the ramp, from the cage. Again, what an awsome cage. Also how do you change the fleece?

adelore

Cavy Slave
Just want to Thank you all for posting the pictures of you cages. First let me say I spend hours looking at them, still haven't look at all of them. While I'm looking I've got my two piggie girls squeeking with joy at the sights of your cages. I then look at my C & C cage and start the rebuilding in my mind already...:) Geeze your cages are all so great. Thanks to all of you again, what an insperation you all are.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.