Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigs in a Store!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skittyginny

Cavy Slave
Heh, get it? A take on "Snakes on a Plane"..

My piggie had been educating children with me and afterwards I needed to go to Target. Of course, it was so, so hot and I'd never leave her out there! So I might have, err, slipped her in a cuddle sack and then tucked her in my tote next to my slightly cold water bottle.. She went in with me and she was SO good! She didn't make any noise and was all 007. No one suspected a thing. :innocent:

Do YOU have any pigs in a store tales to share?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
sorry - it's me the wet blanket again. i don't think stories about stuffing a pig into a bag to go shopping, even if it is the better alternative to leaving them in a hot car, is a good, healthy, or safe way to treat pigs. we had a similar discussion on a similar thread recently. personally, i come her to share stories about how to best take care of guinea pigs. i don't think this is in keeping with that. i'm sure there are others who may feel differently however

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I just think everyone needs to quit being negative about things. It is a cute Story. And she wants to share it, so let her. It is a better alternative to leaving the guinea pig in the car

PiBee

Cavy Slave
I thought it was a funny story :) As long as she could breathe and you weren't in there too long it was fine, especially since the store had AC and that is a thousand times better than leaving her in the summer heat!

It would have been funny if somebody walked by who happened to be mildly allergic to guinea pigs and they started sneezing. They would never guess you had a guinea pig with you!

skittyginny

Cavy Slave
sorry - it's me the wet blanket again. i don't think stories about stuffing a pig into a bag to go shopping, even if it is the better alternative to leaving them in a hot car, is a good, healthy, or safe way to treat pigs. we had a similar discussion on a similar thread recently. personally, i come her to share stories about how to best take care of guinea pigs. i don't think this is in keeping with that. i'm sure there are others who may feel differently however

Do fabric cat carriers fall under this category? They are bags. You do realize bags come in a wide variety? They are not all cramped leather satchels and teeny tiny enclosed messager bags.

It was a rather large, breathable bag with a solid bottom and open top. (Think "Beach bag".) It was room temp in the bag and 105 outside. I removed all my junk before I put her in it. I really don't see the mistreatment you are speaking of.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
Haha how cute! and much better than leaving the little dear in the car! angers me when people leave their pets in cars.

And it isn't like you were keeping her in there for a long time or anything. so glad you found a solution instead of leaving her in the car.

adorable story. :D

Kota12

Cavy Slave
You have to think guys, she was going to target after Educating children, and making the choice by NOT leaving he piggy outside. I don't think it's bad, it's like she was in a cuddle sack in her cage, keeping cool with a water bottle next to her. No harm done. :)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
@jacqueline, while I can understand where you are coming from, I find it somewhat rude that you would tell her how it is a bad thing.

People have done this before and the Pig was fine in the store, and lived to tell the story. That's all that matters.

I would have done the same, I wouldn't have left them in a car even with AC on. You never know what could still happen.

Sure, what [MENTION=23352]skittyginny[/MENTION] did wouldn't have been my or most people's idea of the safest alternative, but it needed to be done and was alright for the time being.

;)

I find the story cute! I haven't had to take the Pigs in a store, and I can't fathom ever needing to for some odd reason. :D

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
@Zuidy - what i posted was my personal opinion and reaction to the OP's story. i didn't think it was a cute story. we are all of us here free to express our feelings and opinions. those feelings and opinions can, and often do, differ

i carefully worded my post to avoid being rude. because i truly believe everyone has the right to think somethings is cute, or not, and to express that here in this forum.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think the bigger issue is the notion that guinea pigs should be hauled/toted off to stores or other places for amusement or other reasons which serve no purpose or benefit to the pig. I don't see pointing out the obvious issues (potential or otherwise) with doing so as being "negative." It's a responsible approach and as much as some people may want to hee and haw over how cute it is, there are others who choose to treat it for what it is - a novelty that benefits the human and nothing else, and which shouldn't be encouraged. I tend to fall into the latter. As I've said before, I couldn't possibly care less what any one individual chooses to do with their guinea pigs - but this recent trend of finding it "funny" to take guinea pigs into public places for our own benefit is not to be encouraged and I don't have the first problem with a responsible member choosing to point that out. If you don't like it, that's fine, that's your opinion and your right, just as it is someone's right to state the opinion that it's not cute or sweet or anything other than borderline irresponsible and selfish to haul these sensitive, easily frightened animals into an overly crowded environment for no benefit of their own. It's not the same as taking your pig to a necessary vet visit, and it's definitely not the same as it would be if I were to take my two people, attention loving dogs into a crowded environment where they would definitely benefit and dare I say, thrive.

Personally, I think "educating children" (or anyone else) can be done just as easily and just as well without subjecting a living creature to the stress of travel, sitting through a presentation, and potentially being pawed and mauled over by kids and adults, and while I definitely appreciate that the OP wouldn't leave a guinea pig in a hot car and opted to take the animal inside instead, I don't think it was necessary and am not going to pretend it's "cute" while not mentioning that fact. If that's not the popular opinion, I don't much care.

cibrown

Cavy Slave
You can actually get guinea pigs approved as therapy dogs. I met with one of the people in my state that is a judge for therapy and service animals. He runs a program using mostly dogs at a local hospital.
We have an educational zoo where people can come in by appointment to learn about the care and responsibility of pet ownership. We are very clear with the expectations of what can at what can't be done. We take the animals out of their cages, give them the appropriate food to feed them and stay near so that the animal is safe.
I think that we need to educate people of the way to care for animals. If we don't, many people will continue to harm animals out of ignorance.
Our animals do not leave their home unless it is to go to the vet. We could have a thriving business if we took them to places but it is our choice not to.
I did think the Target story was cute but not something I would have done.
As many others have said on this thread... we have different opinions...but love for our little piggies.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I have to agree with some of the other poster advising against something like this. It may be a cute story, but it's not good for the pig (Not having any food or water, being stressed and scared) Stories like this are not harmless, it leads others to think something like this is ok, and fun when it can really be bad for the pigs. The only place I ever take my pig is to Therapy appointments because I couldn't go otherwise. She goes in a carrier with plenty of hay and watered down veggies that I feed her while holding her in there. Plus her personality is one to not be scared of anything. I would never take Godric or Ro Dah because they would be to scared of going to a place like that, but Fus just falls asleep in my lap and purrs. (The good kind of purring)

schavarry

Cavy Slave
These stories make me think about the other day when I was walking through Walmart and saw a small dog (not sure of breed but it looked like a tall wiener dog to me) in a basket of an electric shopping cart. My first thought was "aww cute doggy!" but then I realized it was shaking/trembling and was terrified of being in the store. I felt bad for the poor little dog but he was probably somewhat used to being out around other people, I can't imagine putting a guinea pig in that situation!

As cute as it might be to see them in a stroller, or fit it into your purse so you can go shopping, or pet one at a petting zoo, try to see things from their perspective and realized how stressful this can be for them and think twice before you do it, please. *another wet blanket*

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Jeez, I hope nobody shares stories about bringing their pigs around to different places. Guinea pigs are not the kinds of animals that appreciate that sort of thing. They're tiny, scared, and wimpy prey animals. The sounds of the outside world are unpredictable and terrifying.

I also find it ironic you were teaching children about this guinea pig, and simultanously being an irresponsible owner.

PiBee

Cavy Slave
I've seen pigs that love being out in public... obviously in the minority but completely possible. They cuddle right into their pillow or bed and act normal as long as it's not hectic. It's completely possible that the OP's pig is like this and some posters should realize that they don't know every detail about the pig or the situation before they call her an irresponsible owner or tell her she's endangering the pig and whatnot, that's crossing the line and if you are concerned for the pig, PM her yourself and perhaps she will describe the situation and then you can make your judgement.

Maybe she is a bad owner, maybe she's not, it's not my (or anyone elses) place to say. All I'm saying is don't go to a forum and accuse someone of being a bad owner when you don't know the details. At least speak to her in private if you feel strongly enough.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Even if the pig was fine with it, which would be hard to tell, because some things guinea pigs do can be mistaken for not being scared, such as just laying still, that can mean they are extremely scared. This post can still lead others to want to do the same because they think it's fine, or it seems like a cool or fun thing.

Liknvi

Cavy Slave
With my pigs, they still don't trust my parents, who have been around since the pigs came home. I can't imagine taking them somewhere with real strangers.

Perhaps some guinea pigs might enjoy being with people, but I would say it's a rare trait and I wouldn't risk the stress for my own humour or gain. You'll never know if guinea pigs like people or not without trying, but as someone who has dealt with anxiety issues... The first attempt isn't always worth it, especially when nothing is really gained by the party being tested. Pigs will always prefer the company of their own kind over people.

The main problem I see with this kind of thread, though, has been stated by others; while your pig might not have been bothered by it, others might get the impression that their pigs won't be bothered either.

Xeygwyn

Cavy Slave
The simple fact is, no one knows exactly what their pig(s), or any other, is thinking. That being said, you never know whether they are utterly terrified, hiding from the stress and shock of being toted around, or completely fine.

What I am getting at - I don't know why any one would risk even the possibility of making their animal fearful or stressed in the first place, when not an absolute necessity for the life of the pig. Especially ones as fragile as cavies.

I may be a wet blanket, and I am calling no one an irresponsible pet owner, but I am saying that it should not be encouraged.

PiBee

Cavy Slave
I think it's obvious from the arguments on this thread that what she did wasn't good, but that's one of the points of the forum; to educate people. I support what people are trying to say, and I don't think anyone on here is a wet blanket, but the OP made an honest mistake and that's what this forum is here for. And anyone who reads this thread in the future will understand as well :)

But there have been accusations already of her being an irresponsible owner and that's absolutely out of line, uncalled for, and immature. It's called a mistake. She clearly meant no harm by what she did.

I'm not against anyone here and not trying to fight, I just didn't come to this forum to witness users telling each other they're bad owners. I came for advice and the majority of you have given it and given it kindly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.