Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Predator protection? Snakes/insects etc?

Rybo5000

Cavy Slave
Hi there,

I've just moved to Queensland, Australia.

As you'll know, Queensland is hot and it's in Australia which means it's got all kinds of scary things.

Until now, my guinea pigs have been living in their C&C cage with no roof as I've never really had need of one but now that I live somewhere with possible snakes and things like that, I'm worried about protection.

What should I do, if anything, to keep my guinea pigs more secure? They are on a tall table, not the ground but if something is determined I'm sure it could make it's way up to them.

Any tips or ideas?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We never recommend keeping guinea pigs outside. Besides heat and biting/stinging things, you're missing out on all the enjoyment of being able to watch and interact with them. I've never understood why people have pets just to keep them outside.

They also can succumb to illnesses very quickly, and if they're not where you can observe them all the time, you can miss the early symptoms when treatment would make the difference between life and death.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We never recommend keeping guinea pigs outside. Besides heat and biting/stinging things, you're missing out on all the enjoyment of being able to watch and interact with them. I've never understood why people have pets just to keep them outside.

They also can succumb to illnesses very quickly, and if they're not where you can observe them all the time, you can miss the early symptoms when treatment would make the difference between life and death.

I don't think they are kept outside. I think OP is concerned more about how to protect them better if the creepy crawlies get INSIDE the house. And if I understand things correctly, they can and do get inside.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@Rybo5000, please clarify if you are keeping the pigs indoors or outdoors. You don't specifically say but when you say "not the ground" instead of "not the floor" it sounds as if they are outside.

Hi there,
What should I do, if anything, to keep my guinea pigs more secure? They are on a tall table, not the ground but if something is determined I'm sure it could make it's way up to them.

Rybo5000

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Guinea pigs are inside of course! No way would I let them outside in this heat with all predators around!

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can add a lid to the cage. See these galleries for ideas:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Rybo5000

Cavy Slave
You can add a lid to the cage.(broken link removed)

Hey lissie, do you think a lid is enough? I was thinking of something like chicken wire on the outside or something like that might be needed?

lissie

Cavy Slave
What are the chances of these predators getting inside the house?
Maybe chicken wires wrapped around the cage?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Actually the chances of a snake getting inside a home in queensland are higher than you might think (see https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-28/snakes-found-in-homes-queensland-rain-snake-catchers/9484386 ). Grids and a lid alone definitely won't keep a snake out. You need mesh/wire smaller than 1cm by 1cm and you need to be very careful not to leave any gaps bigger than 1cm.

Have a read of this news story from November of 2017 to get a better idea of what I mean (warning, guinea pigs were eaten). This happened inside their home in a cage they had tried to snake proof. https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/37805622/carpet-python-found-in-cage-after-eating-guinea-pigs/

lissie

Cavy Slave
That is scary!
How about making a lid from something like this?
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.