Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do NOT support petsmart and petco..watch this. *MAY BE DISTURBING*

rainbowwriter77

Cavy Slave
very depressing video

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
Why so much negative feedback? :(

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
This is exactly what I tried to explain. Thank you very much.

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
You have got to be kidding. How can you defend these companies that neglect and abuse their animals. The reason I posted this was o be sure people knew the truth about these stores. You need to calm down and stop defend animal cruelty.

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
Fine defend animal abuse. But what your doing is a horrible action to all piggie lovers. I will never support such neglect and abuse and I'm shocked you are

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
Okay, now I totally agree, this is horrible. And while at the same time I know not all of this is true. My local Petco is absolutely amazing. We know the workers personally. When I went to adopt a hamster (from the side adoption tanks/ the ones they were fostering back to health) upon MY request they led me to the back and I witnessed them giving medicine to sick animals (NOT FORCEFULLY) and I went to Petsmart on a Saturday and they were cleaning out all the cages, I went back on that Monday and they were cleaning them out again.

The guinea pigs had more than enough hay, and there were only two of them, the same gender, as they don't want to risk the accidently placement.
The hamsters of the same breed that didn't get along were in a separate tank titled "Semi- aggressive."
I don't ever plan on getting animals from them. but whenever I look, they SEEM to be in good hands, the ones in my area anyways.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Theres being against and theres being rude...

Who's being rude? It's been said many times, if you think someone has posted something rude/offensive, report it. Posting about it will do next to nothing.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Wow. I cannot believe how brutal that video is... and how UNTRUE it is.

Untrue? Were you watching the same video that was posted? The video was footage of it REALLY happening. You can't say it's "untrue". The video speaks for itself.

I have been in their back rooms where the "sick animals are hidden". They're not "hidden" they are isolated so that the illness cannot spread!

Yes, isolated in a room that the general public cannot access. How is that not hidden?

Can you imagine how people would freak if a sick pet was kept housed with all the healthy pets?

But the sick animals ARE housed with healthy ones! I've been in before and have seen lethargic guinea pigs with nasal discharge fluffed up sitting in the corner of the cage. I have seen hamsters laying on their side breathing heavily. This has happened more than once. I reported it to one of the employees immediately. They didn't seem too worked up about it. More like, "Oh...okay. Thanks"

Of COURSE the sick pets are "hidden" in the back; that's the only sensible thing to do.

Wait, I thought you said they weren't hidden??

Petsmart does NOT have a fridge stuffed full of dead animals (unless you count the packaged frozen feeder mice for the snakes),

Wrong! I volunteer with an animal organization that is housed inside a Petsmart. We go into the "wellness room" to dump the mop water after our shift and I have SEEN the freezer. It is even marked on top "Deceased Animal Remains".

CavySprit covered all the reasons you might want to look into it a bit more before spouting off about how "great" Petsmart is so I won't waste my breath but seriously...regardless of what you think of Petsmart, they still perpetuate the breeding mill industry and compound the overpopulation problem by doing do. I think all those employees you mentioned who care about the animals would be shocked to find out about the conditions that the animals come from.

Last edited:

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
The thing is, why should Petsmart, Petco, or any pet store be commended for doing these things? They're all just proper care, not anything out of the ordinary. They medicate sick animals. Big deal. I would certainly hope they wouldn't let them suffer. The pigs have hay. Big whippy wow. That's just as it should be, not something extraordinary. They clean the cages regularly. Big deal. I clean my girls' cage daily and don't expect any kudos for it. It's a sad state of affairs when pet stores are praised for doing proper animal care.

Okay, now I totally agree, this is horrible. And while at the same time I know not all of this is true. My local Petco is absolutely amazing. We know the workers personally. When I went to adopt a hamster (from the side adoption tanks/ the ones they were fostering back to health) upon MY request they led me to the back and I witnessed them giving medicine to sick animals (NOT FORCEFULLY) and I went to Petsmart on a Saturday and they were cleaning out all the cages, I went back on that Monday and they were cleaning them out again.

The guinea pigs had more than enough hay, and there were only two of them, the same gender, as they don't want to risk the accidently placement.
The hamsters of the same breed that didn't get along were in a separate tank titled "Semi- aggressive."
I don't ever plan on getting animals from them. but whenever I look, they SEEM to be in good hands, the ones in my area anyways.

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
The thing is, why should Petsmart, Petco, or any pet store be commended for doing these things? They're all just proper care, not anything out of the ordinary. They medicate sick animals. Big deal. I would certainly hope they wouldn't let them suffer. The pigs have hay. Big whippy wow. That's just as it should be, not something extraordinary. They clean the cages regularly. Big deal. I clean my girls' cage daily and don't expect any kudos for it. It's a sad state of affairs when pet stores are praised for doing proper animal care.

I'm saying that from what I have seen at my location or pets mart and cos they take care of their animals!!!!! This is what this thread is about!!!!! I'm not saying that they shouldn't feed and clean of course they should. I'm just saying they are! However my point is I'm not trying to make bad with anyone over opinions and we don't have the
same people who work there either and I do think that shelters are so much better instead of buying your piggie and recommend it. All I'm saying is not all Pets marts and petcos are as bad as that one shown in the video. Sorry if I offended you I didn't mean to.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm saying that from what I have seen at my location or pets mart and cos they take care of their animals!!!!! This is what this thread is about!!!!! I'm not saying that they shouldn't feed and clean of course they should. I'm just saying they are! However my point is I'm not trying to make bad with anyone over opinions and we don't have the
same people who work there either and I do think that shelters are so much better instead of buying your piggie and recommend it. All I'm saying is not all Pets marts and petcos are as bad as that one shown in the video. Sorry if I offended you I didn't mean to.

The issue of why Petco and Petsmart and other chains and stores are "bad" isn't because they don't take care of their animals as much as it is WHERE they get their animals from and HOW they "SELL" their stock. Geez, it's not what you see it's what you don't see that is the issue. Shall we dig up the distributor videos for you?

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
The issue of why Petco and Petsmart and other chains and stores are "bad" isn't because they don't take care of their animals as much as it is WHERE they get their animals from and HOW they "SELL" their stock. Geez, it's not what you see it's what you don't see that is the issue. Shall we dig up the distributor videos for you?

I know. That's why I said I am FOR shelters. The breeders are usually not so good. AND THAT IS MY POINT. I was saying that from what I SEE they seem to be doing fine, that's the problem. They act like selling the animals is something they SHOULD do. Its actually horrible. Not only is it bad for them it's also bad for kids and people getting them, you should never think of an animal as something you can get rid of or replace as most animals are
a long time commitment. I hope this cleared things up. I agree with all of you and maybe I just didn't explain it correctly in my first post. Sorry.

Edit: I am AGAINST Petsmart and Petco.

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave

Okay. We see not to understand the way I worded that. Maybe if you read my reply to CavySpirit it would make sense. Let me know if it doesn't. I am for shelters. I am against shelters. My whole problem is that what I see and what really goes on are so different and they can hide it so easily. More people should know about this!!!! Kudos to the creator of this thread, getting the word out there.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Let me know if it doesn't. I am for shelters. I am against shelters. My whole problem is that what I see and what really goes on are so different and they can hide it so easily.

Woops! Maybe you need to clarify once more?? :)

Dessypoobear

Cavy Slave
I work at Petsmart does that make me a bad person? This is RIDICULOUS.

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
Oh dear, my bad!!!!!
AGAINST PETSMART AND PETCO!!!!! Same goes with all other petstores who sell animals.
FOR shelters. Let me see if I can edit that post!!!!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I work at Petsmart does that make me a bad person? This is RIDICULOUS.

Ummm no? I wouldn't read too much into things. What exactly are you referring to that is "RIDICULOUS"?

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I meant AGAINST Petstores and FOR shelters.... silly me.

Dessypoobear

Cavy Slave
Ummm no? I wouldn't read too much into things. What exactly are you referring to that is "RIDICULOUS"?

talking poorly about people who work at Petsmart i work there and i don't hurt animals and NO ONE in petcare mistreats an animal and they name ALL the animals and i have seen many people say no to sell a pet to a customer. I would just appericate the slander away from the employes because im not a bad person and id like to not be called one for working at a company.

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
talking poorly about people who work at Petsmart i work there and i don't hurt animals and NO ONE in petcare mistreats an animal and they name ALL the animals and i have seen many people say no to sell a pet to a customer. I would just appericate the slander away from the employes because im not a bad person and id like to not be called one for working at a company.
Not trying to say anything to offend you, but then how would you like to explain what we just watched in that video?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.