Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My sweet babies!

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
Hi! My name is Natalie and I have two wonderful Guinea pis Caroline and Niklaus that I rescued from a wrongly cared for pet store back in October. Though they are now seperated except for supervised floor time Caroline has fallen pregnant. She is due very soon and I am excited to see the beautiful babies! I am hoping for male and female piggies so the both of them have cage mates. I am planning on getting a couple of cage and cubby systems for the both of them so that they have plenty of space to live and play. This is a picture of Niklaus hanging out while I cleaned his cage.

Attachments

IMG_20160119_151121_172.jpg

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! He is very cute. I know it's too late now that your girl is already pregnant, but in the future, they should not be together, even for floor time. Guinea pigs can mate in seconds, and all you have to do is get momentarily distracted and it's too late. Keep in mind that any male babies should be separated from Mom and sisters at three weeks. We do look forward to seeing pictures of your girl and her babies (when they arrive).

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Can't wait for pigtures! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
What are they currently housed in?

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
Caroline gave birth to a pup last night but it was stillborn. Although this is sad she is right back to normal and I am just glad that I still have her.

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
They are currently housed in two regular store bought cages. Just something temporary until I can get them their new cages.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Caroline gave birth to a pup last night but it was stillborn. Although this is sad she is right back to normal and I am just glad that I still have her.

Please don't allow them to breed anymore. In IL, you have access to countless rescues. Some of the most reputable ones are located in IL and Indiana so no matter where you are in the state, there are tons of guinea pigs needing homes here. Craigslist and animal control are also good sources. Although I volunteer with a rescue, all 4 of my current guinea pigs are from craigslist in IL and Indiana.

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
It was an accidental pregnancy I can assure you it won't happen again. When I get their cages ordered and set up I will probably look for house mates for the both of them. I tried looking on Craigslist for rescues but there wasn't any at the time and the two I have were in a very small glass tank at the pet store when I got them. If I get more I will probably go back to the same pet store just because of how badly they are are treated there. I want to rescue as many as possible.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I don't reccomend getting anymore from a pet store. They are treated really badly there, but if you buy more, they'll just replace the guinea pigs you bought with more guinea pigs.

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
It's not a commercial pet store. It is locally owned and what not so I don't think she is going to try to replace any of the missing piggies. I just want to get them from that store because she literally keeps 10 to 15 piggies in a small commercial cage. I held a couple of them the last time I was there and they were all very sweet.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's not a commercial pet store. It is locally owned and what not so I don't think she is going to try to replace any of the missing piggies. I just want to get them from that store because she literally keeps 10 to 15 piggies in a small commercial cage. I held a couple of them the last time I was there and they were all very sweet.
Buying from a pet store is not rescuing them. It's a business that is making money off of breeding them and you support their effort when you buy them. Once you purchase them, they breed more to replace them. (Supply and demand) The way to stop them is to not patronize their business. There are about 900 guinea pigs listed at any time on Petfinder. That does not include the numbers on craigslist or at animal control/humane societies. Where are roughly located in IL? I'm sure we can find sources for guinea pigs for you to rescue.

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
I live a couple of hours south of Chicago. Logan county.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I live a couple of hours south of Chicago. Logan county.

The majority of guinea pigs from Critter Corral Guinea pig rescue are located in Steger and EARPS is located in Brownsburg IN. You're probably halfway between both of them. A lot of the rescues will meet you part way or have events that spread out from where they're located. There's a also one called Rescued Guinea pigs located in Sellersburg IN. That's farther from you but the woman who runs it has done road trips to move guinea pigs to and from other rescue when one is full and will meet up with someone to get a guinea pig to them. I'd contact them to say you're interested in adopting and ask for information to adopt from them. There are probably shelters closer to you, too. Keep in mind that most people who run and volunteer with rescues have regular jobs so there might not be an immediate response.

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you! I will definitely look into these places!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
There's also Wheekers Guinea pig rescue in Valparaiso IN but that might be farther from you. You can still contact them to see if they have fosters near you or if they do road trips or have events closer to you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.