Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Favorite Veggies/Fruits [emoji16]

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
I didn't see another post on this, but thought it would be fun to see what all the favorites are for everyone's piggies.

I have the first picky Piggie in history lol So far she will eat: cilantro, red/green Leaf lettuce, only green peppers, and pear. That's it.

What are all of your piggies favorites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
My 2 non-picky piggies favorites are peppers and parsley. All 3 love cilantro.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Raddhicchio is expensive but worth it my pigs always eat it out first! they also like broccoli, celery, cherry tomato, cucumber, and red and orange bell pepper

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
Raddhicchio is expensive but worth it my pigs always eat it out first! they also like broccoli, celery, cherry tomato, cucumber, and red and orange bell pepper

How often do they get the radicchio? I'll have to try some for my picky piggie [emoji16]

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I get the Baby Greens Mix from Sam's and give mine a handful, they will always pick out the radicchio first before eating the rest of it. They eat romaine, green peppers, cucumbers, parsley, green onion tops and the baby bell peppers. So far that's all I can get them to eat. It's fun to watch cause anything new they will sniff and take a taste and if they don't like they look at me like I'm trying to kill them or something. Of course just about any fruit I've given they gobble down. Lovable little creatures.

Had a bunch of Mangos given to me the other day and the whole time I was peeling and slicing they were wheeking. The mangos were on the verge of being overripe so they really smelled. When I finished I gave them each a little piece and they inhaled it. There's their sweet allowance for the week. So cute, they came back for more but I gave them parsley instead and got the hairy eyeball treatment.

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
I get the Baby Greens Mix from Sam's and give mine a handful, they will always pick out the radicchio first before eating the rest of it. They eat romaine, green peppers, cucumbers, parsley, green onion tops and the baby bell peppers. So far that's all I can get them to eat. It's fun to watch cause anything new they will sniff and take a taste and if they don't like they look at me like I'm trying to kill them or something. Of course just about any fruit I've given they gobble down. Lovable little creatures.

Had a bunch of Mangos given to me the other day and the whole time I was peeling and slicing they were wheeking. The mangos were on the verge of being overripe so they really smelled. When I finished I gave them each a little piece and they inhaled it. There's their sweet allowance for the week. So cute, they came back for more but I gave them parsley instead and got the hairy eyeball treatment.

Haha the hairy eyeball treatment ❤️

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
This is my feeding schedule i stick with :) I sometimes give dandelion greens and carrots too but not too often Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 9.09.06 PM.jpgUsually i give radicchio and lettuce on saturday but I didn't update this feeding chart

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
This is my feeding schedule i stick with :) I sometimes give dandelion greens and carrots too but not too oftenView attachment 80342Usually i give radicchio and lettuce on saturday but I didn't update this feeding chart

I LOVE that you have it charted out! I should give that a try lol But I'm still figuring out what everyone likes.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Thanks @PotterThePiggie ! I originally Charted it out because my pigs were on a pellet less diet because they were leaving major calcium grit on the fleece and I used to even put each feeding for every day of the week in bags But that was so much work! now they are back on pellets and doing better with the calcium spots on the fleece but I still usually stick to this but instead of giving 3 meals a day I just give them all of this at around 7pm every night! I find it pretty easy because i don't have to worry about overfeeding one food i just look on the chart posted on the fridge and know exactly what they need to get!

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
Thanks @PotterThePiggie ! I originally Charted it out because my pigs were on a pellet less diet because they were leaving major calcium grit on the fleece and I used to even put each feeding for every day of the week in bags But that was so much work! now they are back on pellets and doing better with the calcium spots on the fleece but I still usually stick to this but instead of giving 3 meals a day I just give them all of this at around 7pm every night! I find it pretty easy because i don't have to worry about overfeeding one food i just look on the chart posted on the fridge and know exactly what they need to get!

Yes! That's such a good way to keep track of everything. Did you change pellets to improve the calcium grit problem?

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Yes! @PotterThePiggie I originally used oxbow cavy cuisine, then I switched to small pet select, then I tried some brand called Sherwood adult guinea pig food (it was supposed to be all natural and super healthy but my pigs wouldn't even touch it) , then after trying all those and still having the white chalky gritty spots on it I did research and decided to do a pellet less diet And also use the oxbow urinary support hay tabs and the pellet less diet and the urinary support helped tremendously! I used that for about 6 months but even though they were getting variety and a lot of veggies I was still scared they were missing some nutrients from the pellets so I decided to try KMS hayloft pellets! and they are the best! my pigs no longer have the chalky gritty pee spots! now, I give my pair The 1/4 a cup of pellets in the morning, then in the afternoon they each get one Oxbow urinary support hay tablet( they love them and think they are treats), and at night they get the veggies listed above! Sorry this reply was so long and probably boring to read lol!

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
Not boring at all! I had a boar years ago that would always leave these spots and I tried multiple foods and could never fix it! That's why I asked hehe So far it hasn't been an issue but it's always good to know. Thank you for taking the time to reply so thoroughly!

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
No problem @PotterThePiggie ! I had such a huge problem with it in the beginning its a tough thing to fix since there are so many factors!If you do ever have another problem with it it could also be the water you give to your piggies ! unfiltered tap water has excess calcium so you can try to give filtered water or Bottled water!

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
My piggies get bottled water like my dogs do so that won't be a problem but good to know! Do you think it's more of a boar issue too? I've heard that it's more common in males than females. I have 2 males and a female so I guess I'll be able to see lol

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Mine get in the morning carrots,radicchio,greenleaf lettuce.fresh hay and a 1/4 cup oxbow pellets.twice a week they will get half a cucumber slice, a few parsley sprigs or a few leads of baby spinach. Now for treats in the evening they will get either half a slice of strawberry,a few blueberries, every other week a slice of Apple and in between that a lettuce leaf or two.

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
Mine get in the morning carrots,radicchio,greenleaf lettuce.fresh hay and a 1/4 cup oxbow pellets.twice a week they will get half a cucumber slice, a few parsley sprigs or a few leads of baby spinach. Now for treats in the evening they will get either half a slice of strawberry,a few blueberries, every other week a slice of Apple and in between that a lettuce leaf or two.

I'll have to give blueberries a try for mine sometime! Do you cut them or leave them whole?

mdodge

Cavy Slave
I leave them whole they get 3 or 4 since there small but try not to give a lot because of the sugar.oh n I also forgot for there morning breakfast they also get a slice of yellow bell pepper.

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
I leave them whole they get 3 or 4 since there small but try not to give a lot because of the sugar.oh n I also forgot for there morning breakfast they also get a slice of yellow bell pepper.

I bet they look so cute eating them! I wish my picky piggie like yellow or red pepper it's so great for them

-PotterThePiggie

mdodge

Cavy Slave
My male you can't tell since his fur is a darker brown but my females they have lighter fur and they get blueberry mustaches lol

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
@PotterThePiggie Thats interesting about it being more of a male problem than a female problem I've never actually heard that before! but, I Only have Female pigs so i really don't know If it happens more in males :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.