Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions UNDERWEIGHT? Weight and age of a young guinea pig.

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
Hello, everyone!

So I've had my piggy for almost 4 weeks now. She's young when I got her, she was the smallest one out of her cage mates. I still don't know how old is she because we still haven't taken her to the vet yet. Sadly, I still don't know when I'll finally be able to take her. Anyway, I started weighing her last Friday and it said 370g. I weighed her again Monday and she was 385g. I will weigh her again later tonight.

My question is.. Is she underweight? And can her age be determined with the said weight or I still need to track her weight to figure out?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
It is hard to age a guinea pig honestly. I would suggest feeling her. If you can feel her bones very prominently, then she is probably a bit underweight. It isn't uncommon in pigs that are store bought. (Not saying yours are, just saying!) Can you post a picture by chance?

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
It is hard to age a guinea pig honestly. I would suggest feeling her. If you can feel her bones very prominently, then she is probably a bit underweight. It isn't uncommon in pigs that are store bought. (Not saying yours are, just saying!) Can you post a picture by chance?

I will try that later tonight when I weigh her. And yes you are right. Meeyu was store bought because of parents. They wanted a pet for my lil bro but instead I ended up taking care of her.

Here's the latest video I have of her during floor time last Monday that I just uploaded on YouTube:
I figured it might be better than a photo.

Last edited:

aspecht

Cavy Slave
She does appear to be underweight. Just keep feeding her and giving her the fresh veggies. You can also supplement with Alfalfa hay as long as she is under 6 months old.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's not really much point in worrying about the weight of very young pigs unless there's something obviously going wrong, such as an infection of some kind or some inability to move. They're going to eat everything they can get their teeth on anyway, and it's hard to feed them any more than they're already getting. Also, the pups vary a LOT in size when they're born -- some are very small, some are very large. Since you don't know what size this one started off at, there's no way to know yet whether she's growing properly.

What you should do is weigh her (kitchen scale that goes up to about 5 pounds in both ounces & grams, cost about $15) regularly and record the weights. She should be steadily gaining, but not necessarily the same average amount per day. Weigh her once a week -- that's often enough unless she's ill.

I assume you're feeding her a good quality plain alfalfa pellet, along with good hay and plenty of veggies. That's really all you need to do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.