Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Kitchens

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
I see a lot of "kitchens" posted on here. Are they recommended ? I have a 2x6 with 4 pigs, how big should it be ?

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Kitchens aren't required, but they are recommended if you have fleece. They are just basically the area of the cage where the hay and pellets and water is. Typically bedding or wood pellets is used inside of a pan or litter box, and it catches all the stray hay so as to help keep it off the fleece. And since most pigs potty where they eat, it helps to keep the fleece cleaner since you change out the bedding every day. Kitchens can be as big as you feel they should be, it all depends on how many pigs you have and what kind of space you have. My kitchen is just a little bin that I cut a hole in and it's the size of a 1x1. I have only 2 pigs so it works. But I'll probably make a bigger one when I upgrade to 2x6. It's all up to you.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
Thanks @HollyLeaf ! Is there a recommendation on how many pellet dishes, water bottles and hay racks you should have when you have multiple pigs.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Thanks @HollyLeaf ! Is there a recommendation on how many pellet dishes, water bottles and hay racks you should have when you have multiple pigs.

Well, I have one decent sized pellet dish for my two pigs, and one longish hay rack that I fill to the brim. I'm planning on adopting a third pig, so I'm going to make another hay rack and possibly get another pellet dish. As for the water bottles, I just have one, but my pigs don't drink a ton. Since you have four, I'd have at least two bottles, if not three, especially if they drink a decent amount between the four of them. I've heard having more then one bottle encourages them to drink more, which is why I'm probably getting another one of those too.

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I couldn't imagine not having a kitchen. I have a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft. I have 2 kitchens, one on the main floor which is the size of a 2x1 and a smaller one in the loft. I put wood pellets in mine for bedding and I have a hay rack in each one. I moved my water bottles just outside and put small brick pavers under them to catch any drips. I also put my girls pellet dishes just outside of the kitchens. This gives them plenty of room. I have 3 girls. I have 3 small pellet dishes 2 down stairs and one upstairs.(To prevent fighting) and 2 water bottles 1 up and 1 down. The reason I love my kitchens is because they contain the hay and my girls pretty much pee exclusively in them. I scoop out the wet pellets every few days and my cage is smell free.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.